are convertibles fun? - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
RE: are convertibles fun?

Cut a targa top in your shlomo[:p]

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Nutz 4 Benz - 12/13/2005 6:22 PM

ive seriously thought about installing a canvas sunroof that would run the length of the roof, like an old benz/vw.

ive gone so far as to design a stained glass dual sunroof/coffered ceiling for it. i even included a chandalier an all, not that itll ever get made... i saw the maybach and really liked it.

asianml--

youre grasping at straws here, the benz isnt the only decent car on earth. a wind shield is the LAST thing anyone in a convertible is going to think about-- except maybe trophy wives with big hair that have just left the salon.

i dont think the freeway is anywhere to enjoy a good car anyway, let alone a touring car like im imagining id like!

twisty mountainous backroads at about 45mph, a nice 75 degree sunny day and a big fat blunt. i cant think of anything thatd be more fun besides a handsome tall boy[:p]

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
iNeon - 12/13/2005 7:34 PM

Quote:

ive seriously thought about installing a canvas sunroof that would run the length of the roof, like an old benz/vw.

ive gone so far as to design a stained glass dual sunroof/coffered ceiling for it. i even included a chandalier an all, not that itll ever get made... i saw the maybach and really liked it.

asianml--

youre grasping at straws here, the benz isnt the only decent car on earth. a wind shield is the LAST thing anyone in a convertible is going to think about-- except maybe trophy wives with big hair that have just left the salon.

i dont think the freeway is anywhere to enjoy a good car anyway, let alone a touring car like im imagining id like!

twisty mountainous backroads at about 45mph, a nice 75 degree sunny day and a big fat blunt. i cant think of anything thatd be more fun besides a handsome tall boy[:p]
I wasn't referring to MB at all. I just wasn't sure if they had those or came with those.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
iNeon - 12/13/2005 7:34 PM

Quote:

asianml--

I wasn't referring to MB at all. I just wasn't sure if they had those or came with those.

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
(Thread Starter)

its just a little net that clips on.

anyone with 20 dollars and any kind of mechanical/crafting prowess could build one in an hour and have it custom fit to their own car.[:p]

my concern now is rollover protection, im having little mini panic attacks thinking about flipping a car with just a winshield!

id still want an open casket anyway[}:)]

post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

iNeon, I know you're a Chrysler fan, but if you go with an old LeBaron convertible you'll know why they at one time were the butt of so many jokes. They were really heaps, and terrible handling, too. If you could have fun at 45 on a twisty mountain road in a regular car, you'd be wallowing all over it at 25 in a LeBaron convertible. Lots of cowl shake, they didn't stiffen up the unibody enough for the lopped roof, and no crash protection at all, much less in a rollover.

No response on the Saab suggestion, eh?
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
gregs210 - 12/13/2005 8:04 PM

iNeon, I know you're a Chrysler fan, but if you go with an old LeBaron convertible you'll know why they at one time were the butt of so many jokes. They were really heaps, and terrible handling, too. If you could have fun at 45 on a twisty mountain road in a regular car, you'd be wallowing all over it at 25 in a LeBaron convertible. Lots of cowl shake, they didn't stiffen up the unibody enough for the lopped roof, and no crash protection at all, much less in a rollover.

Saab is okay in my book (gmwhatever I never said this).

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
gregs210 - 12/13/2005 7:04 PM

i know nothing about saabs besides the fact that my mother had a customer in her late 30s that bought one(a little ugly red coupe) after she finished college and drove it until about 2003.

she only sold it because someone wrecked into her and they couldnt match the paint correctly[:p]

interior designers....sheesh

i like the looks of the volvo c70(?) but i know i cant afford even a beaten down one.

i am looking at a few more months on the vw project and then selling it off-- rebuilt everything, new paint, rubber and complete custom interior, i'm thinking 6500 will be a decent price to sell it at and wont be asking too much for it either.

so thats about what ill have to spend-- i was just thinking of grabbing one now for about a grand and parking it until the vw is done. i do know where i can get a 450slc for a grand with a blown engine. that'd be an ok introduction to the 107 chassis and would give me reason to fit a diesel in there-- i just dont know about such an expensive car so cheap.

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I can agree on the looks, the 900 sedan is pretty bland, but the droptop version is much nicer to look at. I almost bought one from a friend of mine (red convertible, tan leather interior) but I don't have the facilities to do some repairs it needed. It was a fun car to drive, though.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart

I have a Smart fortwo cabrio :-)

running it "topless" is a hoot ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in