Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
RE: Ding ding ding! UNSAVED!

Quote:
tcp_ML500 - 9/21/2005 5:32 AM

Quote:
MS Fowler - 9/21/2005 3:10 AM
...You are obviously somewhat educated...
I do have basic level reading skills, but that's just about it.
You're giving yourself far too much credit.

[:D]

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '01 C320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: God? and stuff....

Quote:
Gert123456 - 9/21/2005 2:04 AM

Having said that, the original point was that the theory of gravity does not disprove it's own existance. That's all I was trying to say.
And the theory of evolution does not disprove itself, unless you arbitrarily decide that it is also a theory of origin, which it is NOT and was not intended to be. The Origin of Species is just that, a theory of how species originated. Why are we all not just one kind of life form, why are there so many different types and kinds of life? These are the questions that evolution tries to and does answer through both natural and sexual selection.

I haven't read the Origin of Species, but I highly recommend Beak of the Finch if you want something more readable.

As far as Bot's estimates of the chances of amino acids forming by chance to create life, I think he's spot on. Consider that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the world's beaches and suddenly the chance of life appearing somewhere in the universe doesn't seem like such a miracle.

As far as origins, I don't believe that science as whole considers that the big bang theory on equal footing as evolution. Maybe they should rename it the big bang hypothesis.
post #113 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Ammonium - 9/21/2005 10:25 AM

Quote:
Botnst - 9/21/2005 9:09 AM

Quote:
Ammonium - 9/21/2005 12:48 AM

It proves that organic molecules can be made from inorganic ones. These organic molecules have also been tested, in a lab, to form polymers such as proteins and nucleic acids(DNA) without the help of enzymes and other cellular equipement.

With these proteins, it is them possible to form RNA, this RNA can, when added to a solution of monomers for making more RNA, sequences about five to ten nucleotides long make more RNA according to base-pairing rules. If zinc is added to the solution to aid as a catalyst, sequences up to 40 nucleotides long are copied with less than 1% error.
The step from an amino acid to a consistently and correctly ordered peptide chain of amino acids is complicated. The step from a peptide to the tertiary folding of peptides formed into a viable protein is staggering complex. The geometry is so complex that, like the Seti search via massively parallel computers, protein geometry requires astronomical computer time by massively parallel systems.

How can something so consistent and well-ordered in nature defy the cleverness of man? Shouldn't there be a simple algorithm to describe it? There probably is, but nobody has been clever enough to figure it out....yet.

We are an awful long way from understanding the simple things.

B
The point is that these simple RNA structures get the ball rolling. Yes, DNA is extreamly complex and would require millions of years of evolution to be created. But, by demonstrating a primative protein -> RNA pathway it opens the door for more complex organic molecules. Read some on the evolution of the Eukaryotic cell and you'll notice that mitochondria are really the result of bacteria that were eatten by the cell but for some reason never digested. There are even some instances where it is possible to identify the former nucleus on the bacteria that became mitochondria. It is simply amazing
Both RNA and proteins have complex teriary structure that determines, in part their functionality.

I'm certainly NOT saying it couldn't happen, but pressurizing and electroshocking an anaerobic mix of chemicals and making amino acids just isn't convincing of the same method creating self-replicating RNA and production of proteins.

Now provide self-assembly of peptides into proteins and I'll shout, "Halleluja, bruh, I seen the light!"
post #114 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: '01 C320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
MarcusF - 9/21/2005 1:31 AM

Where did He come “from�? Your question requires that “time� be brought into the equation. Once, time was viewed as an abstract notion. A term invented by men used to describe physical changes. Our good friend Albert Einstein had something to say about that. According to Einstein’s theories, which have been repeatedly proven, time is a physical property that is affected by velocity, mass, and acceleration. Being a one of the universes’ physical properties, it had to be created. Everything here had to have been created. At least that’s what the First Law of Thermodynamics says. The First Law of Thermodynamics clearly states that nothing is now coming into existence or going out of existence. Matter and energy may be converted into one another, but there is no net increase in the combined total of what exists. But wait, matter and energy are both present and accounted for, and The First Law is indisputably correct, so how is it that anything exists? The answer is God.
You follow a wonderful line of critical scientific thought and then at the end you plug in the flying spaghetti monster. Wow!

The answer is that its something we don't understand yet. The nice thing about science is that it will not provide fanciful conclusions when it lacks an answer. It will provide hypotheses which can then be proven or unproven, but it will never provide an untestable conclusion that cannot be backed up by empirical evidence.
post #115 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
RE: Ding ding ding! UNSAVED!

Quote:
GermanStar - 9/21/2005 12:44 PM
Quote:
tcp_ML500 - 9/21/2005 5:32 AM
Quote:
MS Fowler - 9/21/2005 3:10 AM
...You are obviously somewhat educated...
I do have basic level reading skills, but that's just about it.
You're giving yourself far too much credit.
[:D]
I am quite an erudite, if I haven't finished coloring 1,500 books, I haven't colored a single one!

May God rack me (under anesthetics, my merciful Lord) if it's a lie!

Note Exhibit "D" in the picture below, God is a fascist!

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
post #116 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:25 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I take extreme offense to the above caricature. Having worked as a carpenter like our dear lord Jesus, anyone knows that you could not drive the nails on that deck so close to the edge for fear of splitting the holy oak. Furthermore, the 8x8 corner posts appear to be split as well. The artist has made a mockery of his holiness and should relinquish his spray gun and compressor.

post #117 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
You know I don't make up stuff I post!

Quote:
ThrillKill - 9/21/2005 1:25 PM
I take extreme offense to the above caricature. Having worked as a carpenter like our dear lord Jesus, anyone knows that you could not drive the nails on that deck so close to the edge for fear of splitting the holy oak. Furthermore, the 8x8 corner posts appear to be split as well. The artist has made a mockery of his holiness and should relinquish his spray gun and compressor.
I have it from divine inspiration that you are the next candidate on:

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
post #118 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:14 PM
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member

Can I buy a bowel?

post #119 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 PM
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member

OMFG!! I just realized that is a MAD stick-on. My whole room was decorated with those.....And Rush posters.

post #120 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
That Guy - 9/21/2005 11:06 AM

You follow a wonderful line of critical scientific thought and then at the end you plug in the flying spaghetti monster. Wow!

The answer is that its something we don't understand yet. The nice thing about science is that it will not provide fanciful conclusions when it lacks an answer. It will provide hypotheses which can then be proven or unproven, but it will never provide an untestable conclusion that cannot be backed up by empirical evidence.
Your response would seem to indicate that you find the babblings of one Charles Darwin to be unscientific. In that, we have something we agree on! Since you didn’t care for my last quote, perhaps you’ll find this one to be more palatable.

"In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views."
- Albert Einstein
from The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in