What about a flat tax rate? Say 14%? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What about a flat tax rate? Say 14%?

Quote:
Botnst - 10/5/2005 11:09 PM

Quote:
Riquiscott - 10/5/2005 11:45 AM

It could be made to work, but there are a lot of questions that would have to be answered. Would there be any deductions or exemptions, like the ones we currently have for higher education and mortgage interest?
Would you be taxed on all of your income, or only income beyond a certain lower limit? Would there be an upper limit?

Scott
No deductions, no exemptions. That's why we call it, "flat."
You can still have exemptions, even with a "flat" tax scheme.

Also, will the flat-rate income tax be the only revenue source for the government, or we will still have things like capital-gains taxes and the inheritance taxes?

If you charge a flat income tax from the very first dollar earned, the lower classes are going to be much worse off than under our current system.

Changes to the tax system have to be considered very carefully. Some of the proposals involving flat-rate income taxes and national sales taxes are thinly-veiled attempts by the ultra-rich to further remove themselves from the taxation system.

Scott Gardner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 10/5/2005 8:46 PM

My theory on taxes is pretty simple. Those who get the greatest benefits of the free enterprise system, namely the rich, should pay more for the privilege than those who don't.
And my theory is that we should all pay according to services rendered. In lieu of that, everyone should pay the same amount.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Riquiscott - 10/5/2005 11:49 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 10/5/2005 11:09 PM

Quote:
Riquiscott - 10/5/2005 11:45 AM

It could be made to work, but there are a lot of questions that would have to be answered. Would there be any deductions or exemptions, like the ones we currently have for higher education and mortgage interest?
Would you be taxed on all of your income, or only income beyond a certain lower limit? Would there be an upper limit?

Scott
No deductions, no exemptions. That's why we call it, "flat."
You can still have exemptions, even with a "flat" tax scheme.

Also, will the flat-rate income tax be the only revenue source for the government, or we will still have things like capital-gains taxes and the inheritance taxes?

If you charge a flat income tax from the very first dollar earned, the lower classes are going to be much worse off than under our current system.

Changes to the tax system have to be considered very carefully. Some of the proposals involving flat-rate income taxes and national sales taxes are thinly-veiled attempts by the ultra-rich to further remove themselves from the taxation system.

Scott Gardner
I wouldn't call that "Flat," I'd call that, "Bumpy."

Bot
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: SL320, 300e, 450SL

Quote:
kvining - 10/5/2005 10:46 PM

My theory on taxes is pretty simple. Those who get the greatest benefits of the free enterprise system, namely the rich, should pay more for the privilege than those who don't.
The more you overtax and put a small business owner like me in a higher tax bracket only discourages me and does not help enable me to grow more jobs and make more people less dependant on the government.
I woke up this morning and DECIDED for MYSELF to go ahead and produce for myself and work a 12 hour day and for that, my guys were able to work 10 instead of 8. I come into this off-topic site very seldom and you confused folks on this site are the very reason. Dont you understand basic economics?? Oh yea,by the way guys, the elections been over since November, get over it and work for yourselves and dont ask me to pick up any dead weight. Anybody should deserve to pay taxes at an equal rate. Black,white,Hmong,long haired,pot smoking hippies, and so on. The realities of a pecking order in society are as real as when we were all children on the playing field. A guy w/ a $30k mentality is serving himself at the best of his ability or maybe hes not used his talent. Dont hate/dislike rich for taking advantage of talent(s). I can't wait til 08 when it comes down to you guys being faced w/ voting for a woman, let alone you know who. good luck and work hard for you so i dont have to.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Passat Variant
Send a message via Yahoo to kuan1

Quote:
bc2885 - 10/5/2005 11:33 PM

The more you overtax and put a small business owner like me in a higher tax bracket only discourages me and does not help enable me to grow more jobs and make more people less dependant on the government.
Which leads me to wonder, how do you suppose that Minnesota is one of the highest taxed states and has almost the lowest unemployment?

All hail the Sixteen Men of Tain!
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

1- Isn't corporate tax the same as a sales tax?
Given that corporate interests shape public opinion with media hype, and advertising and then go on to run government there will always be loop holes. Not taxing business would more transfer wealth to stockholders than lower price to consumers IMO
2 - Controlling govt. spending is more an issue that creating the income of the govt. Not so much the pork, but just the way it's always retail + plenty for what reasonable people shop around for the best value. We do that because we don't have an unending credit card like the govt. has by constantly just selling bonds to foreign countries.
3- Clinton got the benefit of Reagan's tax cuts without the offsetting pain of lowered govt. spending - allowed a balanced budget, but it worked so good it created a bubble. Poor ole Bushie just gets stuck with the downside of that, and by financing the pain instead of biting the bullet on spending is creating another bubble of credit and debt. Not going to the public and asking for sacrifice as we've always done in a war or emergency is just selling the ownership of America too others.
Tax - hell it would be to much to even think about. The free market will/has been/is just moving our base to where it's more profitable (outsourcing) and giving us the credit we need to hang ourselves until we're not necessary, or good consumers. The only way is to stop spending. The bartender has to quit pouring the booze.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 AM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
bc2885 - 10/6/2005 12:33 AM

Quote:

I woke up this morning and DECIDED for MYSELF to go ahead and produce for myself and work a 12 hour day and for that, my guys were able to work 10 instead of 8. I come into this off-topic site very seldom and you confused folks on this site are the very reason. Dont you understand basic economics?? Oh yea,by the way guys, the elections been over since November, get over it and work for yourselves and dont ask me to pick up any dead weight. Anybody should deserve to pay taxes at an equal rate. Black,white,Hmong,long haired,pot smoking hippies, and so on. The realities of a pecking order in society are as real as when we were all children on the playing field. A guy w/ a $30k mentality is serving himself at the best of his ability or maybe hes not used his talent. Dont hate/dislike rich for taking advantage of talent(s). I can't wait til 08 when it comes down to you guys being faced w/ voting for a woman, let alone you know who. good luck and work hard for you so i dont have to.
If you ask me, I would say you are babbling. No one here is putting in question work ethics, choices and so on. What is Hmong anyway?

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Professor - 10/6/2005 11:01 AM

What is Hmong anyway?
Native Vietnamese
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
bc2885 - 10/5/2005 11:33 PM

Quote:

Quite one sided viewpoint. You are correct but limiting your scope. You think luck has nothing to do with it? We all have to look out for number one, but it is best not to be so blatantly self serving as to justify it without question. That smacks of hubris.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)

Professor: What is Hmong anyway?
Shabah: Alfa or Alfa's boyfriend I could not tell who was who in Alfa's profile. If it is the latter, then Alfa is the dong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in