Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: SW USA

Quote:
GermanStar - 12/30/2005 8:18 PM

Quote:
mzsmbs - 12/30/2005 6:13 PM

i probably will do both, it and carlsbad since i don't know if i'll ever be out that way again.. the grand canyon of course too.. hoover dam and such while in the neighborhood..
You'll need to make reservations to visit Kartchner -- you can't just waltz in there. They severely restrict the number of visitors in the interest of preserving the cave.
ok, thanks for that info.. very important..

i don't know about tourism bureaus though.. once i asked wisconsin for some outdoor info and all i ever got was gobbles and gobbles of stuff on the touristy side of the Dells.. [xx(] but i will check out their sites and such..

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 12/30/2005 8:17 PM

Don't give anyone any shit in Taos either or you're liable to get beaten with a Rolex or Subzero refrigerator.
lol. rt 66 sounds interesting.. have to look into it's route and see where i can pick it up... don't want to drive up to Chicago to start..

in political asylum
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
mzsmbs - 12/30/2005 6:21 PM

ok, thanks for that info.. very important..

i don't know about tourism bureaus though.. once i asked wisconsin for some outdoor info and all i ever got was gobbles and gobbles of stuff on the touristy side of the Dells.. [xx(] but i will check out their sites and such..
The packet from Arizona will take your breath away. Big color magazine that discusses sights and sounds, accomodations, golf courses, national parks, natural wonders, historic wonders -- everything -- and it breaks it all down regionally. They also throw in a couple of top-quality maps.

If I recall, there is an online form to request the info at their Website.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

what would you recommend personally though? besides the cave

i will probably be visiting a buddy's bro in Flagstaff and possibly venture to Prescott (he maybe there at the time)

in political asylum
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Well, we gave you the cave (which is near Crash9), the canyon, and Winslow. Stick with that and maybe stop in on Phoenix/Scottsdale in between (you'll go right past) if you wanna look around. That should all take at least a week. If you want more, Showlow is nice, but it'll be about as cold as the canyon (possibly sub-zero through Feb). So is Sedona (touristy, tho), Prescott, and Jerome. Jerome is without a doubt, my favorite town in the state.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

i maybe in the area longer then a week.. especially if i blow off baja.. i think you have to have a passport to get back in (as of Jan1) and right now i don't feel like messing with that.. any good snow skiing in AZ?

in political asylum
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Many years (like last year) yes -- but not this year, at least yet. It's just been too warm and dry. Keep in touch with your buddy in Flag -- he'll know if that changes.

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:34 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
mzsmbs - 12/30/2005 7:22 PM

Quote:
ThrillKill - 12/30/2005 8:17 PM

Don't give anyone any shit in Taos either or you're liable to get beaten with a Rolex or Subzero refrigerator.
lol. rt 66 sounds interesting.. have to look into it's route and see where i can pick it up... don't want to drive up to Chicago to start..
Well Chicago is only symbolic as 66 actually no longer exists here (I believe it is now Congress Parkway) in fact a good portion of it is non-existent but the roads that have changed their names are marked by the route 66 signs. There are quite a few long stretches of it as you get further west and it takes you through some of the honky-tonk towns that are still replete with neon signs, Americana weirdness and funky old stores. Another cool thing is that it seemed everyone else on the road was doing the same as us, leisurely tooling along enjoying the sites, oblivious to the superhighway that ran within yards from us at some points. At some points you can still see the pink pavement that was synonymous with route 66. We took tents and slept in the desert near the Painted Desert. It was SO far from the noise inChicago.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post

If you want to check out a cave, pay a visit to Kartchner Caverns -- you'll never see anything like it in your life.
Quote:
OK -- check out Winslow, home of the Crater and the Petrified Forest. Seriously though, check out Kartchner Caverns, as well. Those other caves mentioned are tourist traps. Kartchner is the single most impressive living cave in the world that you'll ever get the opportunity to enter.
Quote:
Well, we gave you the cave (which is near Crash9), the canyon, and Winslow. Stick with that and maybe stop in on Phoenix/Scottsdale in between (you'll go right past) if you wanna look around. That should all take at least a week. If you want more, Showlow is nice, but it'll be about as cold as the canyon (possibly sub-zero through Feb). So is Sedona (touristy, tho), Prescott, and Jerome. Jerome is without a doubt, my favorite town in the state.
wow.. names in this thread i haven't seen in a while..

anyway, i'll be in AZ next month for 9 days. i'm definitely going to the canyon, sedona/f-staff, hiking Humphreys Peak, the crater and i kind of want to drive out to the monument valley. is the drive to Kartchner worth it if most of my plans are up north. however, my home base will be apache junction; you know, just on the other side of Bush highway. lol

oh and.. is there anything you shouldn't miss that has not been mentioned. thanks.

in political asylum
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs View Post
wow.. names in this thread i haven't seen in a while..

anyway, i'll be in AZ next month for 9 days. i'm definitely going to the canyon, sedona/f-staff, hiking Humphreys Peak, the crater and i kind of want to drive out to the monument valley. is the drive to Kartchner worth it if most of my plans are up north. however, my home base will be apache junction; you know, just on the other side of Bush highway. lol

oh and.. is there anything you shouldn't miss that has not been mentioned. thanks.
In the general area of Flagstaff, I would suggest that you skip Flagstaff itself, or at least plan on spending very little time there, since there's nothing much there to speak of, and plan a visit to Jerome and Prescott. Jerome is an amazing place, and the drive from there to Prescott is among the most scenic in the country. Prescott is also interesting with a rich history and Whiskey Row (the stomping grounds of Doc Holiday and Big Nose Kate for a couple years) to explore. I saw GW Bush and John McCain in Prescott one day, speaking from the Courthouse across the street from Whiskey Row.

The cave is a full day trip, with nothing else of interest in the area, though it's probably closer to Apache Junction than Flagstaff. It is also a trip you would have to plan and make advance reservations for (they only allow X number of people in per day).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in