LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:28 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Is there a fish doctor in the house?

Quote:
GermanStar - 12/12/2005 10:45 PM

Quote:
jjl - 12/11/2005 3:37 PM

Four years is a good age for a small fish - it could be just his time. I bred these fish many years ago (bubble nest - v. interesting), one of the things that inspired me to become a biologist. I've kept quite a few fish in my time - any other aquarists here? - great hobby - especially for you herbal enthusiasts, much better than tv or staring at the carpet.
I used to breed and ship a variety Tanganyikan Cichlids all over the country at one time. I had thirteen tanks and bred Tropheus, Lamprologus, Julidochromis, Telmatochromis, and Cyphotilapia, among others. It was well worth it when these guys were first introduced in the States and commanded high prices. Discus were always a personal favorite, as well...
Hey Ron that's very impressive, you must know your fish, those are Rift Valley cichlids, right? I never got around to keeping any because I thought the water chemsitry requirements difficult. Although having said that I kept discus for a few years in a large (300 gallon) tank. Lost a few - they do that 'you've upset me so now I'm starving myself to death and there is nothing you can do' routine. I started keeping fish when I was ten years old - santa left me a tank for christmas. That year he also left me a little microscope that I used to investigate the rotifers, protozoans and nematodes that colonised slides left in the water. I have five or six tanks (small 15-30 gall.) - now ready to set up (moved house a while back); wondering what species to go with - I went through a phase of breeding cichlids (nothing exotic - kribs and the like) and guppies (the sheer variety is fascinating). Not quite sure which species would be worthwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:31 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
iNeon - 12/12/2005 10:50 PM

i like a clownfish.

theyre so precious!

this is my friend krusty. hes a sweetie pie, even lets me 'pet' him![:D]
I've never kept marines - what kind of setup have you there - is it expensive or intensive maintenance?
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
GMISBEST - 12/11/2005 3:15 PM

my sisters goldfish got sick once we flushed it down the shitter.
Gave a sick one to the cat. Cat thought it was cool.

B
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

Quote:
jjl - 12/11/2005 7:31 PM

Quote:
iNeon - 12/12/2005 10:50 PM

i like a clownfish.

theyre so precious!

this is my friend krusty. hes a sweetie pie, even lets me 'pet' him![:D]
I've never kept marines - what kind of setup have you there - is it expensive or intensive maintenance?
not expensive at all. although i am not positive that he is being kept as well as he should be!

i have simple setups-

4 10 gallon tanks. one with a soft bottom, planted tank, one open top guppy tank(wasabi, my cats water/treat bowl) one closed top guppy tank, one of them is krustys home.

i have a 55 gallon tank with a really mean 8" jack dempsey cichlid that i am thinking of euthanizing. he is evil, kills his tankmates, chases the ones he cant catch/kill and just generally isnt a nice fish. he sure is pretty, though!

the salt tank cost about 100 to start up, with a backpack filter a little larger than it needs, a pound of live rock, a bunch of dead rock(that turns live after about 3 months) live sand and a hood/light

krusty is about 4 years old now and was ocean caught, he is the reason i tried to keep the bangai cardinals. very hardy fish!

once when i was on vacation, my cat unhooked the filter for a week!!

i came home to a dead coral banded shrimp, two dead damsels and krusty just swimming away. he really is my buddy, ill mourn this lil guy when he passes!

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

JUST SCOOP THE SUKERS OUT THE TANK AND THEN GET A GM TRUCK AND DRIVE IT TO YOUR NEAREST SHITTER LIKE A FUNERAL AND FLUSH.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
jjl - 12/11/2005 6:28 PM

Hey Ron that's very impressive, you must know your fish, those are Rift Valley cichlids, right? I never got around to keeping any because I thought the water chemsitry requirements difficult. Although having said that I kept discus for a few years in a large (300 gallon) tank. Lost a few - they do that 'you've upset me so now I'm starving myself to death and there is nothing you can do' routine. I started keeping fish when I was ten years old - santa left me a tank for christmas. That year he also left me a little microscope that I used to investigate the rotifers, protozoans and nematodes that colonised slides left in the water. I have five or six tanks (small 15-30 gall.) - now ready to set up (moved house a while back); wondering what species to go with - I went through a phase of breeding cichlids (nothing exotic - kribs and the like) and guppies (the sheer variety is fascinating). Not quite sure which species would be worthwhile.
I've been out of the game for a while now, but I've always been drawn to Cichlids and suitable tankmates, but they do require a certain amount of attention. Lamprologines are pretty demanding about water conditions as you say, even more so that the Haplochromines of Lake Malawi, which I found less interesting due to a lack of behavioral diversity, and extreme ease of breeding.

The problem you describe with Discus is one of acclimatization in my experience. Once they're established and have done a little growing, I've found them to be quite hardy, and almost shockingly bright and curious. Discus are the only fish I've ever had that have actually watched television, for example, and for long stretches of time. I've also always had a soft spot for certain oddballs, such as Datnioides, Morulius, Belonosox, snakeheads, spiny eels (also very bright and curious once they're comfortable) and the like.

If I might make a suggestion, try devoting a 20 gal to a pair of Julidochromis (small, very attractive Tanganyikans). These guys will set up shop and create an extended cooperative family that's fascinating to watch.

BTW, I had a similar microscope thing going, and became particularly interested in Nematodes for a while.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:00 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

iNeon, great stuff, that's quite a mixture you have there. The Jack Dempsey's are, well, pugnacious by nature, you really ought to rescue his tankmates or give him to someone else, or even replace him with something similar but more peaceful (Cichlasoma severum, banded cihclids, are nice). I'm going to do a little research into marine setups and see how much extra equipment I would need for a beginner's tank beyong the eheim canister filter and strip lights I have already.
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
GermanStar - 12/12/2005 1:57 AM

I've been out of the game for a while now, but I've always been drawn to Cichlids and suitable tankmates, but they do require a certain amount of attention. Lamprologines are pretty demanding about water conditions as you say, even more so that the Haplochromines of Lake Malawi, which I found less interesting due to a lack of behavioral diversity, and extreme ease of breeding.

The problem you describe with Discus is one of acclimatization in my experience. Once they're established and have done a little growing, I've found them to be quite hardy, and almost shockingly bright and curious. Discus are the only fish I've ever had that have actually watched television, for example, and for long stretches of time. I've also always had a soft spot for certain oddballs, such as Datnioides, Morulius, Belonosox, snakeheads, spiny eels (also very bright and curious once they're comfortable) and the like.

If I might make a suggestion, try devoting a 20 gal to a pair of Julidochromis (small, very attractive Tanganyikans). These guys will set up shop and create an extended cooperative family that's fascinating to watch.

BTW, I had a similar microscope thing going, and became particularly interested in Nematodes for a while.
Julidochromis, eh? I'll investigate, that sounds suitable for one tank anyway. Thanks. On the subject of Discus, yes, I really enjoyed keeping them and the ones I lost were usually recent introductions; I made the beginners mistake of buying fish too old rather than 'tiddlers' too. You've got me thinking about Discus again now.

That's interesting that you got into nematodes; I understand that this is a valuable skill (IDing the buggers) these days particularly in soil ecology, though much of the work is now horribly molecular - squish 'em up, extract DNA, amplify, run gels, etc. Not my thing at all.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

jjl--

you ought to only need a heater and tank.

my salt tank doesnt even have a heater! just a backpack filter, about 10 pounds of live rock, half a bad of live sand a few hermit crabs and a clown fish=)

and a light so i can see them=)

ive become very lax in my tank maintenence of late, i swap filter carts and add water to them, but ive found my fish MUCH happier since i stopped fussing with them!

i think i want to shut the entire 55 down for a while, it has a pair of dempsies, a firemouth, two giant danios and a medium size pleco in it and its just filthy in the gravel. i live in a cave(my parents basement-- hows that to conjure up images of me, huh?) that has no water access and so i have to fill up a 5 gallon cubie in the bathtub and bring it down here, no way to run one of those luxurious faucet powered gravel vacuums down here or i would be on it so very quickly.

ive had a lot of luck with my aquaria and as you can see, got a little compulsive about it! such is life, i suppose!

a 20 long would be beautiful with some clowns and damsels in it for your first salt tank, you surely have the experience to make it successful!

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:39 PM
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
iNeon - 12/12/2005 2:20 AM

jjl--

you ought to only need a heater and tank.

my salt tank doesnt even have a heater! just a backpack filter, about 10 pounds of live rock, half a bad of live sand a few hermit crabs and a clown fish=)

and a light so i can see them=)

ive become very lax in my tank maintenence of late, i swap filter carts and add water to them, but ive found my fish MUCH happier since i stopped fussing with them!

i think i want to shut the entire 55 down for a while, it has a pair of dempsies, a firemouth, two giant danios and a medium size pleco in it and its just filthy in the gravel. i live in a cave(my parents basement-- hows that to conjure up images of me, huh?) that has no water access and so i have to fill up a 5 gallon cubie in the bathtub and bring it down here, no way to run one of those luxurious faucet powered gravel vacuums down here or i would be on it so very quickly.

ive had a lot of luck with my aquaria and as you can see, got a little compulsive about it! such is life, i suppose!

a 20 long would be beautiful with some clowns and damsels in it for your first salt tank, you surely have the experience to make it successful!
I didn't realise it could be that easy - I had visions of yards of plumbing, UV filters, ozone generators etc (and cancel that MB engine rebuild)- I'm probably a victim of the equipment manufacturers' advertising. If I went with a 48 x 15 x 12 inch tank, with some reasonable filtration (canister filter) and a couple of strip lights, would that support (once matured a while) two or three clowns? How would you start it off - live rock, leave a while, one clown, leave a while, another clown, leave while? I would probably need a heater in this climate too (room temp drops to say 50 F occasionally).

BTW your basement sounds like me as a teenager - four aquariums and a miniature avairy (a mere six feet square) full of zebra finches in my bedroom. I also had some snakes in there - my sisters loved me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in