i'm loosing it.. i agree with shrub! - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
When did I defend warmongers at every turn? If only you could write in other than rhetorical soundbites it would be possible to discuss a topic, any topic.

You ASSUME more than you know and then believe your own assumptions.

Take Cuba, for example.

B
Please don't make me bring up every post you defended Bush, his evil veep, the clowns around them distorting truths, making up lies as they go and smearing (Plame for example), lobbies etc etc. You made your support plain but you always claimed the high ground when cornered Yes Bot we know how independent you can be
DP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Please don't make me bring up every post you defended Bush, his evil veep, the clowns around them distorting truths, making up lies as they go and smearing (Plame for example), lobbies etc etc. You made your support plain but you always claimed the high ground when cornered Yes Bot we know how independent you can be
Do you believe that one can understand an argument, believe it is reasonable and logically consistent but perhaps not agree with the complete story?

If you want to bring-up every post I made in support of this or that argument by a politician, be my guest. I'm sure we will all enjoy revisiting each and every argument, in proper context.

Unlike you, I do not think classless personal insult is a rational substitute for argument. See your post above if you don't understand what I am referring to.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 03:53 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Do you believe that one can understand an argument, believe it is reasonable and logically consistent but perhaps not agree with the complete story?

If you want to bring-up every post I made in support of this or that argument by a politician, be my guest. I'm sure we will all enjoy revisiting each and every argument, in proper context.

Unlike you, I do not think classless personal insult is a rational substitute for argument. See your post above if you don't understand what I am referring to.

B
See post#30 in http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...a-smear-3.html
Good luck, nice having known your excellency
DP is offline  
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Please educate yourself on the subject of Algeria. Algeria was annexed, unlike Morocco, Tunisia, Mali or Senegal and many others.
About Germany, Japan or S. Korea indeed they are not colonies so why are you bringing them in the mix of the discussion? Trying to deflect where I am heading with this? I know that you know what I know for whatever reason
Iraq is occupied, it's not a colony because we haven't sent people over there to steal land and towns but we are there to steal their main resource of income don't you agree? If not then you must have the "real" answer as to why invaded Iraq
Our country you say? We were a colony! Are you going to change that fact because of this discussion? Please show me where I am fool on these specific points and try not to go sideways, you know, like tackle the topic rather than invent new ones so you can dilute the issue at hand, you know, the usual Bot super technique
^^
A typical classless personal insult hmm yeah. Bot please put me on IGNORE, we have no common ground and you're not worthy. I am sorry but stay away from me as much as I will stay away from you; this way you win and I lose just the way you like it.

Last edited by DP; 06-08-2008 at 03:58 PM.
DP is offline  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Please educate yourself on the subject of Algeria. Algeria was annexed, unlike Morocco, Tunisia, Mali or Senegal and many others.
About Germany, Japan or S. Korea indeed they are not colonies so why are you bringing them in the mix of the discussion? Trying to deflect where I am heading with this? I know that you know what I know for whatever reason
Iraq is occupied, it's not a colony because we haven't sent people over there to steal land and towns but we are there to steal their main resource of income don't you agree? If not then you must have the "real" answer as to why invaded Iraq
Our country you say? We were a colony! Are you going to change that fact because of this discussion? Please show me where I am fool on these specific points and try not to go sideways, you know, like tackle the topic rather than invent new ones so you can dilute the issue at hand, you know, the usual Bot super technique
Oh, "annexed" is different from a colony.

You should offer a correction to Wikipaedia (see below).

I am glad we are agreed that Iraq is not a colony. I hope we can also agree that nobody in the US government has ever suggested such a thing.

No, I do not agree that we are in Iraq to steal oil or any other thing from Iraq.

You may choose to characterize yourself however you wish. Your words speak for themselves.

Bot

-------------

Colonization and military control

A royal ordinance in 1845 called for three types of administration in Algeria. In areas where Europeans were a substantial part of the population, colons elected mayors and councils for self-governing "full exercise" communes (communes de plein exercice). In the "mixed" communes, where Muslims were a large majority, government was in the hands of appointed and some elected officials, including representatives of the grands chefs (great chieftains) and a French administrator. The indigenous communes (communes indigènes), remote areas not adequately pacified, remained under the régime du sabre.
By 1848 nearly all of northern Algeria was under French control. Important tools of the colonial administration, from this time until their elimination in the 1870s, were the bureaux arabes (Arab offices), staffed by Arabists whose function was to collect information on the indigenous people and to carry out administrative functions, nominally in cooperation with the army. The bureaux arabes on occasion acted with sympathy to the local population and formed a buffer between Muslims and colons.
Under the régime du sabre, the colons had been permitted limited self-government in areas where European settlement was most intense, but there was constant friction between them and the army. The colons charged that the bureaux arabes hindered the progress of colonization. They agitated against military rule, complaining that their legal rights were denied under the arbitrary controls imposed on the colony and insisting on a civil administration for Algeria fully integrated with metropolitan France. The army warned that the introduction of civilian government would invite Muslim retaliation and threaten the security of Algeria. The French government vacillated in its policy, yielding small concessions to the colon demands on the one hand while maintaining the régime du sabre to control the Muslim majority on the other.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
wiki, tsk, tsk
really, that's why I suggested you get an education on this matter before you make a fool of yourself. But then again, what do I know about this topic of "l'Algérie Française"? Why would you care that I share anything with you? You seem to know everything and you find me insolent whenever I challenge you. By the way, you're the one that took it at a personal level FIRST but I am at fault for playing your game.
I will NEVER engage you in any form that is meaningful it's simply isn't worth it.
DP is offline  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
wiki, tsk, tsk
really, that's why I suggested you get an education on this matter before you make a fool of yourself. But then again, what do I know about this topic of "l'Algérie Française"? Why would you care that I share anything with you? You seem to know everything and you find me insolent whenever I challenge you. By the way, you're the one that took it at a personal level FIRST but I am at fault for playing your game.
I will NEVER engage you in any form that is meaningful it's simply isn't worth it.
I never said I thought you were insolent.

Wikipaedia and Bill Gates need correcting. Here's Encarta's history. The bastards lie!

Bot


-----------------------


D
French Colonization
France annexed Algiers and the surrounding territory in 1834 and began occupying other coastal and inland areas. The new regime, led by a French governor-general, aroused fierce resistance from tribes accustomed to indirect Ottoman rule. Military leader Abd al-Qadir, the head of the Sufi Islamic brotherhood known as the Qadiriyya, used hit-and-run tactics that were highly effective against the French forces. A hero to Algerian nationalists to this day, al-Qadir was not completely subdued until 1847. Berber forces continued to resist the French in the 1850s, and in 1871 Kabyle Berbers staged a fierce rebellion in Kabylia, in eastern Algeria. French colonial forces finally put the revolt down in 1872, and subsequently confiscated large amounts of land from the Berbers.

With these insurrections out of the way, France began to colonize Algeria in earnest, and European settlers poured into the country. To encourage settlement, the French confiscated or purchased lands at low prices from Muslim owners. Algeria was divided into three overseas departments of France, controlled for all practical purposes by the European settlers. The settlers formed a privileged elite. With the help of large infusions of capital, they developed a modern economy, with industries, banks, schools, shops, and services similar to those at home. The settlers developed Algerian agriculture, gearing it to support the French economy. Large estates produced wines and citrus fruit for export to France, just as North Africa once produced grain for Rome. Some Europeans made vast fortunes, but the majority were small farmers, tradespeople, shopkeepers, and factory workers. All, however, shared a passionate belief in Algérie Française—a French Algeria.

The displaced and deprived Muslim population remained a disadvantaged majority, subject to many restrictions. By French law they could not hold public meetings, carry firearms, or leave their homes or villages without permission. Legally, they were French subjects, but to become French citizens, with full rights, they had to renounce Islam. Few did so. Beginning in the late 19th century, thousands emigrated to France to find work.

The Muslim population grew steadily; by 1930, it numbered 5 million. A small minority, educated in French schools, adopted French culture, although they were not accepted as equals by the settlers. From this group came the initial impetus for Algerian nationalism.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 AM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^^
Apparently you never read or heard about the referendums that went on in the 50s and 60s where Charles De Gaul giveth then taketh away Hey but what do I know, I am no historian like you I just don't read the same sources you do I guess...Please don't try to further sucker me in, if you think I am full of shit on this topic then be it or just dig deeper to understand what le Cinquième République's constitution was and specifically Articles 1 through 4 and the recognition of French citizenship for all within Algeria. Go read up on the FLN, MNA, OAS and GPRA maybe you will get a clue and understand the contention that les Pieds Noirs had vis a vis the locals.
DP is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
^^
Apparently you never read or heard about the referendums that went on in the 50s and 60s where Charles De Gaul giveth then taketh away Hey but what do I know, I am no historian like you I just don't read the same sources you do I guess...Please don't try to further sucker me in, if you think I am full of shit on this topic then be it or just dig deeper to understand what le Cinquième République's constitution was and specifically Articles 1 through 4 and the recognition of French citizenship for all within Algeria. Go read up on the FLN, MNA, OAS and GPRA maybe you will get a clue and understand the contention that les Pieds Noirs had vis a vis the locals.
Are you still arguing that Algeria was not a colony of France? That was the whole reason we went down this road. Apparently the French thought so for about 100 years.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Are you still arguing that Algeria was not a colony of France? That was the whole reason we went down this road. Apparently the French thought so for about 100 years.

B
Yes but the whole occupation was 130 years and the last 30 years pretty much focused on making Algeria as part of France specially after WWII when the locals who gave their sons to fight the Nazis demanded equal rights. If you notice your argument pretty much ended by 1930 because that's all you could source out to beef it up. Dude, you keep suckering me into this, please stop I can't take it, you know too much about this subject but I don't
It makes me run all around the Internet to find stuff, you make me work on this subject, it's too much
DP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome