LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Filet Mignon

Lets hear it from the chefs on this board, what is your method to grill the juiciest Filet Mignon which also is cooked throughout.

I go two or three times a year to this little restaurant way out of town, the restaurant has been in the family for almost a century, they cook the best Filet Mignon I ever tasted and I am well traveled, I asked for their recipe but I get politely ignored, it has no exotic flavor to it, just well cooked and tender and juicy, I am trying to duplicated it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
AMSOIL300CDT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
RE: Filet Mignon

marinate in olive oil, with fresh chopped garlic pushed into it, on both sides, and then season it to your taste...i just use black pepper (grinder) and some basil sprinkled on too.......let it sit for like 6 hours, turn it, and then fill in enough oil to submerge it....u can add some worchestershire sauce too now if u want, or BALSAMIC, yummy......then the next day, u can grille over high heat, quickly, and then turn down, and "recook" both sides, while dumping the mariniade over....about 5 minutes per side......then u can eat..!

this is on a weber gas grille....
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Gimmie a prime ribeye steak........Pittsburg rare, with blue cheese crust, thanks!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
lovemyc280 - 2/3/2006 12:58 PM

Gimmie a prime ribeye steak........Pittsburg rare, with blue cheese crust, thanks!
The best cut of Beef!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46_1771774_23200610249PM.jpg (52.6 KB, 20 views)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: B6

Ribeye > Tenderloin.

Freude am fahren!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '01 C320

Quote:
Andrew - 2/3/2006 12:48 PM

Lets hear it from the chefs on this board, what is your method to grill the juiciest Filet Mignon which also is cooked throughout.
What do you mean by cooked throughout?
I think it would be a tragedy to take a fine cut of meat like Filet Mignon and cook it throughout. Filet's are probably best medium rare. IMO, they are a good marinating steak since their leanness makes them somewhat short on natural flavor. I like the combination of Teriyaki sauce and Lemon pepper on filets.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430

Please don't ruin the steak by cooking it any more than medium rare. Might as well eat a shoe if you are talking about well done.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:28 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Andrew - 2/3/2006 5:48 PM

I go two or three times a year to this little restaurant way out of town, the restaurant has been in the family for almost a century, they cook the best Filet Mignon I ever tasted and I am well traveled, I asked for their recipe but I get politely ignored, it has no exotic flavor to it, just well cooked and tender and juicy, I am trying to duplicated it.
With Filet Mignon, the secret is less to do with the cooking and more to do with the quality of the meat you start with.A well aged steak will not appear 'raw'
even when cooked rare.
The best I ever had was probably at 'Christ Cellar' in NYC.However,I had smoked a spliff on the way to my
lunch meeting and 'the munchies' can alter one's perception of taste quite profoundly.[:p]

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320

I prefer a goo serloin about 2 inches thick I salt and pepper it on both sides turn on my WEBER GRILL
and sear it on both sides for about a minute and on low heat for about 7 minutes it is the best steak i have ever eaten. Besides a good steak need no sauce
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:

When it comes to cooking, I believe in minimalism - less possibilities of something going wrong, less cleanup [:D] - OTOH timing and each step of cooking becomes very important in order for a 'minimalist' approach to work. Otherwise, it becomes 'lazy' and 'negligent' cooking. Also, freshness and quality of the ingredient is of utmost importance.

As for filet mignon, I'd throw it on the grill, it is a lean cut but a good filet mignon will have enough of its own flavor to be savored: rub it with olive oil, salt&pepper to taste, heat the grill to 500-550F, brush canola oil on the grill grate, sear for 90sec, then reorient 60-75 degrees (get that nice criss-cross burn mark) on an unused part of the grate and sear for another 90 sec. Turn down the heat to medium, flip and locate the meat so that it does not sit directly atop the flame. Leave it on for 6-8 minutes (for rarer medium-rare on my grill) and reorient midway if you care for criss-cross pattern on the 'blind side'. Once it is cooked to desired doneness, serve on a pre-warmed plate, cut three slits and add 1 drop of soy sauce per slit. Leave for 5min, then it's time to eat [:P].

A blanched fresh spinach with a little d'Isigny unsalted butter to melt on top will make a nice side.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in