A-Bombs Dropped On Benz World - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Alfa

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This is how it started

(AP) Hayward, Wis. A Hmong deer hunter on trial for murder felt physically threatened by a group of white hunters who tormented him with racial insults, his attorney told jurors Saturday. But a prosecutor said Chai Soua Vang opened fire because he was angry the group disrespected him.

Vang is accused of killing six deer hunters and wounding two others after a confrontation over trespassing exploded into gunfire. Vang's attorney, Steve Kohn, said Vang started shooting because he believed another hunter fired first.

"You will hear him telling you that he felt he was under siege," Kohn said during the opening day of the trial in Sawyer County. "He knows he was shot at by some very hostile individuals."

But prosecutors said Vang, 36, fired first because he was angry the others were disrespectful to him and said they would report him to state game wardens for trespassing, Assistant Attorney General Roy Korte said.

"In the end, it was nothing more than anger," Korte said.

Korte said Vang fired at least 20 shots, and the other hunters had only one gun and managed just one shot during the confrontation in some isolated northwestern Wisconsin woods Nov. 21. Four hunters were shot in the back, and one victim ran nearly 500 feet before he was shot, Korte said.

Korte denied the hunters used racial slurs, though he said one hunter, Robert Crotteau, got angry and used profanity. Kohn described a different confrontation in which the white hunters repeatedly used racial slurs against Vang, of St. Paul, Minn.

"There is no question that race and racial prejudice played a part in the interplay between these individuals," Kohn said.

Vang, a National Guard marksman and father of six, is charged with six counts of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder. He faces mandatory life in prison if convicted. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty.

Among the 100 people who packed the courtroom were friends and relatives of Vang and of the victims. Vang, dressed in khaki shirt and pants, showed no emotion as the attorneys gave their opening statements to the all-white jury. The trial is scheduled to last two weeks.

Vang, a deer hunter since 1992, told investigators he got lost chasing a wounded deer and crawled into a tree stand on private land, where Terry Willers found him, the jury was told. Willers asked him to leave, and other hunters soon arrived and called Vang derogatory terms, Kohn said.

Crotteau, one of the property's co-owners, rushed to confront Vang, Kohn said.

"He starts laying into him. Foul language, racial epithets, and he is physically threatened," Kohn said. "Robert Crotteau said he was going to kick Chai Vang's a--. Every other word had an 'f' in it."

Korte said Crotteau naturally was angry to find Vang in the tree stand, and he used profanities but no racial slurs.

"No one grabbed him. No one pushed him. No one threatened to shoot him," Korte said.

Korte said witnesses will testify Vang walked a few feet down a trail and took the scope off his rifle.

Vang, wearing a camouflage face mask, swung around and pointed his gun at Willers, who took his gun off his shoulder and pointed it upward, Korte said. Willers yelled at Vang to drop his gun, told him to leave and dove behind a tree, Korte said.

Vang dropped into a crouch and fired at Willers, hitting him in the neck, Korte said.

"He is stunned. He can't move. He is lying on his gun, the only gun they have," he said. "The defendant didn't stop there. He continued shooting."

Kohn told the jurors Vang will tell his story, "how he perceived a shot was fired at him, toward him." He asked the jurors to put themselves in Vang's place -- by himself and under verbal attack by a group of white hunters with at least one gun.

Birchwood Police Officer Pete Weatherhead, one of four to testify Saturday for the prosecution, said he and other investigators sent to the woods saw only one gun, lying close to one victim.

Before court adjourned for the day, jurors saw a video of the crime scene and the bodies, all wearing blaze orange hunting jackets, lying in the woods. The trial resumes Monday morning.

Sawyer County Circuit Judge Norman Yackel also barred still photographers from the rest of the trial after Vang's attorneys said the camera noise during the testimony of a witness who held up the gun used in the shootings was distracting and possibly influencing the jury.

In a letter to a Chicago Tribune reporter from jail, Vang admitted he shot at a man running from him screaming for help because he thought the man would return with a gun. Vang, who came to the United States from a refugee camp in Thailand in 1980, also wrote he acted to "defend myself and my race."

Killed were Crotteau, 42; his son Joey Crotteau, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; Willers' daughter Jessica Willers 27; and Dennis Drew, 55, all of the Rice Lake area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: A-Bombs Dropped On Benz World

I gave up asking people not to hunt on my land. I just call the Sheriff and give the GPS location. The Sheriff asked me to post No Trespassing signs in Spanish. I look at him and said this is the U.S.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 10:17 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: This is how it started

Quote:
Alfa - 9/11/2005 10:59 PM

(AP) Hayward, Wis. A Hmong deer hunter on trial for murder felt physically threatened by a group of white hunters who tormented him with racial insults, his attorney told jurors Saturday. But a prosecutor said Chai Soua Vang opened fire because he was angry the group disrespected him.

Vang is accused of killing six deer hunters and wounding two others after a confrontation over trespassing exploded into gunfire. Vang's attorney, Steve Kohn, said Vang started shooting because he believed another hunter fired first.

"You will hear him telling you that he felt he was under siege," Kohn said during the opening day of the trial in Sawyer County. "He knows he was shot at by some very hostile individuals."

But prosecutors said Vang, 36, fired first because he was angry the others were disrespectful to him and said they would report him to state game wardens for trespassing, Assistant Attorney General Roy Korte said.

"In the end, it was nothing more than anger," Korte said.

Korte said Vang fired at least 20 shots, and the other hunters had only one gun and managed just one shot during the confrontation in some isolated northwestern Wisconsin woods Nov. 21. Four hunters were shot in the back, and one victim ran nearly 500 feet before he was shot, Korte said.

Korte denied the hunters used racial slurs, though he said one hunter, Robert Crotteau, got angry and used profanity. Kohn described a different confrontation in which the white hunters repeatedly used racial slurs against Vang, of St. Paul, Minn.

"There is no question that race and racial prejudice played a part in the interplay between these individuals," Kohn said.

Vang, a National Guard marksman and father of six, is charged with six counts of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder. He faces mandatory life in prison if convicted. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty.

Among the 100 people who packed the courtroom were friends and relatives of Vang and of the victims. Vang, dressed in khaki shirt and pants, showed no emotion as the attorneys gave their opening statements to the all-white jury. The trial is scheduled to last two weeks.

Vang, a deer hunter since 1992, told investigators he got lost chasing a wounded deer and crawled into a tree stand on private land, where Terry Willers found him, the jury was told. Willers asked him to leave, and other hunters soon arrived and called Vang derogatory terms, Kohn said.

Crotteau, one of the property's co-owners, rushed to confront Vang, Kohn said.

"He starts laying into him. Foul language, racial epithets, and he is physically threatened," Kohn said. "Robert Crotteau said he was going to kick Chai Vang's a--. Every other word had an 'f' in it."

Korte said Crotteau naturally was angry to find Vang in the tree stand, and he used profanities but no racial slurs.

"No one grabbed him. No one pushed him. No one threatened to shoot him," Korte said.

Korte said witnesses will testify Vang walked a few feet down a trail and took the scope off his rifle.

Vang, wearing a camouflage face mask, swung around and pointed his gun at Willers, who took his gun off his shoulder and pointed it upward, Korte said. Willers yelled at Vang to drop his gun, told him to leave and dove behind a tree, Korte said.

Vang dropped into a crouch and fired at Willers, hitting him in the neck, Korte said.

"He is stunned. He can't move. He is lying on his gun, the only gun they have," he said. "The defendant didn't stop there. He continued shooting."

Kohn told the jurors Vang will tell his story, "how he perceived a shot was fired at him, toward him." He asked the jurors to put themselves in Vang's place -- by himself and under verbal attack by a group of white hunters with at least one gun.

Birchwood Police Officer Pete Weatherhead, one of four to testify Saturday for the prosecution, said he and other investigators sent to the woods saw only one gun, lying close to one victim.

Before court adjourned for the day, jurors saw a video of the crime scene and the bodies, all wearing blaze orange hunting jackets, lying in the woods. The trial resumes Monday morning.

Sawyer County Circuit Judge Norman Yackel also barred still photographers from the rest of the trial after Vang's attorneys said the camera noise during the testimony of a witness who held up the gun used in the shootings was distracting and possibly influencing the jury.

In a letter to a Chicago Tribune reporter from jail, Vang admitted he shot at a man running from him screaming for help because he thought the man would return with a gun. Vang, who came to the United States from a refugee camp in Thailand in 1980, also wrote he acted to "defend myself and my race."

Killed were Crotteau, 42; his son Joey Crotteau, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; Willers' daughter Jessica Willers 27; and Dennis Drew, 55, all of the Rice Lake area.

Is he your hero or something?

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
What's going on w/ this thread? Did the ghost of Jillian do this??

Don't believe everything you think
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay, you ignorant slut...you resurrected this thread, d'uh!
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
I couldn't help myself. I miss Jillian...

Don't believe everything you think
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I miss my foreskin--so what
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Jay, you ignorant slut...you resurrected this thread, d'uh!

Z, how can you call Jay ignorant, he does support Mittens.............
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Now that is a good one. And from you of all people!
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:57 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
My gender is emphatically neutral, but then again, I'm 100% rational...all the time
Circumspect, to say the least.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in