LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Be carful what you borrow from library

The real question is why are you reading the New Bedford newspaper???

The only people who read the Standard-Times are Portuguese fishermen and their families.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Roch207 - 12/19/2005 1:36 PM

The real question is why are you reading the New Bedford newspaper???

The only people who read the Standard-Times are Portuguese fishermen and their families.
I like fishing...
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:22 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Attached Images
File Type: gif 46_1710250_1219200522316PM.gif (49.7 KB, 19 views)
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
guage - 12/19/2005 2:22 PM
Bravo guage that was very instructional, I am impressed!
So, are you going to your neighborhood labary any time soon? I might be there reading cartoons or somethin, go ahead and report me before I become too smart for your safety......
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430

Quote:
Shabah - 12/18/2005 2:43 PM

Quote:
430 - 12/18/2005 1:50 PM

Quote:
mzsmbs - 12/18/2005 1:16 PM

Quote:
430 - 12/18/2005 12:54 PM

To answer your question. No. I do not think it is unAmerican to read up on or research sensitive or taboo topics.

No one should care if he reads the 'Little Red Book'. I could looking into the student if he fit this profile of theirs and had purchased something like the Anarchists Cookbook.
so one book is ok but not another?
I did not say that the book should not be published or banned. I simply stated I could understand looking into someone that fit a profile and was potentially in the process of acquiring the knowledge to execute the plans the profile shows they may try to enact. That does not mean that they should be arrested, tried, and put in prison.

Ok, let me put it to you this way, you know that I wear a turban and probably use camels as means of transportation. Frankly, I am tired of being left behind in the middle ages and I want to learn about new and upcoming nuclear technology so I can build a transporter to beam me up anywhere I want. Of course this means I will have to take physics, math and very advanced topics coupled with books that deal with the subject of nuclear energy and fission…
Do you 430 think that I should not go and do it because this is reserved for some people that you can trust? Do you think the mere fact that I even mention this or say open a book on this subject that I am automatically put in the line of sight of your almighty righteous arm of justice and provider of protection for the innocent and well behaved people…Do you think I should cease and decease and go back to my tent and be happy to eat my dates under my palm tree?
First of all I don't care if you wear a turban or what you do with your camels [:D]

Your question is not as simple as it may appear on the surface.

The short answer is that yes you should be allowed to pursue the knowledge without harrasement.

The long answer is it depends. Are you a citizen of the US? Are you a citizen of an allied country? What beliefs have you expresed in the past? If you have gone around shouting death to America or are a member of ELF. Then I am now a bit concerned about the knowdlege you are pursuing and what you may do with it. You may have peaceful intentions in mind or you may want to do great harm. I would then feel better if someone took the time to covertly investigate you. No reason to send someone to knock on your door this is too overt.
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
jjl - 12/18/2005 2:53 PM

Isn't this the 'profiling' issue? Do you think it right for police to look for suspects using prior information, or should they question random citizens?
I think profiling has gotten an unfair reputation due to some bad apples.

I think that profiling is a tool that should be used by law enforcement. For example there is no history of Grandmothers blowing up planes or buildings. On the other hand you have events such as Oklahoma City and the World Trade Center. So why are you checking out grandma? Quit wasting your time and be smart about how you spend you resources.
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
430 - 12/19/2005 5:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To answer your question. No. I do not think it is unAmerican to read up on or research sensitive or taboo topics.

No one should care if he reads the 'Little Red Book'. I could looking into the student if he fit this profile of theirs and had purchased something like the Anarchists Cookbook.
I did not say that the book should not be published or banned. I simply stated I could understand looking into someone that fit a profile and was potentially in the process of acquiring the knowledge to execute the plans the profile shows they may try to enact. That does not mean that they should be arrested, tried, and put in prison.

Ok, let me put it to you this way, you know that I wear a turban and probably use camels as means of transportation. Frankly, I am tired of being left behind in the middle ages and I want to learn about new and upcoming nuclear technology so I can build a transporter to beam me up anywhere I want. Of course this means I will have to take physics, math and very advanced topics coupled with books that deal with the subject of nuclear energy and fission…
Do you 430 think that I should not go and do it because this is reserved for some people that you can trust? Do you think the mere fact that I even mention this or say open a book on this subject that I am automatically put in the line of sight of your almighty righteous arm of justice and provider of protection for the innocent and well behaved people…Do you think I should cease and decease and go back to my tent and be happy to eat my dates under my palm tree?
First of all I don't care if you wear a turban or what you do with your camels [:D]

The short answer is that yes you should be allowed to pursue the knowledge without harrasement.

The long answer is it depends. Are you a citizen of the US? Are you a citizen of an allied country? What beliefs have you expresed in the past? If you have gone around shouting death to America or are a member of ELF. Then I am now a bit concerned about the knowdlege you are pursuing and what you may do with it. You may have peaceful intentions in mind or you may want to do great harm. I would then feel better if someone took the time to covertly investigate you. No reason to send someone to knock on your door this is too overt.
You know my opinions if you have been reading my posts... Do I sound like a follower of Ossama or some other murderer? I am clearly against the Iraq invasion but I supported the invasion of Afghanistan because it was more focused.
Now that I made that clear let get into the issue of freedom of knowledge acquisition: What happened to the kid when you told him not to dip into the cookie jar? Hey I warned you….
You see, the more you think you can control the more people want to prove that you got no control… It’s human nature!
Why do you think Iran is pursuing nuclear? Energy, my ass… They are doing it to spite you and in their twisted minds they think that they are balancing the Israeli equation when it comes to nuclear proliferation.
About being investigated, don’t fret I would not know where to start with anything related to physics or math… Of course talking shit may get me into trouble specially with that turban of mine….
[8D]
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Shabah - 12/19/2005 5:28 PM

Quote:
430 - 12/19/2005 5:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You know my opinions if you have been reading my posts... Do I sound like a follower of Ossama or some other murderer? I am clearly against the Iraq invasion but I supported the invasion of Afghanistan because it was more focused.
Now that I made that clear let get into the issue of freedom of knowledge acquisition: What happened to the kid when you told him not to dip into the cookie jar? Hey I warned you….
You see, the more you think you can control the more people want to prove that you got no control… It’s human nature!
Why do you think Iran is pursuing nuclear? Energy, my ass… They are doing it to spite you and in their twisted minds they think that they are balancing the Israeli equation when it comes to nuclear proliferation.
About being investigated, don’t fret I would not know where to start with anything related to physics or math… Of course talking shit may get me into trouble specially with that turban of mine….
[8D]
I used 'you' in the general sense. Not in the specific sense of Shabah.

Your argument about Iran pursuing nuclear to spite us does not hold water. They signed the NPT a number of years ago. In a number of ways things have not changed since they signed it. Except of course that the US stance against the Irainan regime has hardend and they have moved further to the extreme.

Personally of all the countries Iran concerns me the most. There is no telling what those wacos will do if/when they build the bomb.

post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
430 - 12/19/2005 6:02 PM

Quote:

[8D]

Your argument about Iran pursuing nuclear to spite us does not hold water. They signed the NPT a number of years ago. In a number of ways things have not changed since they signed it. Except of course that the US stance against the Irainan regime has hardend and they have moved further to the extreme.

Personally of all the countries Iran concerns me the most. There is no telling what those wacos will do if/when they build the bomb.
Why not? They surely are not going nuclear because they want more electricity or worse fly under the radar... They made it public and for them it is a matter of national pride.
Yes they worry me too. Personnaly I would like to see all atomic weapons dismantled and I mean all... But I know that I am being unrealistic...
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Shabah - 12/19/2005 6:07 PM

Quote:
430 - 12/19/2005 6:02 PM

Quote:

[8D]

Why not? They surely are not going nuclear because they want more electricity or worse fly under the radar... They made it public and for them it is a matter of national pride.
Yes they worry me too. Personnaly I would like to see all atomic weapons dismantled and I mean all... But I know that I am being unrealistic...
MAD worked for ~40 years. I do not think the dismantaling of all nuclear weapons is a good idea. With no nuclear weapons I think you actually increase the chance of armed conflict. Plus you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

I think Iran is doing it partly for national pride. Partly because they want the world to pay more attention to them and for them to have a greater say. Partly in an attempt to offset Isreal's weapons. Partly because they have seen the US military roll over Iraq twice and are concerned. Say what you want about the current situation in Iraq but think about it this way -- if the US had just rolled into Iraq killed and destroyed as much of the military as possible and got out. At the very least the gov. of Iran has to have this in the back of their mind. Not that I think we will invade them (at least not with more than enough troops for commando raids). The other reasons are a bit darker, blackmail, use against Isreal, use against the US or a US ally, or....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in