post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Consumer Reports '06 car picks

Asians rock.[:D]

Mercedes got in one of the last places.

But go Japanese. And especially go the TL. Possibly my most favorite car after MB, and possibly my first car.[:D]

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Kajtek1 - 3/3/2006 5:01 PM

Quote:
chiphomme - 3/3/2006 12:44 PM

Why would you bother taking advice from a magazine that also reviews sewing machines?
Because they are the only one having no incentive in promoting any brand, or design?
CR is having very limited testing done on the cars, but the reports are based on members. Listen what average American has to say, or either take it, or try to educate them.
Education is not strong part in US lately. While smart keys and implanted chips are becoming every day items in Europe, they are still considered science-fiction in US.
But the times will come...
CR appears to have complete integrity, not least because they don't accept advertising. They also don't permit mfr's to advertise their results, which I'm not sure I completely understand. But their integrity is unimpeachable, and I hope it stays that way. Can't say that about too many people.

post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2008 CLK63 Black Series, 2008 Cayenne GTS
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Marsden - 3/3/2006 6:20 PM

Quote:
Kajtek1 - 3/3/2006 5:01 PM

Quote:
chiphomme - 3/3/2006 12:44 PM

Why would you bother taking advice from a magazine that also reviews sewing machines?
Because they are the only one having no incentive in promoting any brand, or design?
CR is having very limited testing done on the cars, but the reports are based on members. Listen what average American has to say, or either take it, or try to educate them.
Education is not strong part in US lately. While smart keys and implanted chips are becoming every day items in Europe, they are still considered science-fiction in US.
But the times will come...
CR appears to have complete integrity, not least because they don't accept advertising. They also don't permit mfr's to advertise their results, which I'm not sure I completely understand. But their integrity is unimpeachable, and I hope it stays that way. Can't say that about too many people.

Integrity isn't the issue. They don't specialize in automobiles. Their reviews are milktoast nothingness.
They don't go into much depth and they don't test very many cars.

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

^^^^
Try teling that to the April(?) issue buyers.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

Quote:
asianml - 3/3/2006 9:49 PM

^^^^
the same people that need consumer reports to tell them which car to buy are the same people that need the "caution!: hot coffee" disclaimer on their coffee cups from mc donalds.

they are the same people that are told to buy their clothing, eye wear, shoes, accessories and fucking toiletries from other assorted magazines.

for them, i am trememndously sad. personally, i know what a good car is just by driving it, listening to it and most of all....

i need a car to speak to my heart, not my "logical, bean-counting side"

to be fair, its nice that everyone has jumped on the japocrap bandwagon-- it lets me spend less on a domestic that is only 6% more prone to be unreliable-- 6% isnt even the difference between an a and a b.

does it not occur to these readers that the japanese automobiles only scored an 88 percent "trouble free" score v. the domestics 82%?

thats not even enough points to make ones transcript better at university, why is it such a big deal here?

a b is a b is a b, no matter if its a b plus or a b minus. for the extra expense of buying that dreadful, tiny, buzzy, last years accord wannabe civic, one can get into a 6% less reliable domestic for around 4,000 less dollars.

for that kind of price difference, i feel the "risk" is completly permissable.

[:)]

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

i didnt mention that honda charges install fees for *EVERY* option either.

they call them accessories to make it ok, but what the fuck?

i am NOT paying install fees on things like ashtrays that sit in cup holders, floor matts or freaking mud flaps.

and 450 for a rear trunk lip?!

they used to charge install fees for a cd deck if the model you picked didnt come with it from factory(none of them did-- a cd player was a dealer add on, not a factory option.

its silly for people that want a car a certain way to shop with the japanese brands-- theyre not customizable from factory, you have to pay the service department to option your car, not the factory-- another extra expense.

post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1986 300SDL

Quote:
iNeon - 3/4/2006 1:16 PM

Quote:
asianml - 3/3/2006 9:49 PM

^^^^
the same people that need consumer reports to tell them which car to buy are the same people that need the "caution!: hot coffee" disclaimer on their coffee cups from mc donalds.

they are the same people that are told to buy their clothing, eye wear, shoes, accessories and fucking toiletries from other assorted magazines.

for them, i am trememndously sad. personally, i know what a good car is just by driving it, listening to it and most of all....

i need a car to speak to my heart, not my "logical, bean-counting side"

to be fair, its nice that everyone has jumped on the japocrap bandwagon-- it lets me spend less on a domestic that is only 6% more prone to be unreliable-- 6% isnt even the difference between an a and a b.

does it not occur to these readers that the japanese automobiles only scored an 88 percent "trouble free" score v. the domestics 82%?

thats not even enough points to make ones transcript better at university, why is it such a big deal here?

a b is a b is a b, no matter if its a b plus or a b minus. for the extra expense of buying that dreadful, tiny, buzzy, last years accord wannabe civic, one can get into a 6% less reliable domestic for around 4,000 less dollars.

for that kind of price difference, i feel the "risk" is completly permissable.

We're loud, we're proud, now STFU. Hey little buddy, I am one of those people that reads Consumer Reports and believe it or not I don't need a warning label on my coffee.
What I do need is a source that will give me impartial information when I go out to buy a new vacuum (Dyson), toaster (GE) or cell phone (Motorola).
Maybe when you grow up you will realize that intelligent people value the highest quality and reliability. Consumer Reports provides a valuable service to me since I really don't feel like being the test dummy for some corporation's products.
BTW, how's that Neon of yours doing? Didn't Chrysler have a reputation for doing their QC in the field (meaning by their customers?).
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
LK ONE - 3/4/2006 10:09 PM

We're loud, we're proud, now STFU. Hey little buddy, I am one of those people that reads Consumer Reports and believe it or not I don't need a warning label on my coffee.
What I do need is a source that will give me impartial information when I go out to buy a new vacuum (Dyson), toaster (GE) or cell phone (Motorola).
Maybe when you grow up you will realize that intelligent people value the highest quality and reliability. Consumer Reports provides a valuable service to me since I really don't feel like being the test dummy for some corporation's products.
BTW, how's that Neon of yours doing? Didn't Chrysler have a reputation for doing their QC in the field (meaning by their customers?).[/QUOTE]

intuition and past experience plays a great role in my decisions of this nature.

i dont need to spend 4.99 a month to get other peoples opinions about products. i buy them from the people who sold me my last one.

i still use nintendo gaming consoles. i still wear levis jeans. i still use apple computers and have only owned rca televisions.

why do you need to find out what type of vacuum is the best? you should be using a kirby. ours is steel and about 25 years old. itll stub a toe.

the neon is fine, hes about to be replaced with a newer model in the next year. 140k, a head gasket, fuel pump, window regulator and sunroof rails have been replaced thus far, along with normal things like oil, filters, plugs, wires brake pads and tires.

not a bad deal, i think the left over leons are selling for about 10, for it to last 10 years and 150k or so, that isnt so bad[:)] cute too.

post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)

Quote:
iNeon - 3/4/2006 11:15 PM

why do you need to find out what type of vacuum is the best? you should be using a kirby. ours is steel and about 25 years old. itll stub a toe.
Well, CR gives you actual value of the product, not some promotional stunts, that makes Kirby so "valuable".
I had Kirby salesman in my house for over an hour doing his trick, only to show him, that my Hoover still can pick some dirt after Kirby. Point is, that there is always some dirt left no matter how good vacuum is.
But when at the end of presentation I brought vacuum gauge from my shop and measured, that Kirby's suction is 40% lower, than Hoover the salesman called his chef supervisor for the advice and left my home with comments, that this situation have never happened to him in his XX year carrier.
That is how average Joe is easy to brainwash by trained salesman and that's what this system is based on.
Nice to have an exception like CR.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

It should be interesting to note that those who aren't in the know, that Consumer Reports buys every car they test anonymously off the dealer lot. When they're done with them, they offer them first to employees to buy, then wholesale the rest at an auto auction. This pevents the manufacturer from 'padding' the results of the tests. No chance the car gets tampered with and a good reliable road test is given.

The reliability results are structured to reflect the truth of the average consumer's views. If I understand correctly, if they receive 1000 results from their members about one particular model, the top 10% and the worst 10% are thrown out with the remainder averaged in to reflect a more truer result about the reliability (i.e. , if a CR member happens to work at the dealer and gives high marks for his car, then those results are most likely thrown out). Chronic complainers, lemon owners and dealer moles will not be reflected in the average results. The only way a lemon owner will see his results reflected is if more than 10% of the worst cars are chronically defective.

It should also be interesting to note that CR has rated the Apple Computer products at the top for over 5 years running. The thing about Apple, though, you don't need the magazine to tell you what a great computer it is. All you have to do is use one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in