BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Bush "in dark" on ports deal

Quote:
Shane - 2/25/2006 4:48 PM

Oh just follow the money for goodness sake...
You report then we'll decide.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:54 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/25/2006 5:28 PM

Quote:

B
You've already decided.
post #23 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
430 - 2/25/2006 4:23 PM

Quote:
Shabah - 2/25/2006 11:34 AM

Excellent points there MS Fowler; here is the issue at hand, the US is engaging in a free trade agreement with the UAE as we speak yet this is a real test of implementation. It ‘s failing because it went out off control from the president’s side who was trying to show the Arabs that he is actually fair towards them but miscalculated the effect of the pumped hatred towards them that he had engineered to justify his invasion. I say it again, he intentionally with the help of his party dehumanized the Arabs to get the red states to go along with him because it was a “black and white� issue that can go across a lot easier than if he had tried to explain to them that there is such a thing as bad and good people over there. This approach to political leverage is now biting his ass. He has no credibility left on the Arab side and he is loosing ground as we speak in the heartland that sees this port deal as an invasion by them Ay-rabs.
I was watching TV and saw the union workers picketing next to a port with signs promoting that the UAE should butt out. Next they interviewed some of them and I sat there trying to understand their motives as to why this deal should no go through. I hear this guy say that this “should have been vetted� by congress before it reached this level and eventual approval. Ok, why is there no one pointing out to him that prior to this deal, the port was managed by another foreign company that did no such leg work? The bottom line, that company was British and this present deal has got some filthy Arabs running the show. Oh I understand why the union is not happy now…
How about the employees? On the same show, they said that 99% of the employees were US citizens. Was that going to change? Did the deal call for head replacements with turban wearing, camel jockeying dudes? As far as I understand this was a purely financial deal, hell even management is not even Arab. Has anyone of you worked in UAE to see that most large companies over there are actually run by Western expatriates?
They are for the most part the operational heart of these companies. Hell even my outfit is mostly comprised of Americans. I can’t take a shit without asking my sexy accountant if it’s ok (I am working on her to be my fourth wife so I can stop paying her sky high salary).
Anyway, I personally like I said hope that this deal DOES NOT GO THROUGH to permanently show for a long time the sown hatred towards Arabs and it’s effects. This should become a case study for future business people from my region on what not to invest in if they want to have a shred of dignity.

Shabah.
First of all the only thing you have to know about unions is that they are for anything that think will help make the union bigger, get them more money, better benefits, less work, etc. and damn the consequences to the company, country, etc.

Shabah you do know that there was more than one issue in the election than just 'them big bad arabs' right? Isn't it possible that people voted for or against Bush for reasons other than their 'fear' of the Arabs? Among the issues that drove the voters I know the war on terror and the 'fear of arabs' was not very high on the list. There were plenty of other issues of higher concern.
What was of higher concern than the Iraq war? Health benefits or social security? None of the latter were addressed, covered and elaborated on more intensely prior and during the presidential elections. If Iraq was not such a drain, where does the administration stand on those same two issues now after a year has elapsed from the elections?
Nothing gets the blood boiling better than hatred 430. You should know. Anytime there is an occasion to bash Arabs right here on this forum the usual suspects are counted in and in a tuned agreement they spew poison like there is no tomorrow. I don’t think I am blind to this, it’s there I can read…
This is not something people are usually born with. It’s taught, nurtured and encouraged. Need I say that Jews don’t suffer of the same to make everyone happy and feeling that I should balance this argument? Sure, but my point of the thread is that hating the Arabs is a much more acceptable and fashionable thing to do now days. Either directly or through other means by invoking the well established fears that Arabs are terrorists. The bottom line this port deal is just bringing it up for all to see. If you don’t see it that way, then tell me how you see it instead of justifying to me what a union stands for? I know what they are and it does not surprise me that they are picketing for this cause trying to show a “solidarity� kind of shit so people that are ignorant enough will think that this is part of being a patriot. I mean shit even mayors in those towns are the ones behind a lot of that political spin to bolster their positions with the hate crowd that would not have voted for them because they are “too liberal�. Hate can help get some brownie points I guess. It’s simple, the liberals and democrats that are about to go through elections next fall are the ones playing this card trying to get some conservative votes by playing the tune that has already been engrained in those voters. What a better way to show their concerns for security by playing on the deep seeded hatred towards those pesky Ay-rabs… Of course in a politically correct way, like this senator said: "This issue is of grave importance to our state and nation, the takeover of the operations of the port ... by a company owned by a foreign government," Mikulski said. "We need to stand strong to protect ourselves."
Of course, I would agree if that applied to everyone…
Attached Images

post #24 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think the President has tried to make it clear that not ALL arabs, indeed, not all Muslims were the target of "The War on Terror". I know I've heard that disclaimer on many occasions.
How is it that he gets credited for ginning up hatred against the entire Arab world?
I have heard him make the " Islam is a religion of peace" statement more times than i can count.
( I'm not debating; just wondering)

ONTH, I have heard of lot of talk-show demagoges talk about Islam being a religion of hatred. ( Curiously, not Mr. Limbaugh.)
post #25 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Shane - 2/25/2006 6:54 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 2/25/2006 5:28 PM

Quote:

B
You've already decided.
And you have not?
post #26 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My main concern is that the UAE is postured as a "Strategic Partner" in the Arab world and one with which we should be doing business. The UAE is shown as a country where the US can work with Arabs to foster growth.

That very same argument was used to promote IRAN during most of the 1970s and was used to promote IRAQ in the 1980s, in Iraqs case, by many of the same people. My concern is that in the volatility of the Middle East, the UAE is only a coup away from being in the same situation as Iran or Iraq, or even Pakistan or Afghanistan. We are already seeing the Saudis being targeted for a coup, it has been threatened for the past five years.

While National ownership of the ports would be preferred, there are tiers of foreign investment that can be considered without being labeled racist.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #27 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
MS Fowler - 2/25/2006 7:30 PM

I think the President has tried to make it clear that not ALL arabs, indeed, not all Muslims were the target of "The War on Terror". I know I've heard that disclaimer on many occasions.
How is it that he gets credited for ginning up hatred against the entire Arab world?
I have heard him make the " Islam is a religion of peace" statement more times than i can count.

ONTH, I have heard of lot of talk-show demagoges talk about Islam being a religion of hatred. ( Curiously, not Mr. Limbaugh.)
Recall what Bush did right after 9/11 in this regard? Went to at least one mosque and made a public display of removing his shoes and speaking with the Imam. That is what this or any other president should do.

In contrast to St Franklin of Roosevelt, who locked-up anybody who looked funny.

Bot
post #28 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:

Actions speak louder than words.

All this "elevated" terror threat crap, lies about Iraqi links to 9-11, lies about Iraqi WMD being an immenent threat to the United States, reports of atrocities by terrorists in Iraq to justify ignoring the first round of lies and continuing to kill Iraqis and be killed by Iraqis, the everlasting war on terror and how we need to fight them over there to keep them from coming over here, the Wild West justice analogies like "you're either with us or against us" and "bring 'em on" has all resulted in someone nearly everyone knows, being killed or maimed in Iraq. A bit like Vietnam, when that war became very unpopular.

The interspersed good words about Arabs in the President's messages just don't have the same effect as a dead son, father or brother, killed fighting them over there to keep them from coming over here. And, it is reported, our kids are dying over there, because, like in Vietnam, no one can't tell the good guys from the bad guys. Suicide bombers, improvised explosive devices planted on roadways, people taking shots and then disappearing back into the local populace.

Yeah, not all Arabs are terrorists, sounds reasonable. But how do you tell which ones are? A dead father, son, brother, sister, daughter or mother makes that an intellectual exercise for people with another agenda. The President's actions speak louder than words, especially words of wisdom from this President. Jim
post #29 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
JimSmith - 2/25/2006 8:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah, not all Arabs are terrorists, sounds reasonable. But how do you tell which ones are? A dead father, son, brother, sister, daughter or mother makes that an intellectual exercise for people with another agenda. The President's actions speak louder than words, especially words of wisdom from this President. Jim
Maybe we should follow the lead of the virtuous St Franklin of Roosevelt's method: Jail them all if they look wrong.

Bot
post #30 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/25/2006 8:45 PM
Maybe we should follow the lead of the virtuous St Franklin of Roosevelt's method: Jail them all if they look wrong.
Bot
Actions speak louder than words. We have been coerced to give up basic freedoms to assure our security. Why? Because the Arab Muslim Terrorists are coming. And we need to fight them over there to keep them from coming over here.....and, and ...

Way too much hyperbole to justify the weak case for attacking Iraq to believe a few gestures or statements of rationality have been heard by anyone but the Arab community looking for such gestures. The ugly, racist view of Arabs the American populace has adopted or formulated in the last few years is a direct response to the drumbeat from the White House. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in