LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: GM may go bankrupt

Quote:
hey agreed to fund pensions, they better be held accountable.
They won't be held accountable (United anyone).

Bush changed chpt. 11 law so that they do not have to pay out the pensions after bankruptcy.

the gov. via taxpayers will pick up the pension tab at the tune of 40c on the dollar.

This combined with the fact that GM pensions are what is killing them [GM].... Hmmmmm... I wonder how this one will play out. [?]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille
Send a message via AIM to Chad-Benz

So do you guys dislike GM and american cars in general? I'm just curious.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 03:42 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)

Quote:
Chad-Benz - 10/27/2005 2:42 PM

So do you guys dislike GM and american cars in general? I'm just curious.
Good grief no. Look to the link for example. I have owned more GM than any other make, but GM has made, and continues to make mostly mediocre products when compared to direct competition. Corvette, GTO, STS, CTS, and new Saturn convertible are exceptions. Please notice there are NO front wheel drive vehicles on that list.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Yeah, i admit, GM is hardly the best automaker in the world. They've had their share of goof-ups, and of great cars. My first car was a '95 Buick Roadmaster Limited w/ the 350 LT1. It had a great powertrain, was very fast, and was very reliable, but that car had so many rattles, it was unbelieveable. A lot of the interior trim pieces were falling off. And typical of GM, everything was low quality inside, real hard plastics, low grade leather that wasnt supple at all. But it's much different in Cadillacs. Everything is top notch in that car. Mine is 13 years old, and its still extremely solid inside with only 1 small rattle. But my biggest problem with that car is that the 4.9 Liter V8's used in the 91-92 Cadillacs have a main bearing thump thats a design flaw. And GM knew that the aluminium v8 would leak coolant, so they made these pellets that prevent leaking that you put in the radiator when you do a coolant flush. So all in all, I would have to say that I believe GM's for the most part, are not engineered/designed thoroughly enough.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005

I have a 94 Impala SS with the 350 LT1 and love it, but I am very aware of its short comings (steering, suspension, interior, panel fitment). Actually most of that is so far from stock it isn't a problem anymore for me, but it is nice to get a German car and not immediately want to change EVERYTHING but the drive train and body. GM has had its head in its ass for a really long time. Except for the Corvette what do they have?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

[QUOTE]wannasl - 10/27/2005 6:52 PM

GM has had its head in its ass for a really long time.

Thats basically it in a nutshell!
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
asianml - 10/12/2005 5:43 PM

Quote:
AMSOIL300CDT - 10/12/2005 5:33 PM

maybe....maybe Daimler-Chrysler will fill in the gap, with more Benz technology, like dodge sprinters, and freightliner trucks.....
Well, if that's the case, I think that would put too much pressure on DCX. Then if the only options were the Japanese makers, Ford, and DCX, then that would make MErcedes more common. (Since they don't have the option of about a million GM models to choose from.)
I'm with you. I hope that Honda or Toyota buys GM. Those guys know how to make excellent cars at a great price. I'd love to see them take over.

Also, I think that Daimler's takeover of Chrysler hurt M-B but helped Chrysler. Chrysler has produced some innovative designs that really stand-out. I like it when a company takes a risk, and those designs are definitely not within the herd's center.

Bot
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:39 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 10/27/2005 7:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

maybe....maybe Daimler-Chrysler will fill in the gap, with more Benz technology, like dodge sprinters, and freightliner trucks.....
Well, if that's the case, I think that would put too much pressure on DCX. Then if the only options were the Japanese makers, Ford, and DCX, then that would make MErcedes more common. (Since they don't have the option of about a million GM models to choose from.)
I'm with you. I hope that Honda or Toyota buys GM. Those guys know how to make excellent cars at a great price. I'd love to see them take over.

Also, I think that Daimler's takeover of Chrysler hurt M-B but helped Chrysler. Chrysler has produced some innovative designs that really stand-out. I like it when a company takes a risk, and those designs are definitely not within the herd's center.

Bot
Says the man from bayou country. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every Toyota that I've owned, but I defy anyone in zone 6* or above to keep rust off their Hondota's.

* The U.S. according to Jackson-Perkins

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 10/27/2005 8:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot
Says the man from bayou country. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every Toyota that I've owned, but I defy anyone in zone 6* or above to keep rust off their Hondota's.

There's a Zone above 6? Jay-zus, I thought that was like the Arctic Circle or sumpin.

B
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Botnst - 10/27/2005 7:41 PM

Quote:
ThrillKill - 10/27/2005 8:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bot

There's a Zone above 6? Jay-zus, I thought that was like the Arctic Circle or sumpin.

B
Give it week or two.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in