Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Look how much came out!!

Quote:
ThrillKill - 12/11/2005 11:53 AM

From a bodywash bottle

Jeez! Foul minded cretins the lot of you! I don't know why I even try to discuss personal hygiene with you people. Hrumpf![:(!]
Speaking of hygiene, the grout needs serious scrubbing. Who knows what substances/activities caused grout lines to turn into such colors... I bet they were once sparkling white. [xx(]

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Naomilla2.0 - 12/12/2005 9:24 AM

Speaking of hygiene, the grout needs serious scrubbing. Who knows what substances/activities caused grout lines to turn into such colors... I bet they were once sparkling white. [xx(]

HAH! I was waiting for that comment. I had that bathroom put in the basement for myself after years of getting up at 4:30 am to go to work and waking up the household with my various pre-dawn bodily noises.
My wife picked out the grout and it was supposed to be sandlewood but with the halogen lighting appeared PINK! I scraped as much as I could out and redid it with that color but as you can see, I did a half ass job. The grout would not stay in the joints and so I packed a little too much in. Shameful. You've inspired me to redo it.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

^^^^

If you are going to regrout once again, I suggest that you might as well rip out everything including the substrate.

Regrouting is good only for cosmetic reasons and detrimental to the watertightness of shower wall. Grout, like concrete, cures from a process called hydration. Once the process is complete, it will never be reinvoked. What that means is that there is no substantial bond between the original grout and the grout that you packed in. There will not be adequate bond between the tiles and new grout either since any porous part of tiles have absorbed the original grout. Any additional attempt to scrape out the grout and repack will yield the same result. Meanwhile, daily use of shower would have pushed the water through these weak links further, eventually through sublayer (cementboard, if you are lucky) and in absence of vapor barrier (as in most cases I have encountered), it will reach all the way to framing and create all kinds of unsavoriness.

In reconstructing the wall, be sure to install the following in order from inside to out:

1. Insulation - to muffle your bodily noises (whatever they may be), and if the wall is along the foundation wall, to act as thermal insulation. Stuff between the wall frame.

2. Vapor barrier - 6 mil polyethylene sheet or a very sturdy garbage bag cut to made into a flat sheet. Staple to framing

3. Substrate - 1/2" Cementboard (I do not recommend greenboard, which is a gypsum product). I like Hardibacker.

4. Finish material - tile, or better yet, monolithic sheets of Corian. Remember, less the joints, less the chances of water making its way in.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in