Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: Bush Takes Responsibility for Blunders

Quote:
Ears - 9/13/2005 5:03 PM

Quote:
kvining - 9/13/2005 1:43 PM
Bullshit. I live in the hurricane zone, there is three months left in hurricane season, and I hope every dumb son of a bitch who let this happen gets a god damned finger pointed at him. Tell you what, next hurricane that hits, I'll let you unload the poor bastards sitting in their shit in their wheelchairs, and you can tell me how you feel about it then.
Then I respectfuly submit the fingers, your fingers, should be pointed squarely at Nagin and Blanco for such inepititude. I applaude you for assisting in the tragedy that has become the Katrina response. I furthermore applaud you for speakin out, as is your right. I fault you for being so narrow-minded as to singularily place the "blame" on the head of the current administration, while overlooking the hideous performance of the local governmental bodies. And then you follow up by stating GW should "get down on his knees and publicly beg God to forgive him for all the people he has murdered and all the lies he has told" is just unconscientiable and utter disrespect for the head of your government (assuming you are an American Citizen).

Furthermore, I'll go ahead and say what many are thinking... It chaps my arse every time billions of Taxpayer dollars are spent to bail out communities from natural disasters caused, in part, by the poor decision to locate there in the first place. I realize; however, the fact that the ports, etc in NO benefit almost every person in this nation, and therfore the community there becomes the responsibility of every American to do what we can to help support it. But for how long do we keep building in such disaster-ridden areas and subsequently ask the government to bail us out each time a disaster hits? Cities below sea-level... This makes great sense! Furthermore, how many taxpayer dollars could have been saved, if the Mayor of NO and the Governor of LA had acted, instead of waiting for uncle sugar-daddy to come bail them out, not to mention the lives! I am no one to say whom should be on their knees begging God, but I can imagine, the number is much greater than the one you mention (time and again...)

And furthermore... if you are going to invoke the name of God, suggesting someone beg to him, please refrain from then profaning the same name of God in the very next post.

Germanstar is 100% on point when he states we should get past the blame-game, and move on to more productive matters at hand... Relief for the, in kvining's words, poor bastards who have been so greatly affected by this disaster, and learn how to execute better the next time (and there will be one, somewhere...).

Thanks for allowing me to vent...
My God is a Flying Spagetti Monster. Please don't make fun of him.

The noodly savior
www.salon.com
Salon editorial fellow Aaron Kinney takes a look at a bizarre yet fast-growing religion.

The most recent edition of the U.K.’s Sunday Telegraph brought an important spiritual development to War Room’s attention -- the increasing popularity of a religion that worships a strange deity known as the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

"We have evidence that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe," wrote the religion’s founder, Bobby Henderson, in a recent letter to the Kansas Board of Education. "None of us, of course, were around to see it, but we have written accounts of it. We have several lengthy volumes explaining all details of His power."

Yes, this is a joke. Henderson, 25, decided to write his open letter to the state’s education officials in response to their plan to deemphasize the teaching of evolution in schools and in the wake of President Bush’s remarks Aug. 1 regarding the teaching of intelligent design, that the "decision should be made [by] local school districts" but "both sides ought to be properly taught ... so people can understand what the debate is about."

If the school board plans to teach alternative theories of how man was created, Henderson wrote, it should include the indisputable idea that human evolution has been guided from the start by an omnipotent, invisible force -- a creature made of spaghetti and meatballs with stalks for eyes.

Henderson, who says he recently graduated from Oregon State University with a degree in physics, concluded his letter by saying: "I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world -- one third time for Intelligent Design; one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism; and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

The Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't have a monopoly on religious satire this week. "The Daily Show" promises to end the debate on evolution in a series that began Monday called "Evolution Schmevolution: A Daily Show Special Report."

-- Aaron Kinn

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:38 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:

The noodly savior
www.salon.com
Salon editorial fellow Aaron Kinney takes a look at a bizarre yet fast-growing religion.

Hmmmm.........

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:44 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
GermanStar - 9/14/2005 4:11 PM

The blame game should come in the form of official unbiased inquiries after the emergency has been effectively dealt with. The emphasis of that inquiry should be to improve disaster response in the future. I believe that Bush should absolutely be taken to task for his pathetic FEMA appointment, but not now. He has replaced Brown and the effort continues -- that's all that matters for now. Eventually, I think enough heads are gonna roll to stock a bowling alley...
Spot-On!

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Ears - 9/14/2005 8:38 PM

Quote:

The noodly savior
www.salon.com

Hmmmm.........
The depth of our spirtuality is amazing:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:14 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

The apple that was pushed onto Newton's head by the mighty hand of God was not a metaphor it seems.........Repent now!!!

post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

in political asylum
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

http://www.venganza.org/

in political asylum
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 9/14/2005 8:08 PM
If Jesus comes back, we'll kill him again!

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:12 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
tcp_ML500 - 9/14/2005 9:04 PM

Quote:
kvining - 9/14/2005 8:08 PM
If Jesus comes back, we'll kill him again!
I thought the Road Warrior put you people in your place?.....Although it would be nice to see The Passion part 2.

post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Ex-FEMA Chief Tells of Frustration and Chaos

<!--
function submitCCCForm(){
PopUp = window.open('', '_Icon','location=no,toolbar=no,status=no,width=65 0,height=550,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes');
this.document.cccform.submit();
}
// -->

E-Mail This

Printer-Friendly

Single-Page

Reprints

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
and SCOTT SHANE

Published: September 15, 2005

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 - Hours after Hurricane Katrina passed New Orleans on Aug. 29, as the scale of the catastrophe became clear, Michael D. Brown recalls, he placed frantic calls to his boss, Michael Chertoff, the secretary of homeland security, and to the office of the White House chief of staff, Andrew H. Card Jr.

Skip to next paragraph

Jocelyn Augustino/EPA

Michael Brown speaking at a news briefing with the Louisiana governor, Kathleen Babineaux Blanco.

Maps, Satellite Photos and Graphics of the Gulf Region
• Photos: Katrina's Aftermath
• Earlier Photos & Video

HOW TO HELP A partial list of relief organizations and other information on the Web.

YOUR STORY Share your experiences via e-mail or in this forum.

Mr. Brown, then director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said he told the officials in Washington that the Louisiana governor, Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, and her staff were proving incapable of organizing a coherent state effort and that his field officers in the city were reporting an "out of control" situation.

"I am having a horrible time," Mr. Brown said he told Mr. Chertoff and a White House official - either Mr. Card or his deputy, Joe Hagin - in a status report that evening. "I can't get a unified command established."

By the time of that call, he added, "I was beginning to realize things were going to hell in a handbasket" in Louisiana. A day later, Mr. Brown said, he asked the White House to take over the response effort.

He said he felt the subsequent appointment of Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honoré of the Army as the Pentagon's commander of active-duty forces began to turn the situation around.

In his first extensive interview since resigning as FEMA director on Monday under intense criticism, Mr. Brown declined to blame President Bush or the White House for his removal or for the flawed response.

"I truly believed the White House was not at fault here," he said.

He focused much of his criticism on Governor Blanco, contrasting what he described as her confused response with far more agile mobilizations in Mississippi and Alabama, as well as in Florida during last year's hurricanes.

But Mr. Brown's account, in which he described making "a blur of calls" all week to Mr. Chertoff, Mr. Card and Mr. Hagin, suggested that Mr. Bush, or at least his top aides, were informed early and repeatedly by the top federal official at the scene that state and local authorities were overwhelmed and that the overall response was going badly.

A senior administration official said Wednesday night that White House officials recalled the conversations with Mr. Brown but did not believe they had the urgency or desperation he described in the interview.

"There's a general recollection of him saying, 'They're going to need more help,' " said the official, who insisted on anonymity because of the delicacy of internal White House discussions.

Mr. Brown's version of events raises questions about whether the White House and Mr. Chertoff acted aggressively enough in the response. New Orleans convulsed in looting and violence after the hurricane, and troops did not arrive in force to restore order until five days later.

The account also suggests that responsibility for the failure may go well beyond Mr. Brown, who has been widely pilloried as an inexperienced manager who previously oversaw horse show judges.

Mr. Brown was removed by Mr. Chertoff last week from directing the relief effort. A 50-year-old lawyer and Republican activist who joined FEMA as general counsel in 2001, Mr. Brown said he had been hobbled by limitations on the power of the agency to command resources.

With only 2,600 employees nationwide, he said, FEMA must rely on state workers, the National Guard, private contractors and other federal agencies to supply manpower and equipment.

He said his biggest mistake was in waiting until the end of the day on Aug. 30 to ask the White House explicitly to take over the response from FEMA and state officials.

Of his resignation, Mr. Brown said: "I said I was leaving because I don't want to be a distraction. I want to focus on what happened here and the issues that this raises."

Governor Blanco said Wednesday that she took responsibility for failures and missteps in the immediate response to the hurricane and pledged a united effort to rebuild areas ravaged by the storm, adding, "at the state level, we must take a careful look at what went wrong and make sure it never happens again." A spokesman for Ms. Blanco denied Mr. Brown's description of disarray in Louisiana's emergency response operation. "That is just totally inaccurate," said Bob Mann, the governor's communications director. "Everything that Mr. Brown needed in terms of resources or information from the state, he had those available to him."

(More at NY Times)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in