Bush's latest propaganda compares apples to oranges.... The usual. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush's latest propaganda compares apples to oranges.... The usual.

US PRESIDENT George W. Bush put a brave face on the difficulties in reaching agreement on an Iraqi constitution, comparing it to the problems of the founders of America's democracy more than 200 years ago.

In a speech intended to rally a sceptical US public behind the military operation, Mr Bush underlined the importance he attaches to even limited political progress in Iraq.

He said US history demonstrated how writing a constitution could be complicated by political rivalries and regional disagreements requiring debate and compromise.

"Americans understand the challenge facing the framers of Iraq's new constitution," Mr Bush said. "We admire their thoughtful deliberations. We salute their determination to lay the foundation for lasting democracy amid the ruins of a brutal dictatorship." He was confident that agreement would be reached on a system reflecting "the values and traditions of the Iraqi people".

Mr Bush also invoked the spirit of World War II and the US's defiance after the 9/11 attacks.

Anti-war protesters again dogged Mr Bush as he arrived in Salt Lake City after a fortnight in which Cindy Sheehan's peace camp outside his Texas ranch became the focus of global attention and a potent symbol of his political discomfort.

But he moved back on the offensive with a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention that linked the invasion of Iraq with his policy of pre-empting terror attacks on the US.

Acknowledging the growing US casualty toll in Iraq and Afghanistan, Mr Bush said "a policy of retreat and isolation" would not work against Islamic terrorism.

"The only way to defend our citizens where we live is to go after the terrorists where they live," he said.

Although he did not mention Ms Sheehan -- the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq last year -- by name, he paid tribute to the "families who carry a burden of grief which lasts a lifetime".

He also made more pointed references to soldiers who "gave their lives so that other people can live in freedom". He compared the present conflict to "the great struggle for the 20th century" -- the defeats of fascism and communism.

Although there have been counter-demonstrations at Crawford from people supporting the President and concerted efforts from the right-wing media to discredit Ms Sheehan, her vigil, combined with rising US casualties, have galvanised the anti-war movement in recent days.

Most leading Democrats remain wary of the clamour to bring the troops home, but a few, led by Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold, are growing ever bolder in their attacks on the administration. He has broken with his party's leadership to demand that a deadline be set for a US military withdrawal from Iraq.

The Times

So our little struggle in Iraq is now placed in the same context as the cold war and even WWII. Wow. I can almost hear the marching bands. I feel so dependent upon W. to protect my family and myself. Every passing day I find my belief in a supernatural, omnipotent being becoming more important. After all only a strong gov't and a strong religion are the ways a true democracy works. If left to our own devices I am sure our ethics/moral would fail/fall. God bless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in