Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Mysterious indeed, are the ways of The Lord

Quote:
Shane - 1/13/2006 12:54 PM

Quote:
430 - 1/13/2006 7:54 AM

Quote:
That Guy - 1/12/2006 3:39 PM
Based on projections I have heard SS will be funded until 2042 (in other words noone really knows) but its likely to last longer than 10 years. The plan proposed by Bush, as I understand it would limit the investment vehicles you could place your private accounts in. That would suck. If its my money, I should be able to invest it where I want.
Of course the plans are limited to how much money you can put where. It is a continuation of the 12% SS tax. The only difference is now you have some control over what is done with the money.

You do know that the Government currently limits what you can contribute to your 401k, IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, etc. They llimit not just the dollar amount that you can contribute but if you earn above a certain level your are further limited to what & how much you can contribute.

Honestly SS will not go bankrupt the Gov't will keep its promise. What will happen is things like 1) Retirement age raised so that you never get you anything out of SS 2) The gov't saying you either make too much money or have too much money in savings or 3) some other way to screw you out of what you have contributed.
One minute you are blasting those who do not go along with the USA's terror prevention battles (sic), then in another thread you are blasting our gov't for being corrupt and poorly led regarding money. A strange mix of trust and mistrust. You trust the gov't to manage a war but you do not trust them with your money. Since when are they mutually exclusive?
I have always accused the gov't of mismanagement & corruption as far as money is concerned.

As far as disagreeing with people who do not think it is necessary to kill tango's. Well consider it part the lesser of two evils and part an investment in R&D. I would much rather the military waste some money while building up and using weapons to kill our enemies that sit idley by waiting for an event to happen on US soil. Plus all the R&D the gov't does for the military is a good thing.

You are correct the two are not mutually exclusive. Hell if there is one thing the military is good at it is killing people and blowing things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Mysterious indeed, are the ways of The Lord

Quote:
smurfccoupe - 1/13/2006 9:34 AM

Quote:
430 - 1/12/2006 6:21 PM
Trillions in transitions costs? Look at the numbers a transition works with little or no new funds (besides what SS is already taking in).
I don't know where you read that one. With anything, there is a setup cost. Even a lemonade stand has to buy the silly sign, so I'm not sure how you think that you could do a complete overhaul of a MAJOR part of our gov't without additional funding. If you could explain that one or provide a link, I'd be amazed.

My opinion and yours on what SS really provides I guess are different. My view is that it's a safety net to provide minimal bennies for old coots, and that it's not a retirement investment system per se. So, I don't look at my "return", because I don't view it as an investment. Now, you can call that dumb, naive, or way too liberal of a view, but that's my take.
I am certainly not expecting anything from social security. But if we are not to expect anything lets at least be honest about it and call it a tax for the stupid & ill prepared.

Although personally I would prefer to change the system so I at least get something for all the money I have paid in over the course of a lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in