Will there be a regime change in 2008? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2002 C230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Will there be a regime change in 2008?

Quote:
BNZ - 2/9/2006 9:27 PM

How about "The Senator of Chappaquiddick whose father was withdrawn from England for supporting Adolf Hitler and made his money breaking the law bootlegging as did Al Capone"

And I offer you "Laura the Killer, Librarian"
Much better, thank you. [:D]

Though I prefer, "Laura, Death on Wheels".

2002 Ccoupe, not as good as others, apparently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD

One of the MAJOR peoblems with the unemployment figures is that they do not count the self employed. Those people who do not work for someone else are one of the major growth areas in this economy. Just becasue I no longer work for XYZ corp does not mean I am unemployed.
post #33 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:15 PM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 474 Post(s)

Quote:
smurfccoupe - 2/9/2006 6:41 PM

Quote:
BNZ - 2/9/2006 9:27 PM

How about "The Senator of Chappaquiddick whose father was withdrawn from England for supporting Adolf Hitler and made his money breaking the law bootlegging as did Al Capone"

And I offer you "Laura the Killer, Librarian"
Much better, thank you. [:D]

Though I prefer, "Laura, Death on Wheels".

Excellent, .."Laura, Death on Wheels" does have a better ring to it.

post #34 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 2/9/2006 4:43 PM
Shane ( and others)
As soon as the president begins making noises like he wants to cancel the next round of elections. THAT will cross the line from an elected government of the people to a regime. Until then, its simply rhetoric.
Seems to MS Fowler that having an administration that defended their blunder in Iraq with lies and innuendo, as well as allegedly (we will find out soon enough) authorizing the leaking of classified material to reporters, unilaterally redefined without the requisite authority legislation by Congress and therefore likely broke the laws concerning spying on American citizens, and rules over the Congress with a strong arm approach toward their sizeable majority that is apparently either too spineless to stand up and be counted or is kept in the fold with threats to reveal details of their unsavory relationships with campaign financing laundering schemers is ok up until they attempt to cancel elections. Where is the indignation about the lying and sleeziness that was so easily thrown up at Bill Clinton for getting a blow job and lying about it? Where is the horror and shock at the lack of moral standards of this administration? Where is the frustration with the cover ups of incompetence at every level of running the country?

America is a great country and we will survive this regime. In spite of all the excuses and lying and stealing and covering up that is apparently endorsed here. Jim
post #35 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:33 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD

Jim,
WOW!
I think that post wins the award for the longest run-on sentence.
I'm still waiting for more than what amounts to simple political allegations. Or are you no longer a proponent of due process?
post #36 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 2/10/2006 5:33 AM

Jim,
WOW!
I'm still waiting for more than what amounts to simple political allegations. Or are you no longer a proponent of due process?
Of course, due process is called for to actually send the President and his regime to jail. But the GOP ran against the Democrats after Clinton on the premise of restoring honor to the oval office and being honest with the American people where the implication was that the man who lied about getting a knob job in the White House from someone other than his wife (or is it really just the knobber that got everyone so worked up?) had dishonored the office and reduced America's credibility throughout the world and, and, and......

In this case there are quite a few, seemingly much more serious allegations than illicit knob jobs, allegations and investigations of allegations, yet there is not even an indication that any of this is troubling. Tom Delay got "off the hook" on one charge because the law he was accused of breaking was put into effect after he was alleged to have committed the crime, which is a technicality. What is the response? A big sigh of relief, not indignation and disgust. Not same disdain that follows Ed Kennedy and his Chappaquidic event. It is only after Delay becomes tightly associated with a singing bird in the big time campaign finance/money laundering scandal that the GOP takes any action, which was so obviously a move in the interest of self preservation of the GOP and not disdain for Delay's behavior the action was actually trivial.

No, I am not advocating sending Bush and his regime straight to jail without a trial. But I am amazed at the two faced nature of your argument. Next you will be singing the praises of the ACLU when they take up the President's case if it seems his civil rights were violated in the investigations of his wrongdoing. Jim
post #37 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 2/10/2006 5:33 AM

Jim,
WOW!
there's your answer.

B
post #38 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 2/10/2006 4:33 AM

Jim,
WOW!
The run on sentence is appropriate considering the party it is describing.
post #39 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:12 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2008 CLK63 Black Series, 2008 Cayenne GTS

Quote:
That Guy - 2/9/2006 4:58 PM

Quote:
Andrew2004az - 2/8/2006 8:58 PM

Well it looks like i am going to have to get you going on unemployment, seems to me the economy is very healthy and growing just fine. If you notice democrats no longer try and bash the economy and use it against the republicans why? because they cant the economy is doing great. No more lying corporations that existed during the unregulated clinton administration, so now we have real figures instead of inflated lies. Anyways democrats wont win the white house untill they can take back congress, and with people like John kerry and my favorite Ted Kennedy the democrats have a long way to go, both of them especially Kennedy are just an embarrassment i have no idea how he gets elected.
Your ability to back up your argument that the economy is doing well is laughable at best.
-Democrats aren't using it to bash Bush (do you think the fed uses this indicator to adjust their open market operations?)
-No more unregulated lying corporations (the bubble of the 90's wasn't due to a lack of regulation, but rather a dangerous convergence of interests among the corporate players and those that were intended to oversee them. It's no coincidence Arthur Andersen was responsible for the accounting of both Enron & Worldcom)
-Real figures instead of inflated lies (do you care to share ANY of these figures to back up your point?)

I'll reference this post:
http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1242516&posts=21

To be quite honest, I'm neither bearish or bullish on the economy right now. Not only that, but I refuse to believe that the president (any president) is largely responsible for the failures or successes of the economy because of inherent inability of fiscal policy to really impact the economy without a complementary monetary policy which is controlled by the Fed.

Unemployment figures are pretty meaningless as well due to the definition of labor force. It's difficult to understand what it means since the single percentage number is actually a representation of a fraction in which both the numerator and denominator are changing in both directions at variable rates.

I would love to see what was used as the labor force population figures over the past 5 years in order to get a complete picture of what this figure really means. Is the labor force today larger or smaller than it was in 2000? Intuitively, one would say Yes, but I suspect the number of discouraged workers that removed themselves from the labor force between 2000 and 2002 makes it possible that its smaller.

The formula is actually very simple.
Number of employed people divided by the number of people in the labor force.

The trickiness comes in with how you define them. How many hours a week do you have to work in order to be considered employed? Is it 20, 30 or 40 hours a week? There is no allowance for those that are underemployed.

The labor force includes all those either employed or actively seeking employment. Which means dicouraged workers (workers who would work or have worked, but have given up looking for a job either because Bush is a terrible president or they are waiting for liberal handouts dependent upon your viewpoint) are not included in this number.

Tell the markets and politicans how "meaningless" they are.

BTW, they aren't meaningless.
post #40 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: '01 C320

Quote:
Andrew2004az - 2/9/2006 6:11 PM

Again you just talked a lot of hot air and have yet to give any evidence that our economy at the present time is bad.. Try again.
Did you even bother reading the post? As I said, I'm neither bullish nor bearish on the economy right now, so why would I try to prove the economy is bad. I never said it was bad. I said unemployment figures were meaningless without the proper context for understanding them. Then I tried to provide you with a context for understanding them, which you promptly labeled as hot air. The urge to call you a moron is too strong to ignore.

Chip,

The markets are interested in unemployment figures, yes, but then most market players are knowledgeable about the underlying meaningfulness of these figures. They also are able to understand the differences between CPI and overall inflation. These figures are useful if one is knowledgeable enough to understand them properly, so maybe meaningless was too strong a characterization.

Politicians generally are only interested in them for how they can use them politically to skewer their opponents or brag of their accomplishments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in