UN Security Council to meet at Minister Level to discuss Syria… Another Iraq??? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: UN Security Council to meet at Minister Level to discuss Syria… Another Iraq???

Quote:
JimSmith - 10/31/2005 9:49 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 10/31/2005 7:39 PM

Looks like the UN has passed the usual toothless wonder on the order of, "Now go away or I shall insult you a second time!"

In two months, I'm betting that Syria provides just enough compliance to avoid a meaningful resolution from the UN. In response, the UN will extend the investigation another 2 months to encourage better compliance. Repeat until exhaustion.

This is the same pattern from the UN that was tried in regards to Saddam Hussein.

Bot
Other than the fact that they did not sew his mouth shut, it seems the UN actions against Saddam were actually working. No WMD, no threat to the US or his neighbors. I don't remember any UN actions or sanctions that told Saddam to stop being a shithead to his "people" or "else." Jim
No they weren't. Recall that the UN passed what, 12 resolutions detailing non-compliance?

I expect to see a similarly lingering foetid, festering pool of pus dribbling from the gash in New York.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
RE: UN Security Council to meet at Minister Level to discuss Syria… Another Iraq???

Quote:
Botnst - 10/31/2005 9:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like the UN has passed the usual toothless wonder on the order of, "Now go away or I shall insult you a second time!"

In two months, I'm betting that Syria provides just enough compliance to avoid a meaningful resolution from the UN. In response, the UN will extend the investigation another 2 months to encourage better compliance. Repeat until exhaustion.

This is the same pattern from the UN that was tried in regards to Saddam Hussein.

Bot
Other than the fact that they did not sew his mouth shut, it seems the UN actions against Saddam were actually working. No WMD, no threat to the US or his neighbors. I don't remember any UN actions or sanctions that told Saddam to stop being a shithead to his "people" or "else." Jim
No they weren't. Recall that the UN passed what, 12 resolutions detailing non-compliance?

I expect to see a similarly lingering foetid, festering pool of pus dribbling from the gash in New York.

B
It is the analogy you draw that is faulty. In fact, the net effect of all those resolutions was that Saddam was effectively disarmed. Except for his mouth. If passing a load of wicked sounding resolutions that appear to have no teeth because they don't include removing Saddam's tongue, yet have the same effect as eliminating a bunch of badass weapons from his arsenal and cost me no extra dough than the tax I already pay for the UN, and no American lives, and no Iraqi citizens' lives, I would say the UN's methods may seem mad or even maddening, but they work. Jim
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

B
Has has been repeatedly pointed out here, the results of the Iraq War have proven that Saddam was in full compliance with UN Resolutions at the time of the US invasion, you lying sack of shit.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
JimSmith - 10/31/2005 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

B
It is the analogy you draw that is faulty. In fact, the net effect of all those resolutions was that Saddam was effectively disarmed. Except for his mouth. If passing a load of wicked sounding resolutions that appear to have no teeth because they don't include removing Saddam's tongue, yet have the same effect as eliminating a bunch of badass weapons from his arsenal and cost me no extra dough than the tax I already pay for the UN, and no American lives, and no Iraqi citizens' lives, I would say the UN's methods may seem mad or even maddening, but they work. Jim
The net effect of all of those resolutions is that nobody knew what was going-on in Iraq.

B
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
kvining - 11/1/2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

B
Has has been repeatedly pointed out here, the results of the Iraq War have proven that Saddam was in full compliance with UN Resolutions at the time of the US invasion, you lying sack of shit.
You have no clue what the truth means you shriveled cunt maquerading as a man.

Cheers,

B
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

eeeww. I hope I'm long since celebate befor I chance a run-in with one of those....

aborted Shop Forum member

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 11/1/2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

B

Cheers,

B
Hooooowaaaaaah! The first 'cunt' has been thrown!

I love when you guys talk dirty. Gets me all excited.[:X]

Just kidding, ok? [:)]
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Jillian80 - 11/1/2005 2:31 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 11/1/2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

B

Cheers,

B
Hooooowaaaaaah! The first 'cunt' has been thrown!

I love when you guys talk dirty. Gets me all excited.[:X]

Just kidding, ok? [:)]
If you'll take note, I was responding to a pustule appearing on this thread. Had to lance it. Didn't intend to cause offense to anybody else. For that, I apologize.

Bot
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 11/1/2005 1:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

B
The net effect of all of those resolutions is that nobody knew what was going-on in Iraq.

B
That is too easy and sets way too low a standard for figuring out where we failed and implementing some kind of learning process so we effectively improve. Without the UN resolutions and the weapons inspectors, I believe Saddam might have had those badass weapons. Most likely pointed at Iran, one of his favorite targets, while he mouthed off about wanting kill Americans to placate the local religious whack jobs. But capable of being turned into threats outside the Middle East and against America or American interests. In the end, the UN bullshit tactics appear to have worked quite well. Significantly better than our "Shock and Awe" and subsequent "boots on the ground" bullshit.

Jim

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
JimSmith - 11/2/2005 12:41 AM

Quote:
Botnst - 11/1/2005 1:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

B

B
That is too easy and sets way too low a standard for figuring out where we failed and implementing some kind of learning process so we effectively improve. Without the UN resolutions and the weapons inspectors, I believe Saddam might have had those badass weapons. Most likely pointed at Iran, one of his favorite targets, while he mouthed off about wanting kill Americans to placate the local religious whack jobs. But capable of being turned into threats outside the Middle East and against America or American interests. In the end, the UN bullshit tactics appear to have worked quite well. Significantly better than our "Shock and Awe" and subsequent "boots on the ground" bullshit.

Jim
Only the clairvoyent knew what Saddam had at that time. With the virtue and benefit of hindsight we can now confirm that the clairvoyent were indeed, blessed with a rare gift.

We should be careful not to judge past actions using present knowledge. At the time, people know only what was available at the time and acted on it.

Too bad it was wrong. Maybe we should reinstate Saddam?

Bot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in