This just in... Sources: Airstrike may have killed bin Laden's No. 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2006 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This just in... Sources: Airstrike may have killed bin Laden's No. 2

(CNN) -- A CIA airstrike on a building in Pakistan may have killed Osama bin Laden's most-trusted aide, sources said.

The building where Ayman al-Zawahiri was thought to be is in Damadola, a small village near the Afghan border.

There has been no confirmation that al-Zawahiri, 54, was killed in the attack Friday. However, sources say there was intelligence suggesting he was in the building at the time of the strike. (Watch how al-Zawahiri was targeted -- 5:39)

Pakistani officials were at the scene of the strike, trying to determine if Al-Zawahiri was killed.

Pakistan's information minister could not confirm al-Zawahiri was the target of a CIA strike, and both the Pentagon and White House declined to comment Friday night.

A doctor in the area told The Associated Press that at least 17 people were killed in the attack, but other witnesses at the scene said the death toll was higher.

Just last week, the Arabic-language news network Al-Jazeera aired a videotape in which the al Qaeda operative called on President Bush to concede defeat in Iraq.

It was al-Zawahiri's fifth message released over the past year, including ones claiming responsibility for the July attacks on the transit system in London, England.

The U.S. government is offering up to $25 million for information leading to the capture of al-Zawahiri, an Egyptian doctor who is considered to be the intellectual and ideological driving force behind al Qaeda.

He has been associated with bin Laden since at least 1987, when they met in Pakistan. He also is believed to be bin Laden's personal physician.

In 1998, al-Zawahiri merged his own Islamic militant group, Egyptian Islamic Jihad, into bin Laden's organization.

Three months after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, U.S. forces attacked al-Zawahiri's residence in Afghanistan, killing his wife and children.

In March 2004, Pakistani troops launched an assault in Waziristan province, where intelligence indicated al-Zawahiri was hiding, but he was not captured.

Thanks, D.

2006 ML 350 - Black, Appearance Package, Navigation System, Entertainment Package, Sunroof Package, Heated Seats, IPod Integration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:47 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: This just in... Sources: Airstrike may have killed bin Laden's No. 2

This just in... Sources: Airstrike may have killed bin Laden's No. 2

Oh, whew! I thought we wasted a billion dollar smart bomb to kill his poo.

post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Those awful Americans have killed another freedom fighter.

Well, maybe not a freedom fighter. they don't really care much for freedom.

Those awful Americans have killed another peace lover.

Well, maybe not a peace lover, this guy's club is busy trying to murder anybody who embraces modernity.

Those awful Americans have killed a man who protected family values.

Yeah, as long as women stayed uneducated and birthed lots of babies and wear a blue bag of chastity, he protected them. The rest he thought should be whipped or killed.

Bot
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

This guy is the heart and soul of Al Qaeda, with Bin Laden as his financier. This would be a big blow...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 1/13/2006 7:48 PM

Well, maybe not a peace lover, this guy's club is busy trying to murder anybody who embraces modernity.

Yeah, as long as women stayed uneducated and birthed lots of babies and wear a blue bag of chastity, he protected them. The rest he thought should be whipped or killed.

Bot
You have my condolances -- well not really.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:53 PM
GMISBEST.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 1/13/2006 9:48 PM

Bot
What you are not happy? man, I hate wimps.
I say lets get everyone of them and nuke them to Val Hala or whatever they believe. Why do we pay taxes anyway? I want to see some firework and some cool killing pictures on CNN, bring it on baby.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:17 AM
GMISBEST.

Now what? we missed again even inside of Pakistan and maybe with their help? I mean I appreciate Pakistan letting us bomb their villages well inside their borders but they got to lead us to the right people. Oh, well another practice run. I think we should nuke the Pakis just to be sure that they are not harboring bad people, but then again who needs the Pakis they are muslims too.

BBC NEWS
Zawahiri 'not hit by US missile'
The deputy leader of al-Qaeda was not in a Pakistani village near the Afghan border which was hit in an apparent missile attack, Pakistan officials say.

The unnamed officials said the attack - in which at least 18 people were killed - was based on "false information".

Quoting intelligence sources, US media said it was a CIA raid. The US military says it is not aware of any operations taking place in the Bajaur tribal area.

Pakistan's information minister condemned the attack.

Sheikh Rashid Ahmed told a news conference the US ambassador would be summoned to explain.

The Pakistani government wanted "to assure the people we will not allow such incidents to reoccur", Mr Ahmed said.

He said he did not know whether Zawahiri had been in the area at the time.

Zawahiri has eluded capture since the US overthrew the Taleban in Afghanistan in 2001 despite a $25m bounty on his head.

Osama Bin Laden's second-in-command is regarded as the ideological brains behind the al-Qaeda network, says BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera.

The Egyptian has also become its most visible spokesperson, issuing a number of video and audio tapes, whilst Osama Bin Laden has not been seen or heard from for more than a year.

Anger

The raid took place in the village of Damadola in the Bajaur tribal area, about 7km (4.5 miles) from the Afghan border.

Locals earlier claimed the missiles were launched from neighbouring Afghanistan in the early hours of Friday, but officials there deny it.

Jets - or in some accounts a Predator drone - reportedly fired missiles at a particular housing compound in the village.

Some accounts say foreigners were killed in the attack, and their bodies removed.

Tribesmen there are convinced the strike was the work of the Americans and are very angry at the attack.

Reporters who reached Damadola spoke of three houses hundreds of metres apart that had been destroyed.

Shah Zaman said he lost two of his sons and a daughter. "I ran out and saw planes. I ran toward a nearby mountain with my wife. When we were running we heard three more explosions. I saw my home being hit.

"I don't know who carried out this attack and why. We were needlessly attacked. We are law-abiding people."

A Pakistani intelligence official told Reuters news agency that Damadola was the stronghold of a banned pro-Taleban group, the Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi.

The US has about 20,000 troops in Afghanistan, but Pakistan does not allow them to operate across the border.

Pakistan has about 70,000 troops in the border region.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/south_asia/4612400.stm

Published: 2006/01/14 13:59:04 GMT

© BBC MMVI
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

A long time ago I knew a man who was educated to be extremely violent as needs arose. After he left military service he went to university and got a graduate degree in chemistry from Tulane Univ. He now runs a lab for an oil company. Despite all of his education, he kept himself trained-up and when I knew him well, he telegraphed a certain, 'don't f**k with me' that I think some people catch and others don't. Well, one night over a dinner and a glass of wine he told me a story of walking down Esplanade late one evening and being confronted by a small group of teenagers who demanded money from him. M'boy commenced to open a major can of whupass on the lot of them, breaking fingers and toes and gouging eyes. Some witness called the police who showed-up PDQ, but not before Mr Chemistry Major had done his thing. He said what amused him was two things, "One of the kids said, 'Hey man, why don't you leave us alone?' And when the cops showed-up the kids said m'boy attacked them.

So when I hear a witness say something like, "That guy? Nah, he never comes around here anymore." Or "No, I don't know that man." Or "We weren't doing anything and they blew-up my house," well call me a cynic, but I have an itty-bitty suspicion that the entire truth ain't being spoken.

B
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It would be refreshing if we actually killed one of our real enemies for a change. I know it would take us away from our usual business of murdering Iraqi civilians, but hey, even murdering fascists need a diversion once and a while. Perhaps a little Party?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:49 AM
GMISBEST.

Quote:
Botnst - 1/14/2006 10:34 AM

A long time ago I knew a man who was educated to be extremely violent as needs arose. After he left military service he went to university and got a graduate degree in chemistry from Tulane Univ. He now runs a lab for an oil company. Despite all of his education, he kept himself trained-up and when I knew him well, he telegraphed a certain, 'don't f**k with me' that I think some people catch and others don't. Well, one night over a dinner and a glass of wine he told me a story of walking down Esplanade late one evening and being confronted by a small group of teenagers who demanded money from him. M'boy commenced to open a major can of whupass on the lot of them, breaking fingers and toes and gouging eyes. Some witness called the police who showed-up PDQ, but not before Mr Chemistry Major had done his thing. He said what amused him was two things, "One of the kids said, 'Hey man, why don't you leave us alone?' And when the cops showed-up the kids said m'boy attacked them.

So when I hear a witness say something like, "That guy? Nah, he never comes around here anymore." Or "No, I don't know that man." Or "We weren't doing anything and they blew-up my house," well call me a cynic, but I have an itty-bitty suspicion that the entire truth ain't being spoken.

B
I am with ya there. Our boyz at the CIA know what's going on and I bet ya we did get some bad guys but they were hiding in women clothing. You see they can't fight like men and those Pakis are not really helping us. If they were sincere then they should put those terrorists in the village's center square before the bombing so we can get them with minimum collateral. But if we miss anyway, they should not get angry like they did with this episode because we are right and they are wrong. They should appreciate that we are bringing them freedom and the right to have purple fingers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in