BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: job hunting and self loathing

Quote:
iNeon - 12/13/2005 8:13 AM

I am going nuts with this job hunt, y'all!

I've swapped schools (distance/fuel/cost issues) and have been hunting for a job to hopefully settle into before I get back to the big city for classes in January. There is only a moderate art market here in town and I am not yet qualified for most of the positions anyway, i've always been halfway dismissive of them.

They’re mostly computer design jobs--i've done this stuff for years and could just about do them with my eyes closed. Logo/signage type stuff I am guessing, maybe interior designesque as well.

Question being, how do I pretend I am qualified to do this work?

I’ve designed the logo for the Alabama Hate Crimes Center, the passport application for the Gay & Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands (but it never got used--boo!) I’ve also completed more than less of my academic training in the visual arts, a docentship at the local museum and have also been considered for a resident artist position with the local fag rag.

Naturally, I’ve made it sound like I am a little more qualified than I really am-- I am just an aspiring art student in reality.

How do I let these people know that I am serious about seeking a position I sort of hold in contempt. I really just want to work on my own personal work, but that’ll never pay my bills! I am ready to leave the nest and dare I say it--don’t want to fold sweaters to do it.

p.s.- I've also run this post through a spell/capitolization/grammar checker so I don't look as casual as I normally do.[:p]
If you're honest they'll know you think the job is beneath you and wont hire you. Why hire trouble? If your dishonest and they hire you then it wont be long before you start showing contempt for teh job and make everybody around unhappy with you.

Personally, I think your problem is the perception you have about a job. Any job is better than no job. Having no job is contemptible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bot is right on the mark.

If you can't stop holding in contempt positions you are currently seeking, then look harder for something else that you won't, regardless of the fact art market may be small where you are.

If there is no option, then accept what is being offered in the market as per your current level of qualification and stop being insincere -- it will help you see which employer is interested in making you grow and which ones care jack shit.

Also, people aren't stupid after all. Even if the interviewer is a total dork, chances are that he or she has seen 10 or will see 10 more applicants before or after you and will know who is being earnest and who is faking it.

I've a few friends who held the same perception as you do about any job they took. Naturally, their tenures lasted no longer than a year per stint. It was all inconsequential to them until one day they realized they were about to turn 40 and reflected upon what they had accomplished up to that point.

Think what you can do now to help yourself be where you want to be in 10 years, 20 years, and so on.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
(Thread Starter)

bot & nao--

i dont harbor a great deal of resentment toward these types of jobs, not as much as i used to. i just dont want to sell hamburgers or taiwanese clothing for a living; this is why i am thinking about graphic design work. i shant apologize for it.

its true i'd rather work for myself but lets be real-- a 20 year old artist surely isnt going to get any loans or breaks in such a closed circle. let alone one that hasnt even completed his training!

ive the skills and talent to do this type of work and by posting here, was trying to see how the 'general public' would feel about the issue-

its about 50/50 now, isnt it?

i dont lie on my resumes and my references are solid. i just cant imagine whyever noone calls.

i did offer free art here-- noone wants a giclay painting made to order?[:p]

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Believe me, I am no judge of artistic talent. If you say you have talent then it's all to the good. If art is your passion and you have talent and you have luck, you might make it doing art of some sort.

You have the talent and desire, do you have the discipline and determination? You can have talent out the wazoo and people will notice even if you're flakey. Not all artists are equal and the chance of anybody being an artistic genius is just vanishingly small. Everybody else has to work their asses off.

B
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:

You have posted your works here and I am quite impressed by your ability to 'laugh at yourself' as opposed to taking oneself overly seriously as with the case with many at your stage of life, and your references are evidently solid.

So why no one calls?

In a whimsical and serendipitous job market, one employer's garbage is another employer's prized gain.

If there is a position that you do want above others, research it. See what kind of work the firm has put out in the past and see what sort of artistic 'style' the firm leans to. Who is the design director behind it and who ends up interviewing you. Tailor your portfolio for each interview to show that you are comfortable working within the particular firm's design parameters, but include also a few works that best characterize your personal expression.

You are marketing yourself. Successful businesses have tapped into the consumer needs by marketing research and extensive planning prior to setting out for production.

I apologize for the gross generalization here for the sake of making a point concise but one of the reasons the once mighty American auto industry is suffering right now was their inability to fathom the needs of the buyers after the Oil Crisis in the 70's -- the Big 3 just kept putting out big gas guzzling cars and expected the market to drive them.

"If I build it, they will come" attitude does not work in the job market arena. Hiring happens only when the need of the employer matches with that of an applicant, and the better the match, the more successful the job experience.

One can't help but take a cynical perspective of above -- yes, it's like being a whore -- but at the same time, cynicism will paradoxically help you gauge how willing you are to 'contort' yourself to the needs of the potential employers. Eventually, you will begin to see which design jobs are better fit than others.

Good luck.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First job is alway toughest !

1)if art is your background - make sure your resume contains a portfolio - I remember a story years ago about an artist you actually drew the stamp on the envelope an application was in & called notice to it - obviously since it got there it was good.

2) "junior job" can suck - but take it and start building the contacts. it is way too true that who you know will come back for you a long time after what you know dies. Build that network - check out linkedin.com

3) You are doing well with your volounteer art - now work it - network - references will come. And that stuff you can still do while doing "junior job" If you don't have personal business cards - get some - and while you are "shmoozing" in your volunteer affairs, think of each person you meet - can you help them ? now? in future?

4) resume - education yayaya - positions yada yada yada - use the power verbs, enabled, design etc etc. emphasise what you can do for them -

"I’ve designed the the logo for the Alabama Hate Crimes Center"

VS. "designed, developed and delivered the visually powerful / evocative / your words here / logo for the Alabama Hate Crimes Center"

Don't "pretend" to be qualified - your current qualifications are your current qualifications, eagerness, drive, works well with others, fresh ideas etc etc - you get the picture ......

good Luck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in