Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
RE: What is "morality"?

Botnst - 12/21/2005 11:15 PM

tcp_ML500 - 12/21/2005 11:53 PM

Botnst - 12/21/2005 5:34 PM
Wives, don't copulate with your deceased husband's brother (Leviticus, I think), is pretty darned hard to lawyer around.
Hey bot, you might have read this one incompletely.
If I had a brother, married, who dies childless, I would be commanded to procreate with his wife, and she with me, so that his name would not disappear from the tablets.

So the people of the new covenant would frown on my immorality, while I would be moraly obligated to do the bitch, as ugly as she might be.
I looked it up and you are exactly right. This is why I shouldn't answer questions about tanach.

Concerning the portion beginning with vesre 7, is being without a sandal implying that one has lost one's soul? (that's a pun)

5 If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband's brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her. 6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel.

7 However, if a man does not want to marry his brother's wife, she shall go to the elders at the town gate and say, "My husband's brother refuses to carry on his brother's name in Israel. He will not fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to me." 8 Then the elders of his town shall summon him and talk to him. If he persists in saying, "I do not want to marry her," 9 his brother's widow shall go up to him in the presence of the elders, take off one of his sandals, spit in his face and say, "This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother's family line." 10 That man's line shall be known in Israel as The Family of the Unsandaled.
I am honored that you would have taken the time to check on my inpulse. Thank you, friend!

“I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.”
-- Stephen Bishop
Sponsored Links
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What is "morality"?

Shabah - 12/21/2005 6:53 PM

GermanStar - 12/21/2005 6:49 PM

Botnst - 12/21/2005 4:34 PM

Another argument might be this: Those things which are not explicitly prohibited or reserved for God are reserved for the people. Kind of like the 9tha nd 10th Amendment.

The problem with a positive approach "Be kind" etc, is that being kind is not an exact thing. Wives, don't copulate with your deceased husband's brother (Leviticus, I think), is pretty darned hard to lawyer around. In comparison, "Don't do anything that might hurt somebody" is way too open-ended for a properly enforcable or teachable rule.

It is a completely different argument to opine that God has no business telling folks whom they should or should not copulate with. If there is an Abrahamic God as described by the People of the Book, then it's His universe, not yours, so He can take his football and play elsewhere.
But isn't that what morality is -- a code of ethics, so to speak? The 10 commandments lays down laws, and does not really address morality in the way that Eastern religion does, or the way that way that Jesus did. The OT basically limits its exploration to a quick "don't be a bunch of pig-f***ers", while the teachings of Jesus actually addresses morality. Sadly, much of his message is lost amid reams of BS and salesmanship. I guess my point is that I place much greater value on the 'do's of life than the 'don't's, and in that regard, Western religion pretty much misses the mark.
Hey GS, what's the name f that guru in your contry that made a religion around sex? I am sure he ste up some morality "standars", I am curious...
Bill Clinton you mean?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: