Vehicle: '84 300D W123.133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: THINK!

Quote:
starcar126 - 2/3/2006 11:49 AM

KLACKO;
The reason that biker got hurt or killed was the high speed he was traveling at. Did you see the speed at which other cars were going as compared to his speed? He was in a residential neighborhood, top speed 35 mph? You could tell that he was going much faster than that. Most motorcyclist I see, especially cafe style race bikes like that one, NEVER obey the posted speed limits. Accident was his fault.[xx(]

Any blame I save for the rider in this scenario is for not paying attention to the car on the verge of pulling into the intersection. He should have been covering the clutch and brake ready to react as soon as he noted the front wheel of the car start to roll. Good motorcyclists [who want to be good, old motorcyclists] treat everything in their surroundings as if it were intent on killing them...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

The other thing is that this was staged for a commercial. Still, I wouldn't want to be the motorcyclist, intentionally hitting a car. Yikes...

Speeding aside, other drivers have to be aware of their surroundings, and generally speaking, if you are looking for a motorcycle, you'll see it. Studies reflect that those who either ride a motorcycle or know someone close to them that rides are far more likely to see motorcycles when driving than those who are otherwise oblivious of their existence.

All of that said, any motorcyclist who rides with reckless abandon and doesn't approach the ride as though every person in a car is a complete moron whose only desire is to cause bikes to crash is taking his/her life for granted. Defensive driving is always a good idea. Defensive riding is an absolute requirement.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

that was a pretty cool video. I hate bikers sometimes. I dont mean to be mean, but a lot of times, they think they are better than cars, or something, and they cut you off, and you almost run into them.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 08:39 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

My wife coming home from work two years ago, came up to an accident that happened just minutes before anybody else got there. She saw a Harley on it's side, and a man with no helmet on lying halfway on his stomach, blood pooling around his head. When she looked closer she could see that his skull was split open exposing part of his brain! She freaked! She called 911 and they asked her if he was still breathing, she checked just to make sure. Nope. She still doesn't even want to talk about it. One of the cops told her they see this all the time. He said the strangest one he had heard about was the biker that hit a steel cable running from the ground up to a telephone pole. The cable sheared off his head, helmet and all, the bike crashed, but the head in the helmet rolled almost a half a block away! True! Think i'll drive in my nice SAFE MB.[8)]
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:47 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

MAN!!.....I almost fudged my undies.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300D

I think this proves that you need to be more cautious when you are on a motorcycle. Just think of it, a motorcycle weighs like 3or4 hundred pound vs a car that weighs 3thousand lbs. I don't know about you but I feel that cars are safer than bikes.

I'm shure that alot of people heard of the accident with Indian Larry. Indian Larry built Old school choppers, and he liked to perform stunts on them without waring a hemlet. Well one day he was doing a stunt on a new bike that he built and well he fell off the bike and he cracked his head open. He passed away in less than 20minutes after the accident.

It is a sad story, but In the accident with indian larry he would have lived if he had on a $20 helmet.

That is my $.02
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon

The clip makes a few points two of which are:
1) Ride a bike: Selectively your light on high beam...
...you'll briefly piss off every oncoming road user - but maybe live a day longer.
2) Mid 30's age car drivers - get your eyes checked, and start accepting the handicaps of ageing.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

Quote:
shrimpton - 2/4/2006 3:16 AM

The clip makes a few points two of which are:
1) Ride a bike: Selectively your light on high beam...
...you'll briefly piss off every oncoming road user - but maybe live a day longer.
2) Mid 30's age car drivers - get your eyes checked, and start accepting the handicaps of ageing.
3) Bikers need (have) to be even much more aware than car drivers, not blame car drivers for their - A)dangerous lane weaving B)habitual speeding C)not wearing helmets D)not realizing that just because you see a car (it's big) that doesn't mean the car sees you (you're small in comparison) D)it's your ass, so don't be careless. [:0]
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

No wonder there was an accident: Everybody was on the wrong side of the roads!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in