Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2002 C230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Consumer Reports '06 car picks

Quote:
Kajtek1 - 3/2/2006 4:55 PM

ML had a lot of complains.
Bottom line, the last Japanese I owned was 19 years ago.
You have to admit, that on average, the initial gen ML does have a ton of issues. Good to hear that yours hasn't.

The last Japanese car I owned was a 1990 CRX Si. And still have it, 165k later. I'll never get rid of it. Everything works, it's fun to drive, hasn't been to the shop for 5 different sunroof mechanisms, and the climate controls make sense.

Unless it's an SLK350, I won't be buying another Benz. Their total lack of caring about manual transmissions and general soft nature aren't very enticing. Maybe an Elise instead...

2002 Ccoupe, not as good as others, apparently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: ML430/ SL500 SA

Consumer Reports is a liberal rag. They have an agenda.

Consider this along with the excellent info they provide and make your own choice.

Also consider the meaning of a survey that depends upon "self reported" defects.

"I feel much better ever since I gave up hope."

1999 ML430 * Navigation System * 285/70 R17 All terrain T/As -33 inchers*ORC suspension lift kit* Side Step Rail Rock Sliders * Brush Guard * HELLA lamps * Front Skid Plate* All Weather Mats * All-Terrain Rear Seat Cover * Wet Okole Neoprene Front seat covers* All-Weather Rear Cargo Mat/Divider * Yakima LoadWarrior Rack * Roofmount Fullsize spare * Trailer Hitch * Rhino Hitch Step* Rhino Tail Light Guards* WARN 8000i Multi-Mount Winch* Go-Light Remote Motorized Spotlight * Moto-Jack Motorcycle Carrier

2002 SL500 Sliver Arrow w/limited edition James Bond briefcase
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Liberal rag? Jesus, not car critics too? Maybe your a little too conservative? The guide is merely that, a guide from a certain general perspective where logic and rational are the goals, not passion and desire. Use it as one tool of many when considering buying a new depreciating pig of a car that plummets in value daily. Enjoy!
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)

I think Consumer Reports is doing good job.
Actually this is the only independent publication, that does any testing and reporting on US soil.
How different from Europe, when even a small country has a dozen such agencies.
To understand how the car report works you have to follow the "chain". CR takes the data from the subscribers.
Subscribers answer the question about what they have based on what they know about it.
Now try to figure out, how many average owners have an idea how computerized traction control, or ESP works? Than how about GPS, smart key, adjustable suspension, integrated phone, limping modes and other stuff, that is so popular on MB, but mostly unheard on other brands.
General perception is, that when we don't understand something, than it has to be bad.
Other thing is the mass media brain washing.
We are all flooded with BS how excellent hybrids are, when information about 21-Century diesels is suppressed.
So when you get average Joe report comparing those two, what opinion would you expect?
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elitist

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
cmitchprint - 3/2/2006 6:07 PM
The fit and finish of a MB product is very good. Mechanically, they have a lot to be desired. One doesn't expect a page and a half of warranty repairs in the first 18 months of operation and continued problems throughout ownership. I only hope MB will listen to the consumer and fix these reliability problems.
Agreed, the fit and finish of MB's are great, and so are the design and handling. As for the warranty issues (many of which seem to be electronic rather than mechanical), MB management is on record in the year 2000 as saying that their newly-poor ratings constituted "a wake-up call". So by now, six years later, it's fair to conclude that it's deliberate policy.

They've discovered that MBs sell well despite their numerous faults, thanks to the sterling reputation developed over decades by previous managers who took the inherent quality of their product to be the highest good.

Back in the early 90s, and before, MB was at or near the top of both ratings (CR & JD Power) so often maligned in these forums. Even I can remember when the E-Class was CR "Recommended". The CR editors rhapsodized about the very qualities they have been accused in this thread of ignoring. The difference was, the car didn't break down all the time.

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Kajtek1 - 3/2/2006 9:42 PM

I think Consumer Reports is doing good job.
I agree - the only thing I would like if they did better is more of a detailed breakout of the type of problems.

I would rather replace two power window motors (2 problems) than one tranny (1 problem)

post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

so do they really do that?

i mean, id assume they would want to clairify things like that before adding the statistics to those of the real problems.

like misfit says... is a switch or light bulb ranked as a problem? do these rank as high as catastrophic engine failures?

i think "most reliable" has been confused with "most appliancelike" to be honest.

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

iNeon - they do try to break it out a bit into "body" "electrical" etc -

But I would still like more detail - even in category "electrical" - replacing the entire wiring harness is a little more of an issue than say the power window switch
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2008 CLK63 Black Series, 2008 Cayenne GTS

Does anyone actually care what Consumer Reports says about a car? There are a ton of publications that solely concentrate on vehicles. Why would you bother taking advice from a magazine that also reviews sewing machines?
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)

Quote:
chiphomme - 3/3/2006 12:44 PM

Why would you bother taking advice from a magazine that also reviews sewing machines?
Because they are the only one having no incentive in promoting any brand, or design?
CR is having very limited testing done on the cars, but the reports are based on members. Listen what average American has to say, or either take it, or try to educate them.
Education is not strong part in US lately. While smart keys and implanted chips are becoming every day items in Europe, they are still considered science-fiction in US.
But the times will come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in