jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
type 1a supernovas

I've been reading recently about type 1a supernovas (the mass extinction events on earth could be caused by such a mechanism). Your common or garden supernova happens when a star a few times larger than our sun uses up its hydrogen and goes pop, leaving a black hole remnant. This is dangerous for inhabited worlds within say 10-20 light years, because the blast of radiation is enough to destroy life on the side of the planet facing the explosion. There is one every few hundred years in our galaxy.

The type 1a makes this look puny. These form when a binary star (two stars closely in orbit) grows old, and one star expands then shrinks to form a white dwarf (no explosion if not a large sun). When the other star also runs out of fuel, the expansion phase allows the other white dwarf to suck in new fuel. When it has captured exactly 1.4 times the mass of our sun, it explodes, but this time it goes off like a hydrogen bomb the size of the earth and the mass of the sun. There is enough energy released to sterilise inhabited worlds for a few thousand light years around, and the explosion can be seen halfway across the universe. Pretty amazing, and useful too, because they always emit the same amount of light and so can be used to gauge distances by their apparent magnitudes. One thing this has been used for is to discover that the expansion of the universe is speeding up, not slowing down as previously had been thought.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20051217/fob6.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: type 1a supernovas

And our puny little minds will never begin to understand the functioning characteristics of the universe simply because the existence of our insignificant life has been too abreviated to collect adequate data to prove any of these theories science has tossed at us.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:44 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mind blowing stuff,isn't it? I'm particularly interested in SETI, and the events you have described may well go a long way to explain the 'Fermi Paradox'

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
~BANNED~

^^^^^^^^

Quote:
cmitchprint - 2/22/2006 12:41 AM

And our puny little minds will never begin to understand the functioning characteristics of the universe simply because the existence of our insignificant life has been too abreviated to collect adequate data to prove any of these theories science has tossed at us.
Ha,'same meat,different gravy'[:)]
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
deathrattle - 2/22/2006 12:44 AM

Mind blowing stuff,isn't it? I'm particularly interested in SETI, and the events you have described may well go a long way to explain the 'Fermi Paradox'

I run out of superlatives for this stuff. Utterly mindboggling. I'm reading through wikipedia's page on Fermi's Paradox - seems quite comprehensive.

I read a pretty good science fiction book last year where the puzzling lack of life was the main theme. It had an interesting explanation (I'll not spoil it in case anyone wants to read it): 'Revelation Space' by Alastair Reynolds (a professional physicist, so the science writing is first rate).

http://tinyurl.com/quajb

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

My favorite space event that I have seen in my lifetime was that series of comet pieces striking Jupiter. The scale was understandable.

the scale of supernovae and quasars and stuff is just too damn big. Like jjl said, no superlatives available. Well, unless you have lysergic acid or something related. Speaking of which (getting really far off topic) did you see the zany boys and girl on the US Supreme Court has allowed that a certain hallucinogenic herb is not a threat to civil liberty when ingested as part of a religious ceremony. I believe this is the first time an exception has been granted religious use of hallucinogens by non-indigenous people.

Maybe I'll see weed legalized before glaucoma overwhelms me.

B
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
jjl - 2/22/2006 1:04 AM

Quote:
deathrattle - 2/22/2006 12:44 AM

I run out of superlatives for this stuff. Utterly mindboggling. I'm reading through wikipedia's page on Fermi's Paradox - seems quite comprehensive.

I read a pretty good science fiction book last year where the puzzling lack of life was the main theme. It had an interesting explanation (I'll not spoil it in case anyone wants to read it): 'Revelation Space' by Alastair Reynolds (a professional physicist, so the science writing is first rate).

http://tinyurl.com/quajb
Blimey!-I just read the reviews and plot summaries from your posted link-and I thought 'Star Wars' was complicated.[8)][8D]

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage

Quote:
jjl - 2/21/2006 3:36 PM

The type 1a makes this look puny. These form when a binary star (two stars closely in orbit) grows old, and one star expands then shrinks to form a white dwarf (no explosion if not a large sun).

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20051217/fob6.asp

Stars known as white dwarfs may accrete matter from an orbiting companion and explode as the result of a nuclear reaction.More massive stars,their cores fused into iron,collapse and instantaneously explode,sometimes leaving a small,dense neutron star.The explosions release such elements as carbon,oxygen and iron (incorporated into new stars) and leave supernova remnants.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/22/2006 1:13 AM

My favorite space event that I have seen in my lifetime was that series of comet pieces striking Jupiter. The scale was understandable.

the scale of supernovae and quasars and stuff is just too damn big. Like jjl said, no superlatives available. Well, unless you have lysergic acid or something related. Speaking of which (getting really far off topic) did you see the zany boys and girl on the US Supreme Court has allowed that a certain hallucinogenic herb is not a threat to civil liberty when ingested as part of a religious ceremony. I believe this is the first time an exception has been granted religious use of hallucinogens by non-indigenous people.

Maybe I'll see weed legalized before glaucoma overwhelms me.

B
Yeah, that was spectacular. Didn't bother Jupiter much, though.

Interesting that there has been a relaxation re grass (I take it it was cannabis?), but if the religion concerned is them pesky Baptists you can count me out, they're nothing but trouble after a few smokes.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:46 PM
~BANNED~

^^^^^

Isn't God wonderful?I feel like singing a hymn.[:0][:D]
I mean he's busy with cosmic events as described above but he/she/it still has time to listen to a bunch of drivel from a sub-species of apes.
[:o)]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in