BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: SLK55/Infiniti M45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OT: Sacramento Crackdown Preliminary Tactics

Sacramento Crackdown Preliminary Tactics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got this from http://sacramento-dsm.com/viewtopic.php?p=7307#7307

Here's the prelims for what's in store. For us guys in Sacramento who don’t have a clue, the cops are coming down on modified imports like a ton of bricks, its going to be unlike anything you have ever experienced when the cop has pulled you over. Allot of what is in store for Sactown is based off the SDPD Drag-Net program, with new tactics and revisions skirting civil rights, I mean on the very fringe of your rights

The local cops are going to get a course on a few textbook things:

*Identifying Illegal Engine & Vehicle Modifications
*Engine & Transmission Number Tampering and Detection
*Enforcement Tactics for Engine Modifications
*"Hands-On" Practical Experience Inspecting Modified Vehicles
*Racer Related Insurance Fraud and Auto Theft
*Using Local and State Legislation to Solve the Problem
*Modifying Streets to Deter Racing
*Preparing for Mass Arrests
*Investigating Street Races and Seizures of Racer Vehicles

Now, with anything in the local government sector, it takes some time to phase it in. There is going to be several phases of the crackdown starting with the most obvious and narrowing down to the organized street race scene. When the full blunt force of the team kicks in, they are going to hit hard and heavy, it’s going to be the talk of the town. They plan on sending their message right away. The cops are going to do their homework in rounding up information. What you can expect is the following:

* - Trolling local car websites to target meet spots and drives.

You want to talk about low blow? Websites will be monitored for what is blatantly obvious, to go to the area of meet, trap the cars, inspect, ticket or impound modified cars.

* - Video taping of modified vehicles and license plates at Sacramento Raceway and import car show venues within the county.

Undercover cops will be there video taping modified cars running on the track as well as parked cars. With video evidence in hand, the plates are run through the system where the cops may send out a letter warning you of the mods on the car and/or schedule an unexpected DOT inspection of your car at home.

* - Street crackdown

With their newly found mad profiling skilz, they will pull you over. Nab you on front license plate BS if its not installed, stickers placed on the windshield and rear glass, LED glow kits, ride height being at least 22.5 inches from ground to bottom of headlight and more. Next comes the fine tooth comb, plan on being stopped for a while because they are going through everything now. Non approved intake, headers, exhaust, Naaawwwsss, etc.
Depending on how many violations they stick you for, will lead to fines and fees up the butt till that car is stock again when you go see the mandatory Referee for inspection and testing. Worse cases an automatic impound plus the Referee.

Get ready for unscheduled road blocks, IE, cop cars blocking the way with their lights on. The purpose of this is to trap cars into an area where each and every car will be fine tooth combed, ticketed and impounded. Currently, the DUI checkpoints already do this, but now there’s going to be more of them with the purpose of trapping cars.

* - Hangout crackdown

You can't just sit and chill with the guys talking cars without being DOT inspected now. Going on a tipoff from an undercover who mingled in the crowd or spotted you, cops will block in all parked cars and every car will be fine tooth combed. Violators might get lucky with a ticket, but what they are really after is the revenue generated by the impounds and I mean lots of impounds. The will have the tow trucks lined up ready to take cars.

If you are hooked on the underground racing scene in Sacramento, your days are numbered. Everyone knows that if you are caught racing you automatically loose your car, well now you are looking at jail time. Get ready for bait cars to lure you into a trap. Undercovers will now be mingled in with the crowd to listen in for the race spot, video tape your face if possible, your car and license plates. If, for some reason, they weren’t able to make the bust at the race site, the cops will compile the video info of plates captured, get an arrest warrant for you at your home and impound your car. Yes, this is now coming to Sacramento mostly targeting Friday and Saturday nights well into the early hours of the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: Various!
RE: OT: Sacramento Crackdown Preliminary Tactics

Dozer42

Am I correct in understanding that you are upset about the cops cracking down on:-

*Identifying Illegal Engine & Vehicle Modifications
*Engine & Transmission Number Tampering and Detection
*Racer Related Insurance Fraud and Auto Theft
*Investigating Street Races and Seizures of Racer Vehicles

and also annoyed that they may:-
*Modify Streets to Deter Racing

Surely that is what most of us expect them to do?

The only bit I don't understand is the:-
*Enforcement Tactics for Engine Modifications

Is there a law against mods, or only against not declaring them???

Mick
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: SLK55/Infiniti M45
(Thread Starter)

What I object to is them using any excuse to search, and seize vehicles.

I just sold off my modded Corvette Z06, it was putting out over 700hp, and I worked my ass off to get that thing to pass smog.

It was legal, just barely, but it easily passed the sniffer test and ran extremely clean.

BUT, with how this sounds, if I'd opened it up a bit they'd just pull me over, call it street racing, and impound my $50,000 car and sell it.

That's wrong. That's bad.

Heck, on my Lexus SC430 that I just sold I'm sure they could tag me for having a Tein CS coilover suspension setup, it was 'too low to the ground' according to their guidelines.

I believe we should have the right to modify our cars as long is it doesn't compromise smog output, safety, etc...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: SLK350, BMW K1200LT

Dozer, pls pls pls, don't ever let on what goes on up in Co. Durham, UK - although we pay about $8ish per (imperial gallon), we can hit the limiter (OK, only 155mph) any time we want, street drags exist, but only for someone who thinks theyve got something interesting, the sheep are marvelous(but everyone has to have a hobby) - send Californian's finest over, and we'll see if they can ever see us[8D][:D] - serious, don't make a big deal, if you and you're mates are gettin rumbled, - go Hide.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: '06 SLK55

A while ago I heard a comedian say "I don't know why we're having so much trouble drafting a constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? After all, we're not using it any more..."

The thread on that site had a link to an article:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp
Quote:
Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.
The emphasis I added sums up what IMHO is wrong with this. It's not about safety- just like so many other things, it's about making money. You become subject to being pulled over and having your car searched on an officer's whim, just because he "thinks" your car is too loud. Throw in some racial profiling, too, just for fun.

If you go to an innocent car show or get-together, or the drag-strip, you're subject to being locked down and held there while they inspect all the cars.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: SLK 280

All very strange. If they impound your vehicle for some perceived 'infringement' how do they square away selling it at an auction???.

Do they auction it then instantly impound it again? because surely it will be in the same 'infringed' condition it was before the auction?.

I think I will find myself a deserted island to go live on and just mutter things to myself about the good old days.

Portzy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: SL55 AMG/SLK 350

We may jest in the UK but I have a horrible feeling it won't be too long before the bigots over here start doing the same thing.

This week I read an article about how the UK police are using a reference in law that allows them to take your vehicle from you if you are causing an offence. There were examples of people speeding etc, etc.

Essentially your car is impounded so you have to pay the fine for the impound + holding fee for each day they keep the car + fine for the offence + points.

They can use this approach on any vehicle breaking the law. Now, I am all in for the Police doing their job, however motorists do seem to be the easy target.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 2005 SLK55 AMG

Free market principles will help with adjustment, assuming enough demand (i.e. radar vs radar detector).

I see an emerging market for "switchable" ECU chips, that have a "low performance mode" with a hidden switch or button sequence.

Can't you see the ad's now at PowerChip:

" Un-boost your peformance to I4, drop your quarter mile... Just listen to that exhaust's sweet weak murmur! "
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: SLK55 //AMG
Send a message via AIM to SIlver_Lana

Quote:
portzy - 8/24/2005 3:08 AM

All very strange. If they impound your vehicle for some perceived 'infringement' how do they square away selling it at an auction???.

Do they auction it then instantly impound it again? because surely it will be in the same 'infringed' condition it was before the auction?.

I think I will find myself a deserted island to go live on and just mutter things to myself about the good old days.
You, Sir, are endowed with the gift of common sense.
It seems many people don't understand this and the cops auctioning these modified cars are hoping the prospective buyers will not posess said skills. [:D]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 01:31 PM
dsb
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '06 SLK55
Send a message via AIM to dsb

Quote:
Saaz - 8/23/2005 3:57 PM

The thread on that site had a link to an article:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp
Quote:

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.
Wow. We should also begin frisking anyone wearing baggy pants or trench coats. After all, there is the high probability that they are concealing weapons, especially if they are non-white.

I hate this type of BS. How does a spoiler or racing stickers give anyone "probable cause."

What's sad, is that most people will probably not care of such city ordinances. The small minority of car enthusiasts with mod's will most likely never be heard. Yeah, I drive a bit fast occassionally. However, I do it in my Camry as well. I would never do anything that would place people in harms way. Now, if my SLK was impounded and sold off, you might see me on the evening news...

"An upset Iranian male was killed this morning in what police say was an unavoidable conflict. He had attempted to rescue his impounded vehicle that was being auctioned off due to a vehicle modification. Police say his aluminum door pins were in clear violation of the city's "No Mods 4 U" law. Luckily, as stated before, this was an IRANIAN person. Therefore, he will not be missed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in