Send a message via AIM to Ammonium
RE: Bush can wiretap in time of war

Quote:
Botnst - 1/18/2006 6:43 PM

Quote:
Ammonium - 1/18/2006 3:20 PM

Quote:
AMGod - 1/18/2006 10:35 AM

The Clinton-Gore administration had engaged in warrantless physical searches; an FBI search of the home of CIA turncoat Aldrich Ames without permission from a judge. Clinton's deputy attorney general, Jamie Gorelick, had testified before Congress that the president had the inherent authority to engage in physical searches without warrants.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.[:)]
Or, you could check the law to make sure the facts are correct before you spread half-truths. Observe...

Quote:
This morning, ThinkProgress revealed charges of hypocrisy leveled against former Vice President Al Gore by Attorney General Gonzales were completely baseless. Now, the AP has updated its story on the Bush administration’s smear of Gore to include the facts:

McClellan said the Clinton-Gore administration had engaged in warrantless physical searches, and he cited an FBI search of the home of CIA turncoat Aldrich Ames without permission from a judge. He said Clinton’s deputy attorney general, Jamie Gorelick, had testified before Congress that the president had the inherent authority to engage in physical searches without warrants.

“I think his hypocrisy knows no bounds,� McClellan said of Gore.

But at the time of the Ames search in 1993 and when Gorelick testified a year later, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act required warrants for electronic surveillance for intelligence purposes, but did not cover physical searches. The law was changed to cover physical searches in 1995 under legislation that Clinton supported and signed.

Bush’s attorney general, Alberto Gonzales, made the same arguments as McClellan during interviews Monday on CNN’s “Larry King Live� and Fox News Channel’s “Hannity & Colmes.�
More...

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/01/17/ap-reports-facts
gg...try again tomorrow.
Thnkprogressive.org. Whoa. Got anything from another objective source like maybe Commies_are_us.com or Ima_nazi_n_youre_toast.org?

B
Everything from the thinkprogress.org article was reported by the Associated Press. Are you going to call the AP liars too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How about Media Matters bot? Will that float your boat or are they still part of that "liberal media"?

Quote:
When Gorelick testified before the House Intelligence Committee in 1994 that the president had the "inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches," FISA did not apply to physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes, as Media Matters for America has noted. A year later, Congress -- with Clinton's support -- amended FISA to require court orders for physical searches. The Clinton administration thereafter never argued that any "inherent authority" pre-empted the new warrant requirements for physical searches under FISA.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200512220011
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Ammonium - 1/18/2006 8:38 PM

How about Media Matters bot? Will that float your boat or are they still part of that "liberal media"?

Quote:
When Gorelick testified before the House Intelligence Committee in 1994 that the president had the "inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches," FISA did not apply to physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes, as Media Matters for America has noted. A year later, Congress -- with Clinton's support -- amended FISA to require court orders for physical searches. The Clinton administration thereafter never argued that any "inherent authority" pre-empted the new warrant requirements for physical searches under FISA.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200512220011
Note the emphasis in the quoted text about "physical searches." I believe that the issue in question concerns wiretaps, not "physical searches."
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

The issue AMgod raised concerned physical searches.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Ammonium - 1/18/2006 9:15 PM

But that has nothing to do with the whole current imbroglio, does it? I mean, if AMGod pursues a non sequitar and throws red herrings with wild abandon doesn't mean we must argue it, right?

B
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Botnst - 1/18/2006 9:24 PM

Quote:

But that has nothing to do with the whole current imbroglio, does it? I mean, if AMGod pursues a non sequitar and throws red herrings with wild abandon doesn't mean we must argue it, right?

B
What exactly is the point to your posting? AMgod raised an issue and I argued my side back. Have I done anything wrong?
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Ammonium - 1/18/2006 9:56 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 1/18/2006 9:24 PM

Quote:

B
What exactly is the point to your posting? AMgod raised an issue and I argued my side back. Have I done anything wrong?
Wrong? Certainly not. It's just that it seems a waste o electrons to beat senseless a non sequitar with a red herring.

B
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D

Quote:
Botnst - 1/18/2006 5:51 PM

Quote:
old300D - 1/18/2006 6:57 PM

Quote:
guage - 1/18/2006 8:25 AM

I don't think it's been determined if they were
listening in on U.S. citizens, has it?
Only that Bush said they were. Not that you can trust what he says. [:I][8)]
And that is supposed to be what the Select Intelligence Committees of both houses are supposed to insure. That is the whole damned purpose of of those committees--oversight. If those mofos don't do their job then you can bet yerass that this or any other Adminstration will run with the ball as far as they can go. It is especially enumbant upon the party not in the Whitehouse to scrutinize the Exec.

According to the above analysis from an attorney with the Clinton Administration, precedence and Judicial Branch interpretation are on the Ecexc's side. It will be interesting to see how the various lawsuits play out.

Even more interesting will be when the Democrats get the Whitehouse, will they voluntarily restrict that power? Will they ask Congress to make laws restricting the Exec?

Bot
Yes, that could be interesting indeed.

OBK #35

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005

This is why the liberal DNC is ever weakening despite the media brainwashing. They are out of step with the core values of safety and security with the mainstream voters. 58% are okay with the NSA countermeasures against terror. The purported Bin Laden tape is the signal to activate the AQ cells to launch their next operation on our shores. Without the NSA would we even have any leads as to who or where the sleepers are? Methinks not. UBL just gave a huge boost to the current Administration. Who can vote against the expiring Patriot Act now? It is only good until 03 FEB 2006. The blood of the next homeland attack will be politically on every Democrat who opposes it before election day. The American voting populace still remembers 09-11 even if the neo-lib DNC doesn't recognize it. [:D]

'03 C32, '03 E55

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2002 C230

Quote:
AMGod - 1/19/2006 2:50 PM

The purported Bin Laden tape is the signal to activate the AQ cells to launch their next operation on our shores. Without the NSA would we even have any leads as to who or where the sleepers are? Methinks not. UBL just gave a huge boost to the current Administration. Who can vote against the expiring Patriot Act now? It is only good until 03 FEB 2006. The blood of the next homeland attack will be politically on every Democrat who opposes it before election day. The American voting populace still remembers 09-11 even if the neo-lib DNC doesn't recognize it. [:D]
If the wiretapping worked, why didn't we know about BL's tape before it became public? And if an attack does go down, how will that signal that this policy has worked? Using hypotheticals to prove your point doesn't really work too well, does it. Might as well use a Magic 8 Ball as verification.

2002 Ccoupe, not as good as others, apparently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in