post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2006 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FBI, eager for talent, weighs hiring former pot smokers

Great news ... we will feel more safe now !!

If you can remember the '60s, you weren't really there, according to the flip one-liner. And if you smoked pot, it's highly unlikely that you can recall exactly how many times.

Many surely did "experiment." Indeed, almost 100 million Americans - nearly half of all adults - have used marijuana at least once, according to the latest National Institute on Drug Abuse survey. Only a tiny percentage became stoners and slackers. The vast majority became responsible adults. Some even became members of Congress, Supreme Court justices and president of the United States (albeit without inhaling).

Many could not, however, become employees of the FBI. The bureau prohibits hiring anyone who has used marijuana within the past three years or more than 15 times ever.

The FBI is rethinking this pointless ban, one that has already been relaxed by other U.S. intelligence agencies and police departments. No new policy has been proposed and there is no timetable for change. But the FBI's arbitrary policy - smoking pot 15 times is OK, but 16 isn't? - impedes efforts to improve national security.

FBI managers are frustrated that they're unable to hire otherwise qualified intelligence analysts, linguists and other professionals because of the bureau's policy about past drug use. (Candidates to become special agents would still be subject to the existing rules, FBI spokesman Stephen Kodak says.)

Minor recreational drug use by the young is simply a fact of life and shouldn't be a barrier to employment or appointment to government jobs. Attitudes have evolved since 1987, when the nomination of Douglas Ginsburg for the Supreme Court was withdrawn after he conceded that he'd smoked marijuana well beyond his college days.

Today, a politician's confession of youthful drug use is greeted with a yawn. "Inconsequential" was what the White House in 1991 said of reports that then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas had used marijuana in his 20s.

Current drug use is another matter. Drug abusers cost their employers about twice as much in medical and worker compensation claims as their drug-free co-workers, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. And law enforcement agencies have every right to demand that employees be drug-free. They back up that policy with random drug tests and other methods.

Unfortunately, too much of today's enforcement remains focused on marijuana as opposed to methamphetamines and other, more dangerous drugs. Arrests for marijuana hit 771,605 last year, more than for all violent crimes combined, FBI figures released last week show. Those convicted may not qualify for entry to public housing and could lose the right to vote. About 41,000 students were disqualified from federal student loans or grants during the 2003-04 school year because of drug convictions.

The FBI's reassessment of its policy on past marijuana use reflects a more realistic and promising direction. At a time when the country needs its best and brightest to battle terrorism and crime, youthful indiscretions needn't disqualify deserving applicants.

Thanks, D.

2006 ML 350 - Black, Appearance Package, Navigation System, Entertainment Package, Sunroof Package, Heated Seats, IPod Integration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj
RE: FBI, eager for talent, weighs hiring former pot smokers

Just like in the game SIM-CITY the FBI will one day reach the point where it is chasing its own tail.

Modz ... enjoy the difference. www.benzmodz.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
AMSOIL300CDT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

the "abeit not inhaling" thing is the BIGGEST BS i'v heard yet..............

who would want to vote anyways? i take NO PART in anything i dont approve of.....

besides, i may still give up US citzenship fully, and stay in Germany anyways...i have the option of either......for now, i'm just here for the money.......
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:
AMSOIL300CDT - 10/25/2005 11:50 AM
the "abeit not inhaling" thing <b>is</b> the BIGGEST BS i'v heard yet..............
It really depends on what your definition of <b>is</b>, is.

“I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.”
-- Stephen Bishop
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
AMSOIL300CDT - 10/25/2005 12:50 PM

the "abeit not inhaling" thing is the BIGGEST BS i'v heard yet..............

who would want to vote anyways? i take NO PART in anything i dont approve of.....

besides, i may still give up US citzenship fully, and stay in Germany anyways...i have the option of either......for now, i'm just here for the money.......
Please, please make your threat real.

B
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Screw the FBI---I wanna work for the DEA! I hear they get all the good stuff.[;)]

BTW, like the avatar Bot. Wanna share?[:)]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Why little lady, don't you worry yore haid over such as that. That thar's just a twist of Bugler, ain't no Mary G Huana 'round these parts.

B
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 10/25/2005 7:34 PM

Why little lady, don't you worry yore haid over such as that. That thar's just a twist of Bugler, ain't no Mary G Huana 'round these parts.

B
Awwwwwwwwwwww too bad. And to think I was gonna give you one of my PopTarts.........

J

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:29 PM
AMSOIL300CDT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

where were there threats? did i miss something? [?]
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro

u mean to say hippies are making their way into secret service??? great we can see the transition.. from super-power to super-loser..

anyway FBI if u ever revert your decision, please hire me.. i do not drink, smoke, pot, blah blah blah anything

Fuel economy!! whats that??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in