post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NY Times looking for its petard

It ain't difficult to catch Geraldo showboating, but gee, doesn't that make it stupid to misrepresent it?

B

Kurtz Backs Geraldo in 'NYT' Dispute Over Katrina Incident

By E&P Staff

Published: September 12, 2005 12:07 PM ET

NEW YORK At the time, it seemed like a minor, one-day story -- amid the tragedy of the hurricane catastrophe -- but is The New York Times, normally quick to run a correction or clarification, making it much more than that by stonewalling?

On Monday, Howard Kurtz at the Washington Post defended Geraldo Rivera in his campaign to gain an apology from the Times for accusing him of showboating during his Katrina coverage last week. The Chicago Tribune also covered the dispute today.

The Times's TV critic Alessandra Stanley wrote last week that the flamboyant Fox correspondent had "nudged an Air Force rescue worker out of the way so his camera crew could tape him as he helped lift an older woman in a wheelchair to safety."

Rivera has denied this from the start, claimed that a tape of the incident does not bear this out, threatened to sue, accused Stanley of being "Jayson Blair in a cocktail dress," and suggested that if a male reporter had made similar allegations he would settle the dispute with his fists.

Meanwhile, the Times has not issued a correction, and Stanley has said her description was accurate.

In his Monday column on the front page of the Style section, Kurtz writes that "a review of the videotape shows no nudging or other physical contact by Rivera. At a nursing home, Rivera and a staffer are shown lifting the woman's wheelchair down an interior flight of stairs. Then one Air Force man takes the wheelchair and a second one comes into the picture, looking as though he is going to help carry the elderly woman down the outside stairs. The second Air Force man leaves the picture and Rivera reappears, helping the first airman carry the wheelchair outside as the camera rolled."

He then quotes New York Times Editor Bill Keller: "It was a semi-close call, in that the video does not literally show how Mr. Rivera insinuated himself between the wheelchair-bound storm victim and the Air Force rescuers who were waiting to carry her from the building. Whether Mr. Rivera gently edged the airman out of the way with an elbow (literally 'nudged'), or told him to step aside, or threw a body block, or just barged into an opening -- it's hard to tell, since it happened just off-camera. Frankly, given Mr. Rivera's behavior since Ms. Stanley's review appeared ... Ms. Stanley would have been justified in assuming brute force. ... Ms. Stanley's point was that Mr. Rivera was showboating."

But Kurtz concludes: "Still, the tape shows no nudging, so the refusal to even run a clarification gives Rivera free rein to call the paper 'arrogant.'"

E&P Staff (gmitchell@editorandpublisher.com)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:14 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: NY Times looking for its petard

Never trusted a man with a handle-bar mustache. That goes for Nieman and that sunufabitch Shalit too!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 06:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Why all the hate TK?

Quote:
ThrillKill - 9/12/2005 11:14 PM
Never trusted a man with a handle-bar mustache. That goes for Nieman and that sunufabitch Shalit too!
You are so fucking purged from this forum!

“I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.”
-- Stephen Bishop
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, at least he tried...
Attached Images

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Oh no you di-int!!

Ok, maybe I trust this fellow....Although he's been linked to radical left-wing yellow journalism groups.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I agree with the first sentence - its a minor story. Someone please clue me in on why I should give a shit.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 10:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 9/13/2005 9:34 AM

I agree with the first sentence - its a minor story. Someone please clue me in on why I should give a shit.
Oh come on! Geraldo has a soild reputation for respectable journalism. If he is screwing up, it only points to the larger issue that the entire media can no longer be trusted. Listen ONLY to the GWB and you will not be misled again, I promise.

(oh, did I misspell "solid" [:I])

OBK #35

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 9/13/2005 10:34 AM

You shouldn't. They shouldn't. I shouldn't. But on the other hand ebony and ivory live in perfect harmony on my keyboard; why can't we?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in