Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Islamist in Bangladesh

Doesn't everybody just love Sharia?

Bot

JMB's den

The nation is deeply anguished

The nation is witnessing horrifying and mind-boggling incidents in quick succession. It is disturbing to learn about the unearthing of yet another bomb-making hideaway of the Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh or JMB in Nilphamari along with a huge quantity of explosives, bomb making components and gunpowder on Wednesday last. The hideout was believed to be used as the main operation centre of the northern zone of the country from where JMB supremo Shaikh Abdur Rahman's son-in-law and top commander of the outlawed group operated.

As we shudder to know, the JMB cadres are out to challenge the existing century - and time-tested old judicial system by calling it an impediment to Islamic rule and are resorting to terror tactics by exploding bombs in selected district courts. Through bomb blasts in three district courts on October 3 killing two and injuring dozens, these misguided people have in effect challenged the judicial system with the pernicious motive of obstructing dispensation of justice. District and Metropolitan judges of the three districts where the terrors struck are suffering from a sense of insecurity and have asked for security cover.

The whole nation is deeply anguished over the attacks on courts. The nation is passing through a crisis situation and eternal vigilance is the crying need of the hour. The perpetrators of bomb blasts in courts and outside must be nabbed and brought to justice. The proverbial long arm of the law should be able to catch them sooner rather than later, in the interest of national security and public safety.

Zealots are ignorant
It is a truism that the so-called 'zihadi' terrorist activities as also an umpteen number of bomb attacks on courts and other institutions will not yield pressure of any meaningful consequence, neither on the body politic nor the government which is overwhelmingly secular, albeit religious, god-fearing and pious - a vital fact the zealots are ignorant about. The fanatic group and its operatives are estranging themselves and antagonising the general masses who do not have any special fascination for their doctrine of God's laws because; one, the Prophet of Islam himself abhorred any shade of extremism in so far as religion is concerned - the Apostle has always preferred tolerance and peaceful coexistence of different communities. What is most crucial now is to find out the masterminds and detect the financial sources which requires a multi-pronged attack of the intelligence agencies, both civil and military, because unless the sources of the evil forces are completely crushed the country's secular image will be smeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Islamist in Bangladesh

Good article Bot. You know if I was an ignorant bastard I would have called you a racist and would have asked everyone to move on and that there was nothing to see here. But you know what, this article is an example of what is wrong with Muslim society and there is no escaping it but fighting these thugs that think they can instill their laws...
The only problem I have is your introduction: Doesn't everybody just love Sharia? Let me clarify, these people are not going to put Sharia in place, they don't even understand it. Bot we are talking about a bunch of brain whashed ignorant terrorists. So the Sharia did not incite them to kill, maim and burn courts, these were actions taken by peole that deserve a Sharia applied on them...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Shabah - 11/25/2005 9:54 AM

Good article Bot. You know if I was an ignorant bastard I would have called you a racist and would have asked everyone to move on and that there was nothing to see here. But you know what, this article is an example of what is wrong with Muslim society and there is no escaping it but fighting these thugs that think they can instill their laws...
The only problem I have is your introduction: Doesn't everybody just love Sharia? Let me clarify, these people are not going to put Sharia in place, they don't even understand it. Bot we are talking about a bunch of brain whashed ignorant terrorists. So the Sharia did not incite them to kill, maim and burn courts, these were actions taken by peole that deserve a Sharia applied on them...
Sarcasm. If one reads history of the region and Bangledeshi politics one quickly realizes that Sharia is not in any way a national goal. What the Islamists are attempting to do (badly) is offer an alternative to the grinding poverty and hopelessness of the average Bangledeshi. If the people are convinced of their hopelessness and believe the Islamists' alternative then Bangledesh could follow the path of other Islamic retrogrades.

It is essentially the same formula used by communist insurgencies. It works especially well if the government is oligarchic and corrupt.

Bot
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)

If you look deep down and consider the fundamentalist as an alternative you will find out that they will be no different than the dictators they will replace. Their nations will sink further into dispair as there will be no voice under the cover of religion. Women rights will be trampled on, freedom of speech will be restricted if non-existant, opression will be the norm...
On the other hand Bot, there is no way for these nations to espouse a model similar to the US no matter how any billions and lives are spent to "show them the way". These are deep rooted problems Bot, they need to morph and have a life of their own. You , I and the rest of the world can do so much but it is up to the people to wake up and flip the page, evolve or perish...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of a time cycle to rising tides of fundamentalism, or that they turn more to violent tactics over some type of cycle. Modern communications may be making more of a show to their activity and the spotlight it put to them may be an answer also. If you back 700 years out of Christian history it seems they were more into burning and hanging those they viewed as unsaved or whatever - may be no parallel at all - I don't know.
Bahia's I know that come from the Mideast are always saying that it's just ignorance, or in the case of discrimination against them in particular, unfounded rumors promoted by clergy. Some of these terrorists are very well educated though - kind of shoots down that view.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Shabah - 11/25/2005 10:09 AM

If you look deep down and consider the fundamentalist as an alternative you will find out that they will be no different than the dictators they will replace. Their nations will sink further into dispair as there will be no voice under the cover of religion. Women rights will be trampled on, freedom of speech will be restricted if non-existant, opression will be the norm...
On the other hand Bot, there is no way for these nations to espouse a model similar to the US no matter how any billions and lives are spent to "show them the way". These are deep rooted problems Bot, they need to morph and have a life of their own. You , I and the rest of the world can do so much but it is up to the people to wake up and flip the page, evolve or perish...
My reason for posting was simply educational. I like trying to understand other countries through reading about their politics and culture and history. This particular op/ed piece gave a glimpse into one columnist's perspective on Islamism in a largely secular state dominated by Muslims.

Bot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in