Mr. Amr Khaled’s Message to the World regarding the Danish Cartoons - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Mr. Amr Khaled’s Message to the World regarding the Danish Cartoons

Quote:
Marsden - 2/14/2006 4:31 PM

Taken out of context, as usual. Khalid says "The West respects monarchies, Semitism, all races, and different ethnicities, and its respect to the Prophet (SAWS) and to sacred Muslim values should be no less" and he's right on the money. If you're going to respect some religions you need to respect them all.

Since, in the West, the "Holocaust" is essentially the most sacred religion of all, such that we throw people in jail for asking questions about it, Khalid is quite justified in wondering about the lack of equivalence.
Please in the west nothing is truly sacred. You can not name one event, person, country, etc. that has not been made fun of. Small groups my haev sacred cows but in general everything is fair game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 2/18/2006 9:34 AM

Thanks for quoting the whole article. It saved me from having to track it down.
Clown... you can click on a single link ya know [}:)]

Quote:
I like the analogy of the Muhammed cartoon and Christ with a Dynamite Crwon of Thorns. Good imagery. And I agree that most Christians, whether they are abortionists or not, would have been offended by it.

How many Christians would be rioting and killing over such a picture? Millions? I doubt any woudl riot. You might get a few thousand, world-wide who would write emotional letters to editors and boycott Disney.
Bot
The analogy is very, very weak. Christians don't have a sacred prohibition against depiction of Christ; Christians aren't being run over roughshod by Muslims armies in their own homelands, etc etc.

However the guy does make some excellent points. That's just not one of them. How very easy it is to choose to feel superior, without understanding.

"The commission recognized the difference between what triggers an uproar (how police handle a traffic stop in Watts) and what fuels it (discrimination, poverty, etc.). This recognition has been sparse amid the cartoon uproar, as Americans fixate on the question of how a single drawing could inflame millions."
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
430 - 2/18/2006 11:06 AM

Quote:
Marsden - 2/14/2006 4:31 PM

Taken out of context, as usual. Khalid says "The West respects monarchies, Semitism, all races, and different ethnicities, and its respect to the Prophet (SAWS) and to sacred Muslim values should be no less" and he's right on the money. If you're going to respect some religions you need to respect them all.

Since, in the West, the "Holocaust" is essentially the most sacred religion of all, such that we throw people in jail for asking questions about it, Khalid is quite justified in wondering about the lack of equivalence.
Please in the west nothing is truly sacred. You can not name one event, person, country, etc. that has not been made fun of. Small groups my haev sacred cows but in general everything is fair game.
430, you would do well to study Fukuyama's essay. We in the US are very careful about things such as racial and religious sensitivities. Okay, maybe you less so than most. But you'd probably agree with me that certain groups enjoy ridiculous levels of 'protection' in public discourse.
post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Marsden - 2/18/2006 7:41 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 2/18/2006 9:34 AM

Thanks for quoting the whole article. It saved me from having to track it down.
Clown... you can click on a single link ya know [}:)]

Quote:
I like the analogy of the Muhammed cartoon and Christ with a Dynamite Crwon of Thorns. Good imagery. And I agree that most Christians, whether they are abortionists or not, would have been offended by it.

How many Christians would be rioting and killing over such a picture? Millions? I doubt any woudl riot. You might get a few thousand, world-wide who would write emotional letters to editors and boycott Disney.
Bot
The analogy is very, very weak. Christians don't have a sacred prohibition against depiction of Christ; ......
Wouldn't we call that, "the point"?

600 years ago anything but a worshipful depiction of Jesus would have brought death. Now his image gets jammed into pee-pee and Christians don't riot, they write letters.

Those Muslims are freaking nuts. They murder each other and anybody else over some fairy tale crap and western apologists get all weepy and clamor over themselves in abject apology. They can't wait to cede their freedom to some wack-job getting messages from Allah.

Fuckem. Both the wackjob and the apologist. They go together like a masochist and a sadist.

B
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 2/18/2006 9:13 PM

Those Muslims are freaking nuts. They murder each other and anybody else over some fairy tale crap
Botnst reverts to "My tribe is better than your tribe" again... [:(]
post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Marsden - 2/18/2006 9:42 PM

Quote:

Those Muslims are freaking nuts. They murder each other and anybody else over some fairy tale crap
Marsden resorts to deluding himself as any whiney apologist will as he gladly cedes freedom to tribalists.
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:19 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

From a protest in NYC yesterday: defenders of the constitution. Have to admire the chutzpah of doing this in New York, of all places. How far away is the nearest airport? Anyone need a cab?

post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Marsden - 2/18/2006 7:44 PM

430, you would do well to study Fukuyama's essay. We in the US are very careful about things such as racial and religious sensitivities. Okay, maybe you less so than most. But you'd probably agree with me that certain groups enjoy ridiculous levels of 'protection' in public discourse.
Oops 430, I meant Robert Wright's essay.
Got my essays mixed up (But Francis Fukuyama has a great one out too, from his new book) [;)]
post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:08 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 2/18/2006 9:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Marsden resorts to deluding himself as any whiney apologist will as he gladly cedes freedom to tribalists.
Blah blah blah. You're always quick to condemn and call for more violence, but your actual understanding is nil. Hence, you are exactly like that which you condemn.

See the photos jjl just posted--they represent your p.o.v. perfectly. Just switch the names.
post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 2/18/2006 9:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

While I seldom agree with Mr. Botnst, on this I believe he is utterly correct. The Muslims are in general, trapped in Medievalism. They have a deep head case of "magical thinking", much like our own home-grown relgious nut cases. Both of them are just as dangerous, because their enemey is modernity itself. They both loath the world science and knowledge have brought forth, and they are both intensely illogical people. To riot over a cartoon for crissakes! What a bunch of ignorant fucking morons.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in