LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Person I would just like see go away this year

Admittedly, my opinion of Mr. McCain has dropped significantly as a result of his kowtowing to GW, particularly after the brown baby crap that may have led me to violence in his place. Still, I'd like to believe that his reconciliation (if that's what we want to call it) was done for what he believed was in the best interest of country. What non-partisan candidate would you like to see as POTUS?

No personal convitions?

A man who feels that laws should apply differently to him & his family vs. everyone else?

Please elaborate. McCain is a local kid, and I probably see and hear a lot more of him than most. I understand some of your points and concur to some extent, but don't understand these...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here are a couple of quick examples on McCain. I can provide more, I just don't currently have the time.

1) Just as an FYI an intveriew back in the 80's (I believe) with one of the cable industry magazines talked to McCain about running for Prez. His statement at the time was that he was too extreme and could not be elected. Somepoint after that he began to change his tune on a number of issues.

2) McCain gave a speech in San Francisco, declaring he would not repeal Roe v. Wade, and when an outcry from the right ensued, he quickly reversed his position. Asked (inappropriately) about his daughter, he wandered all about the town, saying first it would be his daughter's choice, then saying it would be a family decision. Neither answer seems to jibe real well with his claim to be pro-life.
__________________________________________________ ___The above is not to start any kind of debate or discussion about abortion. Everyone needs to realize that no matter what you say here you will not change the mind of someone on the other side of the debate. So save your breath.
__________________________________________________ ___

3) The Confederate Flag issue in South Carolina. McCain did not have the courage to take a stance during the primary. Personally I thought it should have been removed a long time ago:
Former GOP presidential candidate John McCain called for the removal of the Confederate battle flag from atop the South Carolina Statehouse on Wednesday, acknowledging that his refusal to take such a stance during his primary battle for the Palmetto State was a "sacrifice of principle for personal ambition."
By Jacob Weisberg | Posted Thursday, Jan. 13, 2000, at 10:26 AM PT - Slate.msn.com
"John McCain committed a classic one of these on Sunday, when he said on Face the Nation that the Confederate flag is "a symbol of racism and slavery" and that it "is offensive in many, many ways, as we all know." After stating these obvious truths, McCain spent the next couple of days "clarifying" his position: that the Confederate flag is not a symbol of racism or slavery but rather of "heritage" and that there's nothing offensive about it at all. What explains this rather extraordinary flip-flop?"

4) McCain said Bush was right not to meet with Sheehan, telling the Tucson Citizen, "If I was president of the United States, I probably wouldn't."

The same day, McCain told the Arizona Star that Sheehan "is probably being used" by anti-war groups.

Now:

Aides to Sen. John McCain have confirmed that the 2008 presidential hopeful will meet with anti-American war protester Cindy Sheehan, possibly later today.

These are just a couple of quick examples.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

I have no problem with your first two items. Forget the 80's -- too long ago to have any relevance, IMO. In regard to your fourth point, I also have no real issue. I agree that it would have been inappropriate for GW to meet with Ms. Sheehan, but I do not see why McCain shouldn't if he so desires -- apples and oranges.

The one point you raise that is disturbing is number three, if it's true. His subsequent comments in regard to the flag could have easily been taken out of context, I don't know... For example, he may have been softening his stance by not condemning the residents of SC, many of whom may not realize the profound racist implications, while remaining steadfast in his condemnation of the flag itself. Again, I really don't know...

Before drawing such harsh conclusions, I might suggest that you spend some time listening to the man (if you haven't), rather than relying on information that is second-hand at best. He's extremely accessible and extremely candid. In many ways, he actually reminds me of Reagan.

Again, if not McCain, what non-partisan would you like to see get the nod? I think we can agree that a true moderate from either party is what this country badly needs right now.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 04:45 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Naomilla2.0 - 12/31/2005 1:44 PM
Methinks you are thinking of Michael Jackson.
I dunno man, the guy looks all plasticky. Obama I mean. And what if he became president? We could have the Mother of All Wars between OBAMA and OSAMA.

A single keystroke away from total anilihation, or at least major confusion.

(Someone please help me spell annilihation? Is that it?)
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '86 190E 2.3L

Thats just "BS"(hint hint, the B and the S)

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
1986 190E 2.3L 135,000mi
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Many

Alito......
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
30-98 - 12/31/2005 6:24 PM

Alito......
Hey bud -- your name just came up at MS a few moments ago......

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
GermanStar - 12/31/2005 8:46 PM

Quote:
30-98 - 12/31/2005 6:24 PM

Alito......
Hey bud -- your name just came up at MS a few moments ago......
I wonder why......would it have something to do with an "offensive"image???????
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

It was JPK (or something to that effect) quizzing Hat about when your ban would be lifted. The response did not include the phrase "Urine!", as I recall. [:D]

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
GermanStar - 1/1/2006 9:59 AM

It was JPK (or something to that effect) quizzing Hat about when your ban would be lifted. The response did not include the phrase "Urine!", as I recall. [:D]
Ohhh! but Urine the inner circle still [:D]

I understood the Woodman banned me for 30 days,last I heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in