RE: Exxon Mobil Posts Largest Profit in History

Quote:
myfirstbenz - 2/1/2006 1:11 PM

Quote:
430 - 2/1/2006 5:38 AM

Quote:
myfirstbenz - 1/31/2006 9:49 PM

Chip...
You are saying that the only way to prosper is to have capitalisms view of success = money and material possessions. Is that what life is all about? Does money serve basic human needs? I never said anything about zero sum, I said balance, if people or companies make billions because they are based out of our country, infrastructure, economy and people, i am saying that it is only fair that these benefits reach all. When Oil companies make record profits which is part of the system, I don't see how it is fair to the american people that the companies continue to get tax breaks when they don't need them to stay profitable.

Incomes are growing, but not equally, incomes are growing for the rich far faster than the middle class and the poor, hence the income GAP is growing. Not to mention the tax burden is shifting unjustly to the poor.

Don't worry chip, if things don't turn around I'll be out of here in just a few years, this country has become a nation of greed and pointless consumerism and waste, this is not something I plan to support by living here any longer.
Why do you feel it is fair for everyone to benefit? The corporations already pay taxes and emply people. Why should they be punished for being successful? They were the ones who put up the money, they are the ones who took the risks, they are the ones fined billions of dollars for a tanker accident so why should someone who sits back and does nothing benefit?

The tax burden is not shifting to the poor. The ones squeezed are the middle class.
I am not going to go into any more discussion on taxes because either I am not making my points clear enough or maybe some people don't understand or don't want to agree for arguments sake. If you think taxes are a punishment and not a way of giving back for your being successful then ... I am not trying to win hearts and minds of the public, I am not a politician trying to win your vote, we could sit here forever and tit for tat this issue.
It sounds like you dont think they should pay for destroyin an ecosystem because they let a drunk pilot a tanker full of millions of gallons of oil, how can i even begin to try to convince you of the benefits of paying taxes and being a responsible national or global citizen...
I used to think it was the american way to work together, help those in need, and become successful on the strengths of this country's system, I guess I had it all wrong. Apparently america is about getting what you can out of it by giving as little as possible back, and if you are at the bottom, then good luck. Good morals tell me that everyone should be able to benifit, because aside from good luck and knowing the right people, we are all equal on some basic raw natural level. Why don't we bring back slavery? Those people had work, they had food... I would hope we would all want the best quality of life for everyone regardless of who they are. Some people have shit for luck or things out of their immediate control put them in a bad social or economic standing. I guess it just comes down to how you were raised. I am an Eagle Scout and in boy scouts you learn that being self sufficient and helping others is part of being a positive member to society. I believe this. I am honestly on the fence when it comes to helping people, like i have said so many times, i believe in balance, maybe you should read all of my post in this thread and not just the last one. There are far too many issues associated with either not paying or paying taxes and the system that that can support and the consequences that society faces when we don't help eachother. Look at the auto industry... astronomical healthcare costs are in part leading to subcontractors having to outsource work or simply go out of business. If we all paid a little bit into a system where we could all have some form of even basic healthcare, people wouldn't get as sick or wait till the last minute to get medical attention thus making it cheaper to solve the problem from the get go. Does anyone here who doesn't see some benefit to supporting a social welfare system of some kind, not neccesarily ours right now, do you look at it and study it from both sides or do you just let your pundits from FOX news tell you what to think? They are arguably a conservative christian network, and wasn't Jesus a person that taught us to help our fellow man when he was in times of need? This world is going to this shitter because nobody gives a damn about anyone but themself, that is my final two cents.
I get my information from a bong. It tells me everything.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
myfirstbenz - 2/1/2006 1:11 PM

Quote:
430 - 2/1/2006 5:38 AM

Quote:

Chip...
You are saying that the only way to prosper is to have capitalisms view of success = money and material possessions. Is that what life is all about? Does money serve basic human needs? I never said anything about zero sum, I said balance, if people or companies make billions because they are based out of our country, infrastructure, economy and people, i am saying that it is only fair that these benefits reach all. When Oil companies make record profits which is part of the system, I don't see how it is fair to the american people that the companies continue to get tax breaks when they don't need them to stay profitable.

Incomes are growing, but not equally, incomes are growing for the rich far faster than the middle class and the poor, hence the income GAP is growing. Not to mention the tax burden is shifting unjustly to the poor.

Don't worry chip, if things don't turn around I'll be out of here in just a few years, this country has become a nation of greed and pointless consumerism and waste, this is not something I plan to support by living here any longer.
Why do you feel it is fair for everyone to benefit? The corporations already pay taxes and emply people. Why should they be punished for being successful? They were the ones who put up the money, they are the ones who took the risks, they are the ones fined billions of dollars for a tanker accident so why should someone who sits back and does nothing benefit?

The tax burden is not shifting to the poor. The ones squeezed are the middle class.
I am not going to go into any more discussion on taxes because either I am not making my points clear enough or maybe some people don't understand or don't want to agree for arguments sake. If you think taxes are a punishment and not a way of giving back for your being successful then ... I am not trying to win hearts and minds of the public, I am not a politician trying to win your vote, we could sit here forever and tit for tat this issue.
It sounds like you dont think they should pay for destroyin an ecosystem because they let a drunk pilot a tanker full of millions of gallons of oil, how can i even begin to try to convince you of the benefits of paying taxes and being a responsible national or global citizen...
I used to think it was the american way to work together, help those in need, and become successful on the strengths of this country's system, I guess I had it all wrong. Apparently america is about getting what you can out of it by giving as little as possible back, and if you are at the bottom, then good luck. Good morals tell me that everyone should be able to benifit, because aside from good luck and knowing the right people, we are all equal on some basic raw natural level. Why don't we bring back slavery? Those people had work, they had food... I would hope we would all want the best quality of life for everyone regardless of who they are. Some people have shit for luck or things out of their immediate control put them in a bad social or economic standing. I guess it just comes down to how you were raised. I am an Eagle Scout and in boy scouts you learn that being self sufficient and helping others is part of being a positive member to society. I believe this. I am honestly on the fence when it comes to helping people, like i have said so many times, i believe in balance, maybe you should read all of my post in this thread and not just the last one. There are far too many issues associated with either not paying or paying taxes and the system that that can support and the consequences that society faces when we don't help eachother. Look at the auto industry... astronomical healthcare costs are in part leading to subcontractors having to outsource work or simply go out of business. If we all paid a little bit into a system where we could all have some form of even basic healthcare, people wouldn't get as sick or wait till the last minute to get medical attention thus making it cheaper to solve the problem from the get go. Does anyone here who doesn't see some benefit to supporting a social welfare system of some kind, not neccesarily ours right now, do you look at it and study it from both sides or do you just let your pundits from FOX news tell you what to think? They are arguably a conservative christian network, and wasn't Jesus a person that taught us to help our fellow man when he was in times of need? This world is going to this shitter because nobody gives a damn about anyone but themself, that is my final two cents.
So if Exxon should pay extra taxes for having a succesful year to 'help everyone out'. Does that mean you are willing to write a check to them in a year that they lose money?
post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

[QUOTE]myfirstbenz - 1/31/2006 10:41 PM

[QUOTE]chiphomme - 1/31/2006 7:20 PM

Quote:
feel that they don't need to help others by paying taxes and this is eviednt through their support of the GOP that is out for tax cuts and inappropriate government cuts in social programs that end up helping keep costs down in the long run, and also cutting defense when they play it as their trump card so often.
How about an example of one of these 'inappropriate' gov't cuts in social programs.
post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
guage - 1/31/2006 2:10 PM

Quote:
Shane - 1/31/2006 2:39 PM

Amazing that some lost souls/consumers still are on the side of big oil/corporations. Balance is nowhere to be seen. Gonna take another major recession or fuel shortage to make the masses wise up. Nothing like a brick to the head to get your attention.
Why is it that oil corps are not allowed to
make a profit from what the market well bear?
Because they didn't earn it. It was paid directly from the US treasury (ie: my pockets). They need to pay for the US military protection they enjoy, and they need to pay for their own capital expenses.

Of course I wouldn't stop there, I would make them finacially responsible for their environmental damage, but that's just me and my libertarian viewpoint.

OBK #35

post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2008 CLK63 Black Series, 2008 Cayenne GTS

Quote:
old300D - 2/1/2006 1:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Amazing that some lost souls/consumers still are on the side of big oil/corporations. Balance is nowhere to be seen. Gonna take another major recession or fuel shortage to make the masses wise up. Nothing like a brick to the head to get your attention.
Because they didn't earn it. It was paid directly from the US treasury (ie: my pockets). They need to pay for the US military protection they enjoy, and they need to pay for their own capital expenses.

Of course I wouldn't stop there, I would make them finacially responsible for their environmental damage, but that's just me and my libertarian viewpoint.
Why do you say they didn't earn it? How do they "earn it"?
And what "environmental damage" are you referring to?
And who's responsible, the oil industry or the consumer?

It gets tiresome reading these lame vilifications of corporate America.
Please tell me what entity should decide what is a fair profit and what is not. Who is a better judge, the free market or government?

post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2008 CLK63 Black Series, 2008 Cayenne GTS

Quote:
myfirstbenz - 1/31/2006 10:41 PM

Quote:
chiphomme - 1/31/2006 7:20 PM

Quote:

Chip...

So you agree all incomes are growing. But you're complaining that the upper income brackets are growing more quickly?
I am saying that those at the top are growing at larger rates than those at the bottom, and that those at the top don't face the same tax burden and with changing tax codes will often feel relief from the taxes that they do pay. I am just amazed that so many of them, not all, feel that they don't need to help others by paying taxes and this is eviednt through their support of the GOP that is out for tax cuts and inappropriate government cuts in social programs that end up helping keep costs down in the long run, and also cutting defense when they play it as their trump card so often.
Lets say you are someone who has made lots of money in this country with the help of our systems and our people, taxes and the programs that they can support are a way of saying thank you and that you would want others to be able to succeed just as you have. I am not promoting govt waste and hand outs for nothing. But tying this back to the original thread post, if you are going to make billions of dollars such as Exxonmobil... pay your fair share of taxes to help support this system rather than milk it for all it is worth. Do you not believe that americans should help eachother in these ways or am I mistaken and that this country is really a fend for yourself nation?

I can tell you from first hand experience that the top income bracket gets screwed. And if you don't believe me here's a breakdown of tax burden.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/TaxFacts/Tfdb/Content/PDF/Effective_Rate_historical_all.pdf

Frankly nearly half the population pays little or nothing in federal income tax. I guarantee spending would decline if that voting segmant actually had to absorb the runaway spending of the feds.

post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Chip,

Thanks for the .pdf... I wonder who people are talking about when people post "they" as in "they need to pay for the military..." Its almost like "they" are some foreign body or separate entity. "They" are companies, which means assemblages of people, citizen and otherwise, conducting business according to the prevailing rules and regulations... "They" are not some singularity...

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
chiphomme - 2/1/2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please tell me what entity should decide what is a fair profit and what is not. Who is a better judge, the free market or government?

I just told you why they didn't earn it. What is not clear about corporate welfare? Why should we give tax dollars to a profitable company so they can build refineries? Why should we let oil company lobbies write energy legislation enabling them to get power to claim land to drill and pollute with no compensation to the property owners? Come on, you think welfare is bad, why should rich corporations get a free ride?

OBK #35

post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
old300D - 2/1/2006 3:10 PM

Quote:
chiphomme - 2/1/2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just told you why they didn't earn it. What is not clear about corporate welfare? Why should we give tax dollars to a profitable company so they can build refineries? Why should we let oil company lobbies write energy legislation enabling them to get power to claim land to drill and pollute with no compensation to the property owners? Come on, you think welfare is bad, why should rich corporations get a free ride?
What special military protection are they getting that every other US citizen & corporation is not getting?

What land are they getting without having to compensate land owners? Where are they polluting willy nilly with no consequences?

It is the environmentalists that are doing to most damage to the environment, energy policy, and energy dependence. Nuclear power adresses these problems to a greater or lesser extent.

So how are the oil compaines not paying their fair share in taxes:

These large oil concerns are already subject to a 35% corporate income tax rate, and record profits mean commensurate tax payments to the federal Treasury. According to a new report from the Washington-based Tax Foundation, Exxon, ConocoPhillips and Chevron paid a combined $44.3 billion in corporate income taxes in 2005, or 49.2% more than the $29.7 billion they paid the previous year.

Furthermore, says the report, "the average effective tax rate on the major integrated oil and gas industry is estimated to equal 38.3%. This exceeds the estimated average effective tax rate of 32.3% for the market as a whole." In other words, even without Congress' would-be ex post facto confiscation of profits, energy companies are already providing the Members with a "windfall" to use to finance their 14,000 spending earmarks.
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:37 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
430 - 2/1/2006 2:34 PM

So how are the oil compaines not paying their fair share in taxes:

These large oil concerns are already subject to a 35% corporate income tax rate, and record profits mean commensurate tax payments to the federal Treasury. According to a new report from the Washington-based Tax Foundation, Exxon, ConocoPhillips and Chevron paid a combined $44.3 billion in corporate income taxes in 2005, or 49.2% more than the $29.7 billion they paid the previous year.

Furthermore, says the report, "the average effective tax rate on the major integrated oil and gas industry is estimated to equal 38.3%. This exceeds the estimated average effective tax rate of 32.3% for the market as a whole." In other words, even without Congress' would-be ex post facto confiscation of profits, energy companies are already providing the Members with a "windfall" to use to finance their 14,000 spending earmarks.
Now here's where I differ from the reigning opinion expressed in the body of this text (harkening back to a similar post months ago). The corporations actually pay ZERO tax! Now before you go berserk, consider this. Like any business expense, the tax is passed to the consumer... Sure, they pony up cash to the treasury, but it comes from you and me. YOU CANNOT TAX BUSINESS. You are only passing it along to the consumer! When you finally accept this, you will begin to realize how much better a national sales tax is, and do away with income tax altogether, corporate and otherwise! Exxon and the other oil companies did not pay the above quoted tax... You and I and the other 400 million consumers did!

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in