post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is it time to invade Nigeria?

Your intersts are at risk, now what are you gonna do?

Quote:
BBC NEWS
Nigeria oil 'total war' warning
A Nigerian militant commander in the oil-rich southern Niger Delta has told the BBC his group is declaring "total war" on all foreign oil interests.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta has given oil companies and their employees until midnight on Friday night to leave the region.

It recently blew up two oil pipelines, held four foreign oil workers hostage and sabotaged two major oilfields.

The group wants greater control of the oil wealth produced on their land.

Nigeria is Africa's leading oil exporter and the fifth-biggest source of US oil imports, but despite its oil wealth, many Nigerians live in abject poverty.

Aims

It is the first time the military leader of the Mend movement, Major-General Godswill Tamuno, has spoken publicly of his group's aims.

He refused to be interviewed on tape or for his location to be disclosed.

He told the BBC's Abdullahi Kaura Abubakar that they had launched their campaign, called "dark February", to ensure that all foreign oil interests left.

He said that they had had enough of the exploitation of their resources and wanted to take total control of the area to get their fair share of the wealth.

Our correspondent says the movement brings together a variety of local groups that had been operating in the Niger Delta before.

Their diversity means the group enjoys considerable local support and it is difficult to pinpoint exactly who is a member, he says.

Mend's leaders tend to like to be faceless, our reporter says, and they usually send statements to the media via email.

Well armed

The Niger delta has been the scene of a low-level war in recent months and the government has increased its military presence in the region.

On Wednesday, a Nigerian government helicopter gunship opened fire on eight barges allegedly used by smugglers to transport stolen crude oil.

The smugglers are believed to be well armed with weapons from eastern Europe brought in to pay for the illicit oil.

Mend released a statement immediately after the raid saying the helicopter had fired rockets and machine-guns at targets on land and accused the military of targeting civilians.

It warned that its fighters were capable of shooting down military helicopters and accused Shell of helping out the security forces by allowing them use of an airstrip it operates.

The military has denied it used the facility.

According to AFP news agency, Shell has not confirmed or denied that its airstrip was the base for the attack.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/africa/4723076.stm

Published: 2006/02/17 13:10:43 GMT

© BBC MMVI
Now all we have to do to make sure that an invasion will happen is to spin it since this is mostly a bunch of Muslims doing this. How dare they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Is it time to invade Nigeria?

I've often wondered if every single person in Nigeria is a criminal or is it just that all Nigerians with computers are criminals?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
GermanStar - 2/17/2006 10:11 AM

I've often wondered if every single person in Nigeria is a criminal or is it just that all Nigerians with computers are criminals?
LOL, I guess the daughter of General Hassan Mkembe is running out off options since Western Union has scaled back operations near her Internet caffee[;)]
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

It's not just the standard email scams. They have a whole other set of scams aimed at retailers such as myself. Every time I hear "Nigeria", my sleazematron goes off. [:D]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Same here I had a dude make an order for sattelite equipment while trying to pay me above invoice. You know what that means...
I had another ask me to come over and see if we can a joint venture in cellular netwroks like towers and such then he wanted me to front the funds while he signed the contracts with his government...
It's too bad because I know some Nigerian nationals and they are good people, these criminals give them a bad name and it's hard for anyone to trust them even if they are ligit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in