Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: JetBlue 292

Quote:
gregs210 - 9/24/2005 10:51 PM

Quote:
Exactly how did the front landing gear manage to get so bent out of shape?,... sorry didn't get the whole news.
The A318-19-20 Airbus front gear doesn't stay in plane (no pun intended) as it retracts, rather it rotates and folds as it retracts. Looks like it simply rotated and didn't continue to retract, nor did it return to normal when the crew tried that.

There are at least 7 other instances of pretty much the same thing with this Airbus design; the FAA calls it statistically insignificant. Considering that Airbus airframes use a substantial amount of composites, I was impressed that the front gear didn't snap off.

We happened to tune in just as it was happening and caught it live; during the replay I looked at my aunt and asked her, "Do you think there were any atheists on board during final approach?"
Interesting question. I can't recall having a slo-mo death threat like that. Most things that have almost done me in I either missed entirely or happened so fast I reacted without thinking (meaning, luck played a starring role).

I wonder if there is time function which plays a role in sprituality. IOW, if somethign happens so fast that you only get the "Oh..." ot of "Oh Shit!" religion may not play a role. But if the threat is of longer duration and one has an opportunity to consider one's prospects, maybe that is when thoughts of God, sin, redemption and salvation become important.

Also, there is probably an upper bound to time, too. Like, if you have a lifetime of years ahead of you, you may not take such an immidiate interest in your everlasting soul.

Bot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Yes yes. If you have say 20 minutes until imminent doom wouldn't you think even KV would secretly pray to something or someone. I mean wheres the harm? I would say, 6 minutes to completely drain the liqour cart including several expulsions of vomitus, 5 minutes searching for the med cabinet for a morphine syringe, 1 minute to tie off and hit it, and eight remaining minutes to ponder exsistence and pray to something.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 09:57 PM
AMSOIL300CDT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 9/24/2005 10:50 PM

Yes yes. If you have say 20 minutes until imminent doom wouldn't you think even KV would secretly pray to something or someone. I mean wheres the harm? I would say, 6 minutes to completely drain the liqour cart including several expulsions of vomitus, 5 minutes searching for the med cabinet for a morphine syringe, 1 minute to tie off and hit it, and eight remaining minutes to ponder exsistence and pray to something.
after ALL THAT, i dont think he'll be pondering and praying anything....[:0]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 9/24/2005 8:50 PM

I had an extended near death experience once, and prayer never came into it. I was stuck very high up on a rock face with no equipment and no reliable means of continuing my ascent. I was actually frozen on the rock until I pondered my life for a few moments, then realized it was over. Once I completely accepted my death, I was able to continue, since there was no longer a substantial risk. I never scrambled up 600 ft. rock faces again without proper safety equipment.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 06:41 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have nearly checked out 3 times and not once has god or any form of spirituality entered my mind on those occaisions.The last time, a few years ago now,all i could think of was my kids.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

saudi airlines make a landing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46_1610815_928200543055AM.jpg (28.7 KB, 659 views)

Fuel economy!! whats that??
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

The loss of the nose gear and subsequent landing doesn't rate all that high in terms of difficulty. It has happened many times in the past. Nose gear that doesn't extend and the fueselage contacts the runway. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Now, when one of the main gear trucks fails to extend, you have yourself a far more serious situation. The pilot has to land the airplane on ONE main gear, carefully balance it on that gear for as long as possible using the ailerons, and then gently set it down on the wing engine. This is a very difficult procedure and presents far more risk than a simple nose gear failure.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in