Shush Rush? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
GermanStar - 1/22/2006 10:24 AM

Quote:
MS Fowler - 1/22/2006 6:33 AM

Jim,
I am at a loss.
You attribute hatred to me; yet I do not expouse hatred. It is your ilk ( I love to use that perjorative--is there ever a positive "ilk"?) who spew the hatred.
Does Jim regularly initiate threads that imply half the population of this country is beneath him and of a different "ilk". Does he try to hold half the population of the country accountable for the actions/words of a few individuals? ...
"Regularly?" No.

Bot
Botnst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Location: Bel AIr, MD
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Shush Rush?

Any disagreements, I have are based on ideas, prinicles, or policy, or actions. I harbor no ill will toward Jim, or even KV. I've offered KV a place to crash if he ever decides to come east to the AACA fall meet at hershey. I probably can't find another person with whom i disagree with politically, but I think we could have a good time together over old cars, and such.
I do not think that people who disagree with me are "idiots" and have not posted to that effect.
I do marvel that the good citizens of Mass. return Ed Kenedy to his Senate office year after year, but thats their business.
Am I not allowed to disagree with you, and have you not call it "hate". If thats the case, then langauge has been perverted beyond its ability to be useful. (I think thats your predudice showing---you seem to project hatred on anyone whom disagrees with you--Is that a rational way to be, or are you hurt by the hatred you seem to espouse?)
MS Fowler is offline  
post #53 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
azimuth - 1/22/2006 12:03 AM
You may have to listen for more than five minutes. It is tedious, but if I can do it, you can. Trust me, they have the same goal, even if Franken is less capable. It not just Franken though, there are other hosts who are also vitriolic. I suppose the climate of the programming, even the very purpose of Air America is to battle for the minds of the people using tactics like subtlety, distortion and half-facts, reflect the tactics of the other shows you mentioned.

elementally, that Air America is impotent is not the point. They are engaged in the contention you stated libbies are not. I'm not suggesting you lied or anything ill-willed, simply a correction as I see it.
My point is made by the simple fact that Air America is impotent. It is not a communication theme that resonates with liberals, or it would not be impotent. I tried and failed to listen. While I heard nothing to compare in basic emotional intent to incite that I hear on Rush's show in similarly small bits, it also failed to entertain or otherwise seem interesting. That is apparently the case with most liberals. Therefore, one can conclude the concept of a show like the one you heard when you listened is basically not liberal in philosophy or appeal. Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #54 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Location: Bel AIr, MD
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
JimSmith - 1/22/2006 6:23 PM

Quote:
azimuth - 1/22/2006 12:03 AM
You may have to listen for more than five minutes. It is tedious, but if I can do it, you can. Trust me, they have the same goal, even if Franken is less capable. It not just Franken though, there are other hosts who are also vitriolic. I suppose the climate of the programming, even the very purpose of Air America is to battle for the minds of the people using tactics like subtlety, distortion and half-facts, reflect the tactics of the other shows you mentioned.

elementally, that Air America is impotent is not the point. They are engaged in the contention you stated libbies are not. I'm not suggesting you lied or anything ill-willed, simply a correction as I see it.
My point is made by the simple fact that Air America is impotent. It is not a communication theme that resonates with liberals, or it would not be impotent. I tried and failed to listen. While I heard nothing to compare in basic emotional intent to incite that I hear on Rush's show in similarly small bits, it also failed to entertain or otherwise seem interesting. That is apparently the case with most liberals. Therefore, one can conclude the concept of a show like the one you heard when you listened is basically not liberal in philosophy or appeal. Jim
Jim,
Is the fact that liberal talk radio is a no go a reason for allowing the attack on the freedom of speech by trying to stop talk radio? Is it simply a matter of political expediency for liberals to take away Rights when they threaten their political power?
Please say it isn't so; Stand up and defend freedom.
MS Fowler is offline  
post #55 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
MS Fowler - 1/22/2006 8:33 AM

Jim,
I am at a loss.
You attribute hatred to me; yet I do not expouse hatred. It is your ilk ( I love to use that perjorative--is there ever a positive "ilk"?) who spew the hatred. Just look at the hate-filled speech posted by "you" guys against the prsident. It is full of Hitler, nazi, jack-booted thugs, gestopo--all terms intended to inflame.
The worst term I think I use is to call you "liberals" or socialists".
Where comes the race baiting? Do conservatives engage in that? What party keeps minorities "in their place"? Which political party has no limits for minorities who embrace the basic tenets of that party? Bush, ( your Hitler) has minorities in high places in his cabinet--not "token appointments", but real substance. Dems have NEVER elevated minoritues to high office--Secretary of Commerce or HUD are not high office. Bush's long time, chief advisor, is gasp, a woman! How dare repubilcans not fit your stereotype.

I enjoy engaging in the area of ideas. Dems simply hurl invective, and emotion-charged insults.. What is the substance of the debate of the Alito? Maybe, it is feared, he might overturn Woe v Wade. Well, what of it? Ruth Bader-Ginsberg has called it " bad law". Many States are passing legislation permitting, or prohibiting abortion within their bounds as they wish, and as is their Right, just in case Roe v Wade is ever over turned. Abortions will still be available.
Why the hypocrasy on the "advise and consent"? When Clinton made his nomination, she was approved, almost unanimously, even though everyone knew she was a liberal. No one raised objection to her belonging to a liberal group; it was simply that she was qualified. The "advise and consent" was not intended to require an examination of political ideals; but dems have perverted the process. Where will this end? The same with the threat of a fillibuster--it has never been used on judicial nominations--the dems are taking us down a new road.
The log is in your eye, my friend. Perhaps there are logs in all our eyes.
The intent of my comments was not to attribute hatred to you. The intent of the comments was to point out that Rush's show, as well as the Fox News "No Spin Zone" do promote hating liberals. And it seems to be working. The Franken show Az is all worked up about seems to be trying to appeal to non-liberals who like to be manipulated by emotional appeals and the like, to try to use the Rush tactics to collect those who may be influenced by these tactics. The tactics don't appeal to me, so I listen to neither. The tactics do appeal to you, and, by your description, to the point where the tactics do not appear to be actual tactics. Your choice to listen while you drive, presumably because you like what you hear. From where I stand that means you don't want to hear discussions supporting liberal concepts. You would rather hear someone rant about how they should be eliminated.

And, you are correct. I don't find much of value personified by our President. I don't find his actions or views particularly representative of conservative principles either. And neither do a number of leading conservatives. Based on the history of Nazi Germany, its rise to power and how it gained the stranglehold it maintained over the German people, our current President is the closest thing to the rebirth of Hitler this country has ever experienced. I see no limits to the power grabbing. I see lots of manipulations and lies. A thread not too long ago posted a film clip of him lying to the American people about the spying on American citizens he was secretly authorizing without any involvement of the courts. I see a President who used 9-11 to gain special authorizations to violate our civil rights and then take liberties with these authorizations to suit his power grabbing desires. I am not suggesting this is a Republican Party agenda, per se. I do think Bush relies heavily on the unthinking support of the Republican Party membership, including those elected officials in the House and Senate.

While we are wandering off the range of this thread, the Alito and Roberts nominations are offensive to me personally because these guys are merely good lawyers. They are for hire and will argue your case if you are paying, apparently without regard for ethics. Based on this history they are beholden to Bush and his crew and will do his bidding. Merely saying they won't is hardly as convincing as a thirty year career of doing just that. The Judicial Branch exists as it does to be one of the checks and balances. A series of Justices who know who their boss is, the executive branch, make this a less effective agent to make our government function as the Constitution intended. Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #56 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Alito was a judge on the Court of Appeals.

Earl Warren was a governor. Maybe we should have fewer prof lawyers on the SC.

Bot
Botnst is offline  
post #57 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
MS Fowler - 1/22/2006 6:55 PM
Jim,
Is the fact that liberal talk radio is a no go a reason for allowing the attack on the freedom of speech by trying to stop talk radio? Is it simply a matter of political expediency for liberals to take away Rights when they threaten their political power?
Please say it isn't so; Stand up and defend freedom.
You guys are impossible to keep on track. Please show me where in this or any other thread I supported legislation that tries to stop talk radio.

I believe you will find I said the exact opposite. I supported your contention that censorship was not good. Ever.

I went on to say I find most talk radio offensive enough to be able to begin to understand the right's efforts to use censorship to eliminate nudity on TV and other forms of porn they find offensive. I never agreed that censorship was the right response though.

You guys defended Rush's show as having socially redeeming value. Sounds a lot like the arguments the porn hustlers use to suggest their product has socially redeeming values. I stand by my analogy. Talk radio is just another form of pornography on the air. Much like Howard Stern. Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #58 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
JimSmith - 1/22/2006 5:15 PM

Please show me where in this or any other thread I supported legislation that tries to stop talk radio.
You are guilty by association. You were also guilty of throwing some cookies at a black conservative a few weeks ago. Try and keep up, will ya? [:D]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #59 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
azimuth's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
JimSmith - 1/22/2006 6:23 PM

Quote:
azimuth - 1/22/2006 12:03 AM
You may have to listen for more than five minutes. It is tedious, but if I can do it, you can. Trust me, they have the same goal, even if Franken is less capable. It not just Franken though, there are other hosts who are also vitriolic. I suppose the climate of the programming, even the very purpose of Air America is to battle for the minds of the people using tactics like subtlety, distortion and half-facts, reflect the tactics of the other shows you mentioned.

elementally, that Air America is impotent is not the point. They are engaged in the contention you stated libbies are not. I'm not suggesting you lied or anything ill-willed, simply a correction as I see it.
My point is made by the simple fact that Air America is impotent. It is not a communication theme that resonates with liberals, or it would not be impotent. I tried and failed to listen. While I heard nothing to compare in basic emotional intent to incite that I hear on Rush's show in similarly small bits, it also failed to entertain or otherwise seem interesting. That is apparently the case with most liberals. Therefore, one can conclude the concept of a show like the one you heard when you listened is basically not liberal in philosophy or appeal. Jim
I accept your point. You are correct and I was not. What I should have done is ask if you thought the libbie libsters were above trying to equal or surpass the efforts of right wing talk. That opportunity is missed but the point for me is that though you said they have no blah, blah, blah whatever, they are trying to.

The right has chosen direct communication via AM radio to promote their plans to the people. What should the left do to promote their plans for the US?

aborted Shop Forum member

azimuth is offline  
post #60 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
azimuth's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Shush Rush?

Quote:
GermanStar - 1/22/2006 7:18 PM

Quote:
JimSmith - 1/22/2006 5:15 PM

Please show me where in this or any other thread I supported legislation that tries to stop talk radio.
You are guilty by association. You were also guilty of throwing some cookies at a black conservative a few weeks ago. Try and keep up, will ya? [:D]
Hey watch it, G or I'll show you a pic of a bullet.

aborted Shop Forum member

azimuth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome