A priceless story for the holidays - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
A priceless story for the holidays

Here's a truly heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little 5 year old girl and some construction workers that makes you believe that we CAN make a difference when we give a child the gift of our time..

A young family moved into a house, next door to a vacant lot. One day a construction crew turned up to start building a house on the empty lot. The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers. Eventually the construction crew, all of them gems-in-the-rough,more or less adopted her as a kind of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.
At the end of the first week they even presented her with a pay envelope containing a couple of dollars.
The little girl took this home to her mother who said all the appropriate words of admiration and suggested that they take the two dollar "pay" she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account. When they got to the bank, the teller was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had come by her very own pay check at such a young age. The little girl proudly replied, "I worked last week with the crew building the house next door to us." My goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"
The little girl replied, "I will if those assholes at Home Depot ever deliver the fucking sheet rock..."

Kind of brings a tear to the eye.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:17 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
RE: A priceless story for the holidays

Thank you. After 13 years of dealing with construction crews, contractors, and illegal aliens, I must also add that despite the foul mouths they have more sensitive feelings than a bevy of corporate big wigs. Ever seen one cry? Really dispels stereotypes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 12/27/2005 12:49 PM

Here's a truly heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little 5 year old girl and some construction workers that makes you believe that we CAN make a difference when we give a child the gift of our time..

A young family moved into a house, next door to a vacant lot. One day a construction crew turned up to start building a house on the empty lot. The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers. Eventually the construction crew, all of them gems-in-the-rough,more or less adopted her as a kind of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.
At the end of the first week they even presented her with a pay envelope containing a couple of dollars.
The little girl took this home to her mother who said all the appropriate words of admiration and suggested that they take the two dollar "pay" she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account. When they got to the bank, the teller was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had come by her very own pay check at such a young age. The little girl proudly replied, "I worked last week with the crew building the house next door to us." My goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"
The little girl replied, "I will if those assholes at Home Depot ever deliver the fucking sheet rock..."

After hearing this her mother angrly said, Go get me a Switch!
and the little girl said Fuck that! that's the electricans job!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '87 300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 12/27/2005 12:49 PM

how cute .. lmao
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Shane - 12/27/2005 1:17 PM

Thank you. After 13 years of dealing with construction crews, contractors, and illegal aliens, I must also add that despite the foul mouths they have more sensitive feelings than a bevy of corporate big wigs. Ever seen one cry? Really dispels stereotypes.
I can't agree more. At my last job, I had better relationship with the crew at the site than my bosses in designer suits and eyewear who'd prefer to stay at the office. I traded in my oxfords and jackets for Timberlands and Carharts (my Carhart has become my prized possession, acquiring construction site patina such as paint and oil stains, burn marks (from both acid and arc welding), roofing tar, epoxy, etc).

The last project I worked on, I spent 80% of my time at the site and it was the one where 9/11 hit us hard. At the topping out ceremony (when the steel framing at the heighest point is put in place) the Spring after, saw several workers bawl as we dedicated the ceremony to the fallen heroes of 9/11. Since this was a job out in Long Island, it turns out there were quite a number of workers who lost their neighbors, acquaintances and relatives to the attacks as most of the law enforcement members who lost their lives in 9/11 took residence in Long Island.

One particularly fond memory from that job was when my 'designer' boss had issued a half-assed design detail that would have never worked and the sub came up with much more elegant solution. Before the job meeting with the sub, the general contractor and my boss, I coached the foreman of the sub to come up with two more bogus solutions and push for those two.

Well, what do you know, my Prada-junkie boss fell for it and agreed to go with the sub's solution.

I must say, I have nothing but contempt for those architects who prefer air conditioned offices and black designer outfits over job sites and who think the site is a dirty place with uneducated day laborers with foul mouths.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in