Anyone want to help me w/ a small investment? - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Anyone want to help me w/ a small investment?

I have an ex-brother in law. Bought a thriving established auto repair business, ran it into BK. He is an excellent mechanic but had shit for brains when it came to dealing with employees.

He was just like you, couldn't keep a job because he couldn't put up with the crap from his supervisors. Just knew he could do it better.

Prior work ethic/interaction with staff = won't keep employees long enough to get any work done.

You'll loose the business in 6-12 months max.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I have an ex-brother in law. Bought a thriving established auto repair business, ran it into BK. He is an excellent mechanic but had shit for brains when it came to dealing with employees.

He was just like you, couldn't keep a job because he couldn't put up with the crap from his supervisors. Just knew he could do it better.

Prior work ethic/interaction with staff = won't keep employees long enough to get any work done.

post #73 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Yup, like a guy who can't make it through basic training, yet seems convinced he'd make an admirable colonel.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #74 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Sorry about the double posting, my server just went crazy.
post #75 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '92 E300 TD '96 Peugeot 106D 12 Motorbikes

If you're a competent mechanic, familiar with MB and other vehicles especially Diesels, you should be fit to earn good cash as it seems that people will pay big money not to dirty their hands.

Over time, it is likely you could find a suitable vehicle to use for towing, by which I assume you mean as a Breakdown vehicle, or possibly even something you could convert.

An aquaintance of mine recently put together an "ambulance" for about 3000 dollars plus the initial spend of 2000 dollars, bringing the total to about 5000 dollars (about £3000 in real money).

This was done working in tandem with his core business which he started in a tiny lock-up garage without a vehicle lift or even a toilet, three years ago with about £300 or $500 in his pocket.

Most of the work on the project was done during slack periods (he fixes cars), the most recent period being post Christmas.

He is not a time-served mechanic, but he has good "people skills" and an eye for an opportunity.

He is now in a position to accept work which pays £100 - £140 for 1.5 - 2 hours work away from his workshop. Last week, he got 3 jobs lifting cars off local roads (no more than 10 miles round trip), and another where he travelled 40 miles to pick up a broken down van.

Apart from the income from the van repair and repairs from 2 of the cars, he lifted over £500, maybe $900, cash, just for the time and use of the "ambulance".

And he expects things to pick up.

He employs people, pays taxes, and provides a service to those who cannot afford dealer prices for labour and parts (he uses pattern parts almost exclusively).

All the best of luck with your venture.

A.
post #76 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

"Over time, it is likely you could find a suitable vehicle to use for towing, by which I assume you mean as a Breakdown vehicle, or possibly even something you could convert."

Exactly. A very smart move, gives you a lot of flexibility.

I bought an 814 (Blue Cross)last year, to keep my less than desired active son in activity. The less than desired is a subjective view. Even though it has cost me more than it has earned, I still think it was a wise investment. Put on a 2.5 ton Warn winch aft. New tyres. And it can be used to haul cars (which I don't), machines, a lot of stuff. It came with a 4.5 meter container, which can be placed out, and picked up later. Extra containers are actually quite cheap. Especially used ones.

A flat bed container with some equipment on it could make it a fortified rollback with a powerful underwinch. Well, it wouldn't be the most wonderful recovery truck in the world, but it might be a great start. With a few containers, you could serve the community with recycling, and other waste related services. The good thing about that, would be that the garbage won't complain if you are a little bit delayed picking it up. If you make your agreements or contracts with this in mind, you'll find the slack you need to be able to maintain a defined towing service.

Spread out as much as you can in the beginning, and eventually narrow the focus on the stuff that actually brings in the revenue.

In our case, the truck isn't used daily anymore. That lasted two months. We still use it occasionally, and it's a real handy wagon. We are going to get a Sprinter now, because that's more my sons cup of tea, it seems.

Remember, this is just an idea. My glove might not fit your hand.

Expect things to pick up.

Employ people, pay taxes, and provide service.

PS. Well, it seems the pictures won't go through.

post #77 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ixmlvll

"And he expects things to pick up".

He should be hoping and praying for things to break down.
[8D]
post #78 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1984 280SEL AMG
Send a message via MSN to TheRazz Send a message via Yahoo to TheRazz
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
GermanStar - 2/27/2006 12:44 PM

Yup, like a guy who can't make it through basic training, yet seems convinced he'd make an admirable colonel.

I made it through basic, AND AIT.. did 6 years 10 months in the Army National Guard...

Quote:
felkhound - Posted 2/27/2006 12:36 PM

have an ex-brother in law. Bought a thriving established auto repair business, ran it into BK. He is an excellent mechanic but had shit for brains when it came to dealing with employees.

I have a busness mind set... Just no ASSetts... I made a company run for 2 years as the "owner", It was the owners NEW wife that ran the place into the dirt shortly AFTER I left...

Anyway, I'm going back into the Army, a policy change as made it posable... So frag a busness... I'll just let the US TAXPAIER put money in me pocket... [:D][:D]

Rich

1984 280SEL AMG
1984 F250 Diesel
1992 F.O.R.D. Explorer
1997 F.O.R.D. Expadition
1972 F250 (57K origanal)
1980 Suzuki GS750ET
Razz

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own (Mythbusters)
post #79 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
TheRazz - 3/3/2006 8:19 PM

Anyway, I'm going back into the Army, a policy change as made it posable... So frag a busness... I'll just let the US TAXPAIER put money in me pocket... [:D][:D]

Rich
Say hello to Sgt. Hulka, will you?

post #80 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
TheRazz - 3/3/2006 7:19 PM

Quote:
GermanStar - 2/27/2006 12:44 PM

I made it through basic, AND AIT.. did 6 years 10 months in the Army National Guard...
Admirable. I can't help but wonder how or why you lost the life skills required to make it through 6+ years in the armed service. You know -- the lose the ego stuff, the no "I" in "team" stuff, the respecting your superiors and doing your job to the best of your ability without complaint stuff. Apply those skills to your life and you should achieve at least some level of success, right? Note that I've only come to this conclusion as a result of information that you've provided about yourself.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in