post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Does any one have FasTrak (SoCal)?

Form coming January, I have to make a round trip from Costa Mesa to San Bernardino twice a week. It’s about 60 ~ 70 miles one way, and I will be cruising on 55, 91 & 215.
I am planning to get FasTrak , so I can access some of HOV lane on 91.

I’ve already searched the website, but still I have two questions.
1. Can I buy only one tranponder or whatever and share with another vehicle? I have two vehicles.
2. Does a vehicle have to be registered in California? One of my car registered in another state.

Thank you in advance.
Sry, if anybody is irrelevant with this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
RE: Does any one have FasTrak (SoCal)?

Hi, BD.

Fastrak is the same whether you're in NoCal or SoCal. I have one for the bridges up here and when I was down there it worked fine on 91. YaHOOO!!.

You can lease just one unit, but if you commonly will be switching cars I'd strongly suggest you get two units. If you forget to swap it once and have to sit in those damnable toll lanes you'll be kicking yourself and there's no reason to do that. They don't charge you, they only make you put like $30 or $40 on the unit, so it doesn't cost you anything other than the funds you have on account for the unit.

That said if you only rarely will use one other vehicle and can be diligent about remembering it, when you sign up just give them both License numbers and you'll be okay.

As far as a vehicle registered in another state, I'm not sure on their guidelines for that. Did you look through their FAQs? I think it's 511.org (or there's a link to fastrak from 511.org). I know it's okay to occasionally use one in an out of state car, but if it's registered to you in another state I don't even think I'd try. The fines and penalties for that are too much to take and CalDMV doesn't fool around with that, either. And I know the CHP sometimes looks for anything out of the ordinary going through the fastrak lanes, and I'd think out of state plates might raise an eyebrow, particularly if it's a slow shift. [;)]

Take care and enjoy the fastrak ride,
Greg
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST

Here's a link to the application .pdf file:

http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static/forms/docs/application.pdf

If you look at the section where it asks you to describe your car(s), in addition to year, make, model, color, and license number, it also asks you what state your plates are from.

So it looks to me like it's okay to register an out-of-state vehicle with the FasTrak system.

Scott
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hey, BD. It's not as though I thought Fastrak would be sharing that info with law enforcement, but if you get stopped and they see the foreign registration is in your name and it matches the name on your Cali driver's license (which you've had for some time), then I believe their authority can include impounding your car. At the very least they can hit you with a nasty ticket and the penalties for failure to register timely are very steep. Not that I'd encourage anyone to skirt the law, but you could straw man the car to someone that lives out of state, then you're just driving "a friends car". [;)]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 03 ML500, 94 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Its is worth getting, since the penalties for driving in the HOV lane without the fastrack is $20 fine I think. I did drive in the HOV lane and I got a ticket for it. I was in a rush. They got the pic of my plate and also I think the driver face which is me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in