Mexico will not allow US to build border wall. - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 04:03 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Mexico will not allow US to build border wall.

Shabah,
You have some knowledge of the immigrant problem. Yes, in Bel Air, we have few immigrants, however, my business carries me from central PS, to northern VA, so my exposure to them is greater than you would normally think.
At a previous job, I had a supervisor who was a displaced Jordanian. His family farm had been taken over by the Israeli occupation. His father refused the payment they were offered, feeling it was better to allow it to be stolen, than to put a veil of legitimacy over it. He cannot return to his homeland,as he is afraid he will be picked up for military service.
He is a great guy. I really miss working for him. He was kind-hearted and gentle, but highly emotional. He now laughs about an incident that happened a few years ago--He was asked to drive his supervisor to the airport for a flight. He naturally agreed, forgetting that he was dressed in camo overalls. His supervisor asked him to walk him to the gate,and again he agreed. Security was curious about this swarthy, fully bearded man of middle eastern appearnace in combat clothing walking thru the airport, and they "invited" him to join them for an interview. He agreed,forgetting, again, the knife he always carried in his boot. He says it was a bit tense, for a while, but he and his supervisor were able to convince everyone that he was not dangerous. He was relieved that they did not search his vehicle where they would have found his machette.
He is a devout Muslum. I had to learn not to admire any small possession of his, as he would offer to me, as a gift. Shabah, is that a cultural, or religious thing? How should one handle the offer, without wanting to offend, nor wanting to take stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Shaba, how does your country treat guest workers who are fellow Muslims? I have read about it and wonder about the stories' veracity.

Bot
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 12/23/2005 6:03 AM

Shabah,
You have some knowledge of the immigrant problem. Yes, in Bel Air, we have few immigrants, however, my business carries me from central PS, to northern VA, so my exposure to them is greater than you would normally think.
At a previous job, I had a supervisor who was a displaced Jordanian. His family farm had been taken over by the Israeli occupation. His father refused the payment they were offered, feeling it was better to allow it to be stolen, than to put a veil of legitimacy over it. He cannot return to his homeland,as he is afraid he will be picked up for military service.
He is a great guy. I really miss working for him. He was kind-hearted and gentle, but highly emotional. He now laughs about an incident that happened a few years ago--He was asked to drive his supervisor to the airport for a flight. He naturally agreed, forgetting that he was dressed in camo overalls. His supervisor asked him to walk him to the gate,and again he agreed. Security was curious about this swarthy, fully bearded man of middle eastern appearnace in combat clothing walking thru the airport, and they "invited" him to join them for an interview. He agreed,forgetting, again, the knife he always carried in his boot. He says it was a bit tense, for a while, but he and his supervisor were able to convince everyone that he was not dangerous. He was relieved that they did not search his vehicle where they would have found his machette.
He is a devout Muslum. I had to learn not to admire any small possession of his, as he would offer to me, as a gift. Shabah, is that a cultural, or religious thing? How should one handle the offer, without wanting to offend, nor wanting to take stuff?
It's cultural cross influenced by religion. Arabs were known for being generous before Islam. Islam made it mendatory and expended it to an emotional level. Believe it or not, if you are his neighbor for example, you will have priority over relatives(other than parents, siblings and kids) when it comes to gifts because it is important that you keep relations with neighbors that are positive. Now about giving, make sure that you can give him something in return but he will never ask for that, it's impolite. So don't be surprised that they want to give you something and never ask for anything, but it's implicit. Usually give back something of equal or greater value. Better yet, friendship is more important than trinkets, so sometimes just saying that you appreciate the friendship will mean a lot more than anything you can give them. Whenever you visit their household, make sure you bring with you some gift. A cake usually will do, pick something good because you will be eating it with them LOL... Never give money unless you are paying for a service, it's insulting. You can always give it as a loan (without interest, this is important) if they are in a bind. Of course you can always turn around and forgive the loan after they take it (that's what I do).
Shabah
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Botnst - 12/23/2005 9:58 AM

Shaba, how does your country treat guest workers who are fellow Muslims? I have read about it and wonder about the stories' veracity.

Bot
Good question, Bot. There are good and bad stories. Technically relgion should not be an issue but the problems you will find are actually economical. For example here in Saudi we have a big problem when it comes to the treatment of guest workers that come from poor countries. I have seen and heard many horror stories that would make my heart bleed. Just like some points I was making earlier, for example the Americans are treated like royalty while for example someoe from Bengladesh may end up treated as if he did not exist. This is a sad chapter in our history, I will admit. Not everyone however treat people with disrespect.
I persoanly like everyone around me, religion, race, country or any other background is not a factor, we all cry inside when we are hurt through insults and misstreatment. I have been there because I am not a native Arab but was adopted when I lost my father at an early age. The tribe I ended up belonging to treated me with full respect as if I was a native Arab. It was later when I was of age and went to work that others seeing me with blue eyes and blond hair did not really know what to make of me. It was an interesting way for me to learn and I don't regret it...
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to danwatt

Reading this thread made me realize that I'd rather be surronded by illegals rather than people like you guys. So now I'm all for open borders. If a terrorist gets across, some town in Texas is blown up. No big loss.

post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
danwatt - 12/23/2005 12:55 PM

Reading this thread made me realize that I'd rather be surronded by illegals rather than people like you guys. So now I'm all for open borders. If a terrorist gets across, some town in Texas is blown up. No big loss.
Dan, don't you have some paint striping to do on a Porsche???[:D]
How's business going? did you use your W126 as the Arts Mobile? I like your entrepreneurship!

Anyway, back to the subject, Yeah open borders does have its drawbacks but borders should never be closed based on "how you feel" about another group. There will always be bad guys inside or out so the question will be after you build a wall: Did I wall myself or did I wall them? Which side has become a prison?
Dan if anything gets blown up, it's a loss for everyone not just the US. Case in point look at what happened after 9-11. You lost some your freedoms while some others are surely eroding every time you give an inch to the junta. The only ones that can actually claim victory are the terrorists because they got you to give up what was dear to you: your identity. For them, their own death is the price to pay and besides they think they will be rapping some virgins up there, so what the heck!
The way to fight them is to stand your ground, respect what your forefathers set out and sacrificed for the generations to taste freedom and keep tyranny at bay.

post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:36 AM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:

Sure, that would be O.K. with you, because you don't live in Texas.
I think they just tried it in Cincinnati, Ohio.

post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
guage - 12/23/2005 1:36 PM

Quote:

Sure, that would be O.K. with you, because you don't live in Texas.
I think they just tried it in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Oh, so they actually bombed their own mosque guage??? or was it a hate crime??? Do tell since you know the details. Oh, please don't cut and paste because I already read the news, yes even Fox's version. So before you twist the events to fit your agenda, please give us a clear account of the events...
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
(Thread Starter)

Quote:

Don't expect it to be a town in Texas that is blown up. If/when they go after a city it will be NY NY (again), San Fran, LA, Chicago, DC, etc.

Nice attitude by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in