LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: The selling out of America

The site must be clogged again, or the thread size is causing a problem. I have learned to ignore the message that the page is not available when posting, but the result is the thread does not update. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 10:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
JimSmith - 2/22/2006 12:09 PM

Quote:
MS Fowler - 2/22/2006 6:07 AM

Well my world is certainly turned upside-down. The old adversaries are untied in this thread.
I have been looking for reasoned, cogent arguments against this selling of port management, but I am finding very little of substance.
Most of the opposition is emotional ranting.
Reason seems to indicate that this might be a good thing. I must admit, my first emotional reaction to the news was negative, but after thinking about it for a while, I see little reason to oppose it.
Those arguing for it seem calm, and thoughtfu; those opposed are simply employing emotion and subtle raciism.

Since many knee-jerk dems and repubs are so opposed to this, I conclude that the opposition is both stupid and evil; hence the takeover must be a good idea.
I am waiting to see some cogent arguments against.....
There remains to be a cogent discussion of the facts surrounding the solicitation and selection. Until then, any conclusion or argument for or against is an opinion based on emotions.

It is apparent that just because Bush supports this that you feel the case "for" the selection has been made. I don't take that for granted. But I am looking for some rationale to be revealed. Much less serious procurement projects require a solicitation process that includes a "source selection plan" that qualifies the bidders before they are solicited directly, then a bid evaluation plan that has to be finalized and formally approved by the Government's procurement agency before the bids are solicited, and then the inevitable sequence of questions and answers and so on and so forth, all of which should be available through the Freedom of Information Act.

Let the game play out. I will make an opinion when the facts come out about the specifics of the deal, whether the selection, bidding and award was made with the overall best interests of the United States in mind. But I think the move, overall, was unwise. More beneath the surface ugliness about Americans is going to come out, ugliness that has been grown by the fear politics of the last nearly five years. But planning ahead is not a strength of the Bush Administration. Jim
Jim, when all is said and done do you think that such findings of deep seated ugliness will have traction within the media, or the consciousness of America? Do you think someone will have the courage to say it as it is????
post #103 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Shabah,

It is perhaps uniquely American to find our actions that don't pass the rationality test a blight on our record at some point in time. At some time this will attain the same disdain as slavery, the Japanese internment camps, and our slaughter of the Native Americans and so on. It will not happen overnight, but the ugliness will not be able to be contained easily. Once out, it is there to be judged the next morning, or by the next generation. But it will be judged on how it fits with our national image, inside Americans, eventually. Jim
post #104 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
elau - 2/20/2006 8:53 PM

Wow! I am surprised no one brought up the selling of America by the Bush Administrations. I am so seething mad after I heard the news. Is this country really getting so low that we lost all of self esteem? Maybe Michael Moore had some degree of truth in this movie that Bush sleeps with the Arabs, huh? Letting the UAE to run our ports, in my eyes, is no different than handing our National security to the enemies on a silver platter. And HSA is going to over look the security of the ports? What a focking joke.

The Gang of Four needs to be imprisoned, better yet, stand in front of the firing squad for high treason.

So, what do you focking Bush lovers have to say about this? He blatantly sells out this country right under your nose. Are you happy now? Personally I would love to see another 9/11 so I can say “I told you so�!! Again.

How do you think this Administration is going look at the families of our fallen soldiers in the eyes? Ooops, I forgot, they don’t really give a rat’s arse of the American people. How forgetful of me.

You focking lemmings, hope you happy now. Soon we will be flying the UAE flag.
I have repeatedly pointed out that George Bush is the elected representative of the MultiNationalist global corporations. He and his ultra-rich pals have no allegiance to the US, their allegiance is to Global Capital. Global Capital, our new master, is essentially an Saudi Arabian operation, and it hijacked the War in Iraq, and shoved a bunch of bullshit up our collective asses about the reasons for this war. Bush supporters, a bunch of damn fools and obvious suckers, jeered at Michael Moore, who put EXACTLY what was going on in his movie F-911, and now look- we have demonstrated for us EXACTLY what Moore was talking about. When are these sheep going to wake up? Your country has been hijacked, you fucking idiots - your military, your economy, your jobs, are all working for them, stealing oil profits, turning the American middle class into paupers while they hand out our jobs to fucking Mexicans and move our industry to China, all so they can maximize profits. They could give a shit about your safety. If they did, Osama would be in the can - instead he's running your ports of entry.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #105 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD

Quote:
JimSmith - 2/22/2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Well my world is certainly turned upside-down. The old adversaries are untied in this thread.
I have been looking for reasoned, cogent arguments against this selling of port management, but I am finding very little of substance.
Most of the opposition is emotional ranting.
Reason seems to indicate that this might be a good thing. I must admit, my first emotional reaction to the news was negative, but after thinking about it for a while, I see little reason to oppose it.
Those arguing for it seem calm, and thoughtfu; those opposed are simply employing emotion and subtle raciism.
Jim,
Since many knee-jerk dems and repubs are so opposed to this, I conclude that the opposition is both stupid and evil; hence the takeover must be a good idea.
I am waiting to see some cogent arguments against.....
There remains to be a cogent discussion of the facts surrounding the solicitation and selection. Until then, any conclusion or argument for or against is an opinion based on emotions.

It is apparent that just because Bush supports this that you feel the case "for" the selection has been made. I don't take that for granted. But I am looking for some rationale to be revealed. Much less serious procurement projects require a solicitation process that includes a "source selection plan" that qualifies the bidders before they are solicited directly, then a bid evaluation plan that has to be finalized and formally approved by the Government's procurement agency before the bids are solicited, and then the inevitable sequence of questions and answers and so on and so forth, all of which should be available through the Freedom of Information Act.

Let the game play out. I will make an opinion when the facts come out about the specifics of the deal, whether the selection, bidding and award was made with the overall best interests of the United States in mind. But I think the move, overall, was unwise. More beneath the surface ugliness about Americans is going to come out, ugliness that has been grown by the fear politics of the last nearly five years. But planning ahead is not a strength of the Bush Administration. Jim
Jim,

I havent said i approve. I was simply stating some points that many, in their hysteria, have not noticed.

It may prove to be a good idea; it might be a bad idea. Until we begin to examine facts, we will never know.
Much of the opposition seems to be simple arab-phobia. To borrow a line that the Srgt in the movie "Gettysburg" says during a contemplative discussion with Chamberlain, "Anyone who judges by the group is an idiot" or something similar.
One line of "reasoning" I have heard is that one of the 9-11 terrotists was from the UAE. herefore we can't trrust anyone from the UAE.
Replace the country "UAE" with "Jew", or "black" and you see how racist it sounds.
I am still waiting to be convinced--and not by half truths and lies by Michael Moore!
post #106 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Here is the website for that UAE company:
http://www.dpiterminals.com/

This link gives a history and a list of ports under their control:
http://www.dpiterminals.com/subpages.asp?PSID=1&PageID=21

post #107 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Shabah - 2/22/2006 10:40 PM

Don't confuse people with facts. Everybody knows that the Arabs want to steal US ports.

Bot
post #108 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Botnst - 2/23/2006 2:20 PM

Quote:

Don't confuse people with facts. Everybody knows that the Arabs want to steal US ports.

Bot
The Arabs are coming the Arabs are coming...

post #109 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:30 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:

Oh, you said it bro [8D]
post #110 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Shabah - 2/23/2006 2:39 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 2/23/2006 2:20 PM

Quote:

Bot
The Arabs are coming the Arabs are coming...
Shabah, here's some more evidence concerning the scary meanies in the UAE.

The United Arab Emirates sent its $100 million Katrina donation on Sept. 21 using an electronic transfer to an account at the State Department, the White House said. Two-thirds of the money was given to the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help coordinate aid to 100,000 families. The rest was sent to the Education Department to help rebuild schools and universities near New Orleans that were damaged by the storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in