OT : Should I have kids? - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:01 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: OT : Should I have kids?

I considered selling my son to the Gypsies but figured if he could do something exceptionally well like hack into Chase Manhatten or something, the payoff would be better. So we'll keep him for now but I'm afraid the little ingrate isn't devious enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '05 C55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ya just gotta do it. They're great, challenging and expensive, true, but still great. We've get a 6 and 1 yr old.....best thing we've ever done.[:)]

'05 C55 - Obsidian Blk/Blk - CLK Grill - Green Filters - Clear bra - LoJack
post #63 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430

Quote:
4benzes - 1/21/2006 12:43 AM

430:
That was a stupid comment for you to make being critical of someones relationship with their children. I have seen many parents that take great pride and satisfaction in their children and grandchildren as their lives progress into their senior years, and they are comfortable with the accomplishments in their lives. For you to call someones life shallow and meaningless because it does not meet up to what you consider important was ignorant.
I stand by my statement.
post #64 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

If you haven't seen it, or even if you have, check out Steve Martin and Mary Steenburgen in the movie "Parenthood". My wife and I could really relate to their "Roller Coaster" ride of being parents. It's a fun "Family" movie.
post #65 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005

Quote:
bocobod - 1/18/2006 7:24 PM

So...my wife - who has always been a career woman (makes more momey than I do) - has started talking scary. In the past her position has always been that she doesn't have the time and energy for motherhood and always thought babies were loud, dirty little money pits.

Now she's always cuddling every baby she can get her hands on and wondering out loud if she would make a good mother. She hasn't explicitly come out and said she's changed her mind and wants children, but I think it's only a matter of time. [:0]

Now to be honest, I'm not sure if I can handle fatherhood. I know some people say that once they first see their baby, their life changes and suddenly has meaning. I'm thinking of the sleepless nights, the day care, the teenage years, college tuitions...NO MORE SUPERCHARGERS!

I guess I'm being shallow. Someone out there please give me a pep talk about how great parenthood is so I can do something more than break out into hives when my wife brings up the subject officially.

May I belatedly add, If one cannot abandon his/her interests for the sake of another, who, for decades will not fully appreciate the sacrifice-if ever, then no. That person should not have kids. Over the years, this Q has been posed to me several times. My response is consistently, if you have to ask, then no, you are not ready. There is no shame to this, really. Some folks are not wired for unreciprocated sacrifice.

OTOH, after all that is given, after all that is lost, after all that never became because one was engaged in such selflessness as parenthood, when one's gaze is locked with the loving, trusting gaze of his child, the heart swells to fill any perceived void the material world left. It is worth it if you are willing.

In the waning winter years of life, one finds comfort, support and purpose in his progeny and their acheivements. It is at this time when dignity is most delicate and the superficial beauty and flashy bling that lured some away from familial anchorage, will be gone; the void to remain unfilled. There is only one thing more mournful than missed opportunity, that is unfulfilled potential.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #66 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1989 300 TE

"I'm not sure if I can handle fatherhood" I don't think any of us really knows for sure. Your wonders will be gone when you child gives you a kiss, or say's I love you.
It is the most wonderful think you can ever do in my opinion!
post #67 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:55 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
azimuth - 1/21/2006 1:29 PM

Quote:
bocobod - 1/18/2006 7:24 PM

So...my wife - who has always been a career woman (makes more momey than I do) - has started talking scary. In the past her position has always been that she doesn't have the time and energy for motherhood and always thought babies were loud, dirty little money pits.

Now she's always cuddling every baby she can get her hands on and wondering out loud if she would make a good mother. She hasn't explicitly come out and said she's changed her mind and wants children, but I think it's only a matter of time. [:0]

Now to be honest, I'm not sure if I can handle fatherhood. I know some people say that once they first see their baby, their life changes and suddenly has meaning. I'm thinking of the sleepless nights, the day care, the teenage years, college tuitions...NO MORE SUPERCHARGERS!

I guess I'm being shallow. Someone out there please give me a pep talk about how great parenthood is so I can do something more than break out into hives when my wife brings up the subject officially.

May I belatedly add, If one cannot abandon his/her interests for the sake of another, who, for decades will not fully appreciate the sacrifice-if ever, then no. That person should not have kids. Over the years, this Q has been posed to me several times. My response is consistently, if you have to ask, then no, you are not ready. There is no shame to this, really. Some folks are not wired for unreciprocated sacrifice.

OTOH, after all that is given, after all that is lost, after all that never became because one was engaged in such selflessness as parenthood, when one's gaze is locked with the loving, trusting gaze of his child, the heart swells to fill any perceived void the material world left. It is worth it if you are willing.

In the waning winter years of life, one finds comfort, support and purpose in his progeny and their acheivements. It is at this time when dignity is most delicate and the superficial beauty and flashy bling that lured some away from familial anchorage, will be gone; the void to remain unfilled. There is only one thing more mournful than missed opportunity, that is unfulfilled potential.
What a voluminous crock of poo! J/K, very well said. You are all to be congratulated for your preparation in parenthood. My kid was an oopsie, but we love him just the same.[^]

post #68 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2007 ML350
(Thread Starter)

OK, Ok. I Think I have an idea.

Maybe we can adopt a blond 18 year old swedish hottie. That way I can skip all the diapers and such and instead of college I can home school her. I can just picture the quaint scene of fatherly bliss : her on my lap in the kithcen as we go over her differential equations and macro economics...aahh sweet, what a good dad!

Think the wife will go dor it? [:p]
post #69 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: ML430/ SL500 SA

Quote:
430 - 1/20/2006 5:56 PM

Quote:
iNeon - 1/20/2006 4:33 PM

Quote:
430 - 1/20/2006 12:03 PM

Quote:
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 1/19/2006 9:41 PM

They are my reason for living.
I am sorry but this is one of the saddest statements I have ever heard. What does it say about you, your wife/marriage, and you life if your kids are your whole reason to live?
it says he is a devoted parent, or did i miss something?

even sadder would be missing this whole experience because he wanted a sl instead of a minivan.
I have no problem with him being a devoted parent. But if the kids are his whole reason for living I feel sorry for him. It is a shame that his life is so shallow and meaningless that he has to live for and through his Children.

Some people truly should not be parents. In fact there are lots of people who should not be parents. So it is not necessarily a bad thing that someone choses to have an SL instead of a minivan. Hell, most people give more thought to what they are going to wear to work on Monday than they do to having children.
First of all...I have a minivan AND an SL.

Secondly, as someone who knows absolutely nothing about me you sure make a lot of assumptions.

"I feel much better ever since I gave up hope."

1999 ML430 * Navigation System * 285/70 R17 All terrain T/As -33 inchers*ORC suspension lift kit* Side Step Rail Rock Sliders * Brush Guard * HELLA lamps * Front Skid Plate* All Weather Mats * All-Terrain Rear Seat Cover * Wet Okole Neoprene Front seat covers* All-Weather Rear Cargo Mat/Divider * Yakima LoadWarrior Rack * Roofmount Fullsize spare * Trailer Hitch * Rhino Hitch Step* Rhino Tail Light Guards* WARN 8000i Multi-Mount Winch* Go-Light Remote Motorized Spotlight * Moto-Jack Motorcycle Carrier

2002 SL500 Sliver Arrow w/limited edition James Bond briefcase
post #70 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:07 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: ML430/ SL500 SA

Quote:
430 - 1/21/2006 8:28 AM

Quote:
4benzes - 1/21/2006 12:43 AM

430:
That was a stupid comment for you to make being critical of someones relationship with their children. I have seen many parents that take great pride and satisfaction in their children and grandchildren as their lives progress into their senior years, and they are comfortable with the accomplishments in their lives. For you to call someones life shallow and meaningless because it does not meet up to what you consider important was ignorant.
I stand by my statement.
Ignorance and arrogance are a volatile mix.

I love being underestimated, however.

It is really kinda funny.

[:)]

"I feel much better ever since I gave up hope."

1999 ML430 * Navigation System * 285/70 R17 All terrain T/As -33 inchers*ORC suspension lift kit* Side Step Rail Rock Sliders * Brush Guard * HELLA lamps * Front Skid Plate* All Weather Mats * All-Terrain Rear Seat Cover * Wet Okole Neoprene Front seat covers* All-Weather Rear Cargo Mat/Divider * Yakima LoadWarrior Rack * Roofmount Fullsize spare * Trailer Hitch * Rhino Hitch Step* Rhino Tail Light Guards* WARN 8000i Multi-Mount Winch* Go-Light Remote Motorized Spotlight * Moto-Jack Motorcycle Carrier

2002 SL500 Sliver Arrow w/limited edition James Bond briefcase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in