post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
RE: The longest three days of my life

Quote:
theboss - 9/5/2005 3:07 AM

now think abt iraq.. and afghanistan.. same is goin on there.. on a much much bigger scale.. what u got to see... was just a minute trailer of a very long film...
What are you ranting about Iraq and Afgan for? We are talking about America. Whatever happens in Iraq and Afghan is man-made, to be more precise, Bush made. So I say fock all of them. The rescue efforts would have been a tad smoother if it was not such a shortage of man power from the NG. Why spent trillions of dollars on the ragheads when we have a whole city to rebuilt?

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Today was "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" day. It's anout time they showed up. Since Wednesday, when Houston began to be flooded with the refugees from this disaster, the Federal Government has been MIA. To the great credit of the people of Texas, it was the local Red Cross chapters, the City of Houston, Harris County, the local churches, the local charities and even the local light company that stepped into the breech. It was they who set up the shelters, collected the food and set up the medical facilities, and in doing so they averted what would have been an even greater human disaster. However, the lack of coordination and central direction caused much human suffering and prolongation of this tragedy that could have been so easily avoided. The big question is this: if the New Orleans disaster scenario has been #3 on the governments list, and since scientific studies, one in 1999 and another in 2001, literally predicted this disaster, why was this utterly useless Department of Homeland Security, on which we have spent billions, so unable to respond? The only word that can describe these guys is "clusterfuck".

As a Houston resident, I can be grateful for this in one way - our petrochemicals plants and our location in the hurricane belt make us prime targets for a similiar terrorist or natural disaster. The end result of the New Orleans Disaster will hopefully be better preparation for a future disaster here. Let me tell you folks something - I think a lot of this was due to deliberate decision making that these shitheads were going to show the rest of us a "faith based response". I think the reason the government was MIA was intentional, that they thought local charities could deal with it, and like Iraq, simply underestimated the scope of the disaster. I will tell all of you one thing - if you think "faith based philosophy" is something you need, you are fucking crazy.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Alfa

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Why I hate America

"Why I hate America"

I would be dishonest if I said I didn’t hate the American government. I do hate it, so really, so deeply and, yes, so rightly. America is the tormentor of my people. It is to me, as a Palestinian, what Nazi Germany was to the Jews. America is the all-powerful devil that spreads oppression and death in my neighborhood. How can I not hate this great Satan, the evil empire? Does anyone expect people to love their tormentors?

America has been, and continues to be, the sponsor, enabler, protector, and justifier of my people’s misery for the last 50 years. America is the author of 53 years of suffering, death, bereavement, occupation, oppression, homelessness and victimization. America is the usurper of my people’s right to human rights, democracy, civil liberties, development and a dignified life. America is the abettor and financier of Israeli occupation, apartheid, repression, terror, and territorial aggrandizement┘all at my people’s expense. America is the protector, maintainer, sustainer and guarantor of despotism, dictatorship, dynastic fiefdoms, and brutal autocracies, theocracies, oligarchies and monarchies. America is the evil power that denies my people their freedoms and democracy. America is the tyrant, a global dictatorship that robs hundreds of millions of Arabs and Muslims of their right to freely elect their governments and rulers because corporate America dreads the outcome of democracy in the Muslim world.

America treats me and my people as children of a lesser God. In fact, in the final analysis, America offers me one of two choices: Either I submissively accept perpetual enslavement and oppression or become an Osama bin Laden. Honestly, there is not a third choice; if there is one let us see it. I’m not exaggerating at all, as I know that the distance between being tormented by America’s oppressive hegemony and being converted or mesmerized into bin-Ladenism is shorter and smaller than many would think, including the so-called experts in Washington. In fact, I dare say that the first inevitably leads to the second in a straightforward cause-effect relationship. So, please America, don’t make me an Osama bin Laden. I don’t want to be one; I hate to kill innocent people, for, in our religion, killing an innocent human being consigns the killer straight to hell. And I don’t want to go to hell. But I don’t want to stay in America’s hell, either.

In short, it is virtually impossible for me, as indeed is the case for most Palestinians, Arabs, or Muslims, not to hate America so much. For me, in order not to hate America, I would have to be an imbecile, bereft of dignity, or without senses and feelings completely numb. Only infra-humans and quasi-beasts wouldn’t hate their evil tormentors and grave-diggers. And America is the Palestinian people’s ultimate tormentor and grave-digger, as well as the oppressor and killer of millions around
the world.

In fact, finding an Arab these days that doesn’t hate America would be
like searching for a Jew who is infatuated with Hitler’s Germany. Are there Jews who adore the Nazis? Are there still Arabs and Muslims who identify with the indirect, but no less-real, perpetrator of the massacres of Qana, Sabra and Shatilla, and now Beit Rima. Maybe there still are some, but I’m sure they soon will disappear. I know that a wealthy Saudi Emir recently made some sycophantic remarks about being ⌠an ally of America. However, it is extremely unlikely that he didn’t mean what he said. It would be scandalous if he did, indeed.

I know that hate is evil, at least a passive evil. And I, personally, really strive not to allow my deep hate for the American government and its murderous policies to be transformed from the static form to the dynamic form. However, others, who may even hate America more than I do, will not be able to exercise as much self-control, as much suppression of their grievances, and as much wisdom. But static hate is ultimately a frozen rage, awaiting the moment of explosion. I know hate can be blind and deadly. But, I also know that oppression, as the Holy Quran clearly states, is worse than murder (wal-fitnatu Ashaddu minal-qatl).

Hence, I try, even strive, to make my hate for America, as rational as possible, as constructive as possible, even as human as possible. This is not because America deserves to be treated humanely. The exterminators of 1.5 million Iraqi children, for the purpose of punishing one man, would never deserve to be treated well, or respected. They are despicable mass murderers of Hitler’s ilk. I try to control my hate, because my goal is to live in love and peace,
not to hate and be hated by others. My goal is to be free; free from Israel’s U.S.-sponsored and U.S.-funded oppression and occupation. I want to be free from apartheid; what is wrong or objectionable about wanting to be free from apartheid? I want to be free from suffering that transcends reality. I want to be free from a life of roadblocks, checkpoints, detention camps, closed-military zones, targeted killing, land-confiscation, home-demolition, and, yes, daily massacres. I also want to be free from hate, even hate for America. But I know too well that I can’t be free from the effect until I am free from the cause, and the cause is America’s greed, rapacity and hegemony. All we want is to be left alone and allowed to live a normal life and exercise our God-given rights and freedoms like other human beings. Is this asking for too much?

Please, America, don’t make me an Osama bin Laden.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Thanks for your time and hard work. My wife and I will also be giving our time this week.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:44 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
RE: Why I hate America

Your a good man Kirk. Forget the naysayers here as your actions trump any petty thing they might conjure up as a rational defense.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

I spent a good portion of the past week shoving folks into the tube on this end that Kirk helped pull them out of on his end. I concur with his assessment of FEMA. At times they were worse than MIA, they got in the way. The whole damned top-heavy bureaucracy needs to be fired and reorganized into something run either as a tactical military system or as a relief and support agency. The conflating of those goals is a freaking trainwreck and will fail again in the next major disaster. Anybody doubt that there will be one?

Kirk is wrong about the LA NG. They were mobilized by the governor before the hurricane and there were plenty available and still are. But at this time, it is all about perception. There is no need for federal troops but everybody is CYA-ing all over the place and looking for somebody to blame.

The problem was a near catastrophic perfect storm of mid-level arrogance at FEMA, collapse of civil authority in NOLA, and ineffective leadership in Baton Rouge.

First, when the mayor ordered mandatory evac, it was a vacant order: Unenforceable. The people who did leave were the oens who could. People of means who had cars (though a fair number of them stayed). Among those who left town were a lot of NOPSI employees and city police. These are the people who are suppsoed to maintain civil authority and the infrastructure.

Money given to the city for drainage and levee maintenance has been diverted to peripheral purchases and political favoritism (I'm sure you folks have heard a rumor of civil corruption in NOLA, haven't you?). It didn't help the levees and pumping stations and drainage canals get strengthened or even maintained, but they sure had pretty trucks and satellite telephones and such. How much federal tax dollars do we want to squander on endemic local political corruption?

The governor's office had, until today, refused to federalize the response. The state executive would lose power to the fed. No elected official likes the idea of ceding power and will always chose the path of maintenance and acquistion of power.

Don't misunderstand, I like Kathleen Blanco, I voted for her and I think she is one of very few honest elected officials this state ever has had. We need more like her. But she screwed this one up pretty badly. Because of civil breakdown, the state simply could not handle the magnitude of this event and they are unwilling or unable to grasp that. Had the disaster been immediately federalized it would STILL have taken 2-3 days to mobilize and deploy federal troops and the NG under federal unified command. That is the nature of the military. They are not sprinters but once they start rolling, look out.

But federalization comes with some huge problems, the most important being violation of posse comitatus. That principle has served this nation well and has only screwed us over a couple of times. Abandoning it at all establishes a precedent with terrible potential consequences.

Bot
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Alfa

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Shout out to Botnst.
At a boy, keep up the GOOD work.

Salute
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Alfa - 9/5/2005 8:29 PM

Shout out to Botnst.
At a boy, keep up the GOOD work.

Salute
He's doing the work of three men........Larry, Moe & Curley.

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Botnst - 9/5/2005 8:00 PM

I spent a good portion of the past week shoving folks into the tube on this end that Kirk helped pull them out of on his end. I concur with his assessment of FEMA. At times they were worse than MIA, they got in the way. The whole damned top-heavy bureaucracy needs to be fired and reorganized into something run either as a tactical military system or as a relief and support agency. The conflating of those goals is a freaking trainwreck and will fail again in the next major disaster. Anybody doubt that there will be one?

Kirk is wrong about the LA NG. They were mobilized by the governor before the hurricane and there were plenty available and still are. But at this time, it is all about perception. There is no need for federal troops but everybody is CYA-ing all over the place and looking for somebody to blame.

The problem was a near catastrophic perfect storm of mid-level arrogance at FEMA, collapse of civil authority in NOLA, and ineffective leadership in Baton Rouge.

First, when the mayor ordered mandatory evac, it was a vacant order: Unenforceable. The people who did leave were the oens who could. People of means who had cars (though a fair number of them stayed). Among those who left town were a lot of NOPSI employees and city police. These are the people who are suppsoed to maintain civil authority and the infrastructure.

Money given to the city for drainage and levee maintenance has been diverted to peripheral purchases and political favoritism (I'm sure you folks have heard a rumor of civil corruption in NOLA, haven't you?). It didn't help the levees and pumping stations and drainage canals get strengthened or even maintained, but they sure had pretty trucks and satellite telephones and such. How much federal tax dollars do we want to squander on endemic local political corruption?

The governor's office had, until today, refused to federalize the response. The state executive would lose power to the fed. No elected official likes the idea of ceding power and will always chose the path of maintenance and acquistion of power.

Don't misunderstand, I like Kathleen Blanco, I voted for her and I think she is one of very few honest elected officials this state ever has had. We need more like her. But she screwed this one up pretty badly. Because of civil breakdown, the state simply could not handle the magnitude of this event and they are unwilling or unable to grasp that. Had the disaster been immediately federalized it would STILL have taken 2-3 days to mobilize and deploy federal troops and the NG under federal unified command. That is the nature of the military. They are not sprinters but once they start rolling, look out.

But federalization comes with some huge problems, the most important being violation of posse comitatus. That principle has served this nation well and has only screwed us over a couple of times. Abandoning it at all establishes a precedent with terrible potential consequences.

Bot
How many LA National Guard were there in LA Botnst? And how about the National Guard battalion that is headquatered in New Orleans, a mechanized infantry regiment consisting of some 3,000 troops, you know, of the kind that could maintain law and order, where are they? Where are they right now, this minute? You know what I mean, the type of guys who could operate a command and control structure in a major hurricane. Where are their trucks? Cranes? Bulldozers? In fact, were any of the National Guard units HQ'd in New Orleans actually in New Orleans? Tell me, was what was left of the LA National Guard deployed in force to New Orleans as the hurricane approached, as is usually done in Florida? If they were deployed as you seem to infer, where was the equipment that could have delivered food and water to the thousands at the Astrodome? Who did they rescue? What specifically, did they do? It certainly doesn't seem to be making the news. Do you think the fact that they were mostly clerical and administrative staff had anything to do with it? Perhaps their plan was to throw a drowning man a typewriter? Caution: I know the answers to all these questions.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Well, I turned in my Red Cross badge last night. The US Air Force has taken over here in Houston. No moe buses, they are coming by air transport to Ellington Field, and from there to the George R. Brown. There is starting to be a lot of questions and grumblings from local residents. Longterm, this ain't going to be pretty.

FEMA is still MIA, with churches doing their best to do their work. The Second Baptist Church of Houston, the biggest of the mega-churches that is providing meals at the Astrodome, is grumbling that they are running a deficit from donations of some $43,000 a meal to feed these people, a sum that will bankrupt them in a week or so.

most interesting facting being bandied about, the subject of hysterical, derisive laughter: it seems the prior job held by Mr. Brown, the director of FEMA, was as president of The Arabian Horse Breeders Associatioon of Kentucky. In fact, he was fired from that job. The dude is a political hack who bribed his way with "campaign contributions" into his job, much like Haley Barbor, the political hack who become the incompentent governor of Mississippi did. Mr. Barbor gives whole new meaning to the term "redneck buffoon". His response to the state's emergency initially consitented of statemetns that, when decoded from redneck, said "We will respond to this hurricane by shooting theiving niggers".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in