Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shot up the sheriff?

Americas

The Times January 14, 2006

Homosexual on the range: rodeo where gay cowboys can ride high
From Chris Ayres in Phoenix, Arizona

THE gate opens, and the beast — head down and nostrils flared with anger — bolts out into the arena. Clinging to its horns is a young man in leather chaps and a cowboy shirt.
“Pull him over! Roll! Roll!� yells a hoarse female voice from somewhere above.

But the beast, a castrated ox, or steer, is winning this particular duel. The cowboy’s face is a study of determination thwarted by mortal terror.

“C’mon, you’re bigger than him!� shouts the voice (not strictly true), but it is too late: the cowboy is already face down in the dirt and the steer has won its freedom, for now.

“That’s how I got gored,� explains Dan Iversen, the 50-year-old organiser of today’s 2006 Road Runner Regional Rodeo, held outside Phoenix. “The animal just threw his head back and the horn went right into my groin area. I didn’t even feel it at first because I was experiencing such an adrenalin rush.�

Mr Iversen is also in charge of the pre-event rodeo school that we are watching.

This, of course, is no ordinary rodeo event. It is gay rodeo, in which most of the participants are homosexual men. As well as bull riding and “chute dogging� (wrestling a steer to the ground), gay rodeo also includes “goat dressing�, which involves putting frilly underwear on a goat, and a “royalty competition�, a drag contest.

Started more than two decades ago as a secretive annual gathering, often picketed by Christian right-wingers, the gay rodeo has grown into a national event with 225 contestants and 3,000 spectators.

This year’s event, sponsored by Bud Light beer and Southern Comfort, is likely to be bigger than ever, thanks to the success of Brokeback Mountain, a film about forbidden love between two Wyoming cowboys.

Nevertheless, not all Arizonans are pleased about the celebration of gay cowboy pride. “I have got nothing against them,� said one local woman, who did not want to be named. “But why does it have to be gay rodeo? Why not just rodeo?�

The answer, say the gay cowboys, is that being openly gay in the Wild West has historically been unacceptable, and potentially dangerous. They should know: most of them were raised on ranches from South Dakota to Iowa. As ranchers, the men grew up listening to country music and performing the same tasks that are turned into competitive sport in rodeo. They say they are not hijacking a macho American institution to make a political statement — they are simply being themselves.

“When we first started the rodeo, we used to hide and not tell anyone,� says Gary Hatterman, the 53-year-old president of the Arizona Gay Rodeo Association. Chuck Browning, 43, is a genuine gay cowboy from Wyoming. With his leather complexion, sun-bleached beard and huge gold belt buckle, he looks more cowboy than gay. The buckle is a prize from one of his many rodeo wins.

“I’ve split my head open ten times, I’ve got two metal plates in my arm, and I broke my ankle,� reveals Mr Browning. Behind him is parked an ambulance, ready to carry any rodeo participants to hospital.

There are still those who object to the gay cowboy lifestyle. “We still get protesters every year,� concedes Mr Inversen, with obvious disappointment.

“But they’re mainly gay people protesting against the inhumane treatment of animals.�

==============================================

I doubt we will hear much from Germanstar Ron this weekend,well maybe the odd 'yeehaaa'

[:D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:49 AM
GMISBEST.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
RE: Shot up the sheriff?

but I did not shoot the deputy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Is this about Eric Clapton?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I watched a documentary about this a while back. The girls were scary.[:o]

Quote:
deathrattle - 1/14/2006 8:46 AM
“I’ve split my head open ten times, I’ve got two metal plates in my arm, and I broke my ankle,� reveals Mr Browning. Behind him is parked an ambulance, ready to carry any rodeo participants to hospital.
Hey DR--don't you have some metal bit and bobs too?[;)][:D]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I have some metal bobs,but my bits are all me baby![;)]

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

Quote:
They say they are not hijacking a macho American institution to make a political statement — they are simply being themselves.
i say they are being themselves by hijacking a macho american institution. its the least likable trait of the gays, to take something great and wonderful, steeped in tradition, and slap some spandex, sequins and a rainbow on it and call it their own.

we kind of love them for it, dont we?

without them, we wouldnt have that one really girly blond guy from the makeover show for straight people, bad sitcoms that are finally about to end or chastity bono as a celebrity.

we'd also have no subaru motor company.

but what i am most thankful to the gays for poineering is the ManPurseâ„¢. without it, my shine control powder, chap stick, nail file, game boy, ipod, ibook, car keys, wallet, pez dispenser, textbook, bottle of water and my sneak-a-toke would have nowhere to go besides one of those ugly jansport backpacks with a suede bottom on it.

from the bottom of my heart--

thank you gay people, thank you very much.

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
iNeon - 1/14/2006 11:57 AM

Quote:
They say they are not hijacking a macho American institution to make a political statement — they are simply being themselves.
i say they are being themselves by hijacking a macho american institution. its the least likable trait of the gays, to take something great and wonderful, steeped in tradition, and slap some spandex, sequins and a rainbow on it and call it their own.

without them, we wouldnt have that one really girly blond guy from the makeover show for straight people, bad sitcoms that are finally about to end or chastity bono as a celebrity.

but what i am most thankful to the gays for poineering is the ManPurseâ„¢. without it, my shine control powder, chap stick, nail file, game boy, ipod, ibook, car keys, wallet, pez dispenser, textbook, bottle of water and my sneak-a-toke would have nowhere to go besides one of those ugly jansport backpacks with a suede bottom on it.

Nothing good can be said about any rodeo. Just a bunch of hicks (whether they are straight or gay hicks I could care less).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:06 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
430 - 1/14/2006 3:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing good can be said about any rodeo. Just a bunch of hicks (whether they are straight or gay hicks I could care less).
You haven't lived until you got piss drunk at a Mexican rodeo and considered getting in the ring with the rest of the drunken fools.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:44 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Quote:
430 - 1/14/2006 3:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No suprise here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in