mark2280 - 10/20/2005 2:14 PM
Your town is named after a girl!
Huh? Sam Houston a girl?
A few facts about Sam Houston Yankee-boy:
* Served under Andrew Jackson in the Creek wars
* military records show that he was 6 foot 2 inches when he was 19 years old. His Texas legend puts him at 6 foot 6 inches on his death
* Had a bit of a drinking problem. In his early life, he drank quite a bit, and it was certainly no secret.
* First president of the Republic of Texas
* And my favorite, his quote on why Texas shouldn't join the Cracker States of America (CSA): "To secede from the Union and set up another government would cause war. If you go to war with the United States, you will never conquer her, as she has the money and the men. If she does not whip you by guns, powder, and steel, she will starve you to death. It will take the flower of the country-the young men",
"In the name of the constitution of Texas, which has been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath (to the CSA) I love Texas too well to bring civil strife and bloodshed upon her."
He was tossed out of the Governor's job for that.
My kinda girl Papoose-boy....
And from his grave you hear "Go 'Stros!"