jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
another argument for retroactive abortion

I defy you to read this (long) article and not bite your knuckles.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=6992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d
RE: another argument for retroactive abortion

The whole affair with the tube bombs brought to mind a movie I saw about 5 or 6 yrs ago about young Muslim radicals in northern England. It was called, 'My Son the Fanatic'. I didn't suspect at the time what the result would be.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Imposing Britishness is a solution? I think that's what the French are trying in France. How is that working for them?

Bot
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kerry edwards - 8/25/2005 4:24 AM

The whole affair with the tube bombs brought to mind a movie I saw about 5 or 6 yrs ago about young Muslim radicals in northern England. It was called, 'My Son the Fanatic'. I didn't suspect at the time what the result would be.
Yes, and from what I know of this there will be a great deal more. All inspired by the religion of peace. Oh, I forgot, these are BAD Muslims, although their knowledge of scripture seems remarkably good; strange, eh?

These guys are a 5th column in our midst. Let's discuss civil liberties while they plan their next outrage, or wring our hands about 'inclusiveness'.

If you read the article you will see that this guy exposes the poverty of the left's analysis that the problem is economic; the chattering class on the left is terrified of being tarred with the same brush (racists, cultural imperialists) as the far-right that they can only understand this in terms of left-right politics, when it is actually about ideology; the islamists are straightforward in saying that democracy is wrong, personal freedom is wrong, and critcial thinking is wrong. This is why democracy in Iraq will fail, too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

This should be reason enough.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46_1575182_825200574748AM.jpg (29.0 KB, 42 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
jjl - 8/25/2005 7:30 AM

Quote:
kerry edwards - 8/25/2005 4:24 AM

Yes, and from what I know of this there will be a great deal more. All inspired by the religion of peace. Oh, I forgot, these are BAD Muslims, although their knowledge of scripture seems remarkably good; strange, eh?

These guys are a 5th column in our midst. Let's discuss civil liberties while they plan their next outrage, or wring our hands about 'inclusiveness'.

If you read the article you will see that this guy exposes the poverty of the left's analysis that the problem is economic; the chattering class on the left is terrified of being tarred with the same brush (racists, cultural imperialists) as the far-right that they can only understand this in terms of left-right politics, when it is actually about ideology; the islamists are straightforward in saying that democracy is wrong, personal freedom is wrong, and critcial thinking is wrong. This is why democracy in Iraq will fail, too.
Theodore Dalrymple wrote a piece about a year ago supporting your point on the basis of his experience with immigrant youth in British prisons. I don't know if I can find the link anymore, but I'll look.
I think it's also why Christopher Hitchens abandoned the left after 9/11.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Here's the Dalrymple piece:

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_2_when_islam.html
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kerry edwards - 8/26/2005 8:57 PM

Here's the Dalrymple piece:

http://www.city-journal.org/html/14_2_when_islam.html
Thanks, that was beautifully written. However, I'm not sure he is correct in thinking that the extremists are a 'tiny minority'. Here are some stats from a recent survey of British Muslims following the recent murders:

Muslims who see the 7/7 bombing attacks in London as justified on balance: 6 percent.

Who feel sympathy for the "feelings and motives" of those who carried out the 7/7 attacks: 24 percent.

Understand "why some people behave in that way": 56 percent.

Disagree with Tony Blair's description of the ideology of the London bombers as "perverted and poisonous": 26 percent.

Feel not loyal towards Britain: 16 percent.

Agree that "Western society is decadent and immoral and that Muslims should seek to bring it to an end": 32 percent willing to use non-violent means and (as noted above) 1 percent willing to use violence "if necessary." Just 56 percent of Muslims agree with the statement that "Western society may not be perfect but Muslims should live with it and not seek to bring it to an end."

Agree that "British political leaders don't mean it when they talk about equality. They regard the lives of white British people as more valuable than the lives of British Muslims": 52 percent.

Dismiss political party leaders as insincere when saying "they respect Islam and want to co-operate with Britain's Muslim communities": 50 percent.

Doubt that anyone charged with and tried for the 7/7 attacks would receive a fair trial: 44 percent.

Would not inform on a Muslim religious leader "trying to 'radicalise' young Muslims by preaching hatred against the West": 10 percent.

Do not think people have a duty to go to the police if they "see something in the community that makes them feel suspicious": 14 percent.

Believe other Muslims would be reluctant to go to the police "about anything they see that makes them suspicious": 41 percent.

Would inform the police if they believed they knew about the possible planning of a terrorist attack: 73 percent. (In this case, the Daily Telegraph did not make available the negative percentage.)

see http://www.danielpipes.org/article/2797
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I'm generally pretty sceptical of Pipes' data. I've heard him speak and he had a clear disdain for all things Muslim, even to the extent of cutting off reasonable questions from obvious Muslims in the audience. It seemed to me he had an axe to grind and was making a good living grinding it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
jjl
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kerry edwards - 8/26/2005 12:02 AM

I'm generally pretty sceptical of Pipes' data. I've heard him speak and he had a clear disdain for all things Muslim, even to the extent of cutting off reasonable questions from obvious Muslims in the audience. It seemed to me he had an axe to grind and was making a good living grinding it.
The data is not Pipes', but from a recent YouGov survey commisioned for the UK's Daily Telegraph - I knew of the survey (but not of Pipes - he may well be as you describe) and choose the first link with a summary of the results. Here is another link to an Islamic site with another summary of the same data:

http://www.islam.com/reply.asp?id=592190&ct=9&mn=592190
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in