Vehicle: 280SE 280CE 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Harvard to investigate origin of life

Quote:
GermanStar - 8/23/2005 11:44 PM

Quote:
jdbower - 8/22/2005 3:43 PM

Do we actually have consciousness or do we just think we do?
I know I don't.
We have suspected this for some time. Are you BHD's big brother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 300d, 409d
RE: Interesting book

Quote:
BrentG500 - 8/22/2005 3:49 PM

I invite you all to check out this fantastic book that was written by a French Scientist in the 1960's.

It's called, The Bible, The Qur'an and Science

Here's the link: http://home1.swipnet.se/islam/quran-bible.htm

The Holy Scriptures are examined in light of modern knowledge. You can't disagree with modern knowledge and you can't disagree that what's written in the books is actually written, so give it a read. Educate yourself.

The book is pretty detailed and pretty objective.
I believe that is the same book that was recommended to me by a sheik at the local Mosque. I was unimpressed. The argument seemed to me to be roughly, "The Quran must be divinely inspired because it says so many things compatible with modern science which wasn't around when the book was written."

I don't get it. Scientific ideas change a lot, so a book compatible with 60's science may be completely mistaken from a scientitic point of view 20 yrs later.

But, the fundamental issue is, should any rational person accept beliefs on authority, even divine authority. I think not. Even if God tells us, 'I created the world in yr XXXX using method YYY.', we shouldn't accept it on God's authority. We should check for ourselves.
The basic issue is epistemological. What is a good reason to believe in something? A flat out claim of 'I said so' is rejected by kids when their parents use it and it should be rejected by adults also.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:08 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 2004 G500 (gone)
Re:

Quote:
kerry edwards - 8/22/2005 6:53 PM

A flat out claim of 'I said so' is rejected by kids when their parents use it and it should be rejected by adults also.
Good for you! So do what we all do - seek all the information out. Convince yourself whatever you feel is the Truth.

If someone is going to tell you something about the world you live in, don't take their word for it - find the way to come to your own decision.

In today's day, all too many people put their brains on the shelves and let others spoon feed them what it is they want them to believe.

Based on my knowledge, I don't find anything to disagree with concerning the book I recommended. But you're entitled to feel differently.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

If I want to get drinking water from a well, I don't drill an oil well.

Holy revelation as a source for useful explanations of reality has been tried and found wanting. It is great for spritual matters, but if you want a car, don't look to Scripture for a design.

In the same sense, if I want to understand the mechanistic origin of life, Divine revelation is a non-starter. However, if I want to understand what life means, then religion is as pleasant a venue as any to start.

B
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

I suspect you'll find the strongest proponents of ID are the same people that were getting a good peer kicking over neo-Eugenics during the last "gee I sound intelligent using sciency words" fashion statement.

Religion is all about politics. Can't walk in the front door, assault from the flanks but never give up because it's all about who was right and who was wrong.
The smarter, democratically devoted religious rediscover this historical role as one of philosophy and hey, whatever toots your horn.

The methodology used to support ID is identical to creationism. Win by default. Firstly this does not support the contention. Secondly those proponents couldn't falsify recognised and empirically supported scientific theorum then, and they can't now.

An argument against "science" as a homogenous body is tantamount to an argument against oxygen. Call it the phlogiston if you want but its properties are those of what has been named "oxygen."

And personally I resent the prospect of having to deal with entire new generations of complete morons who think there's brownie points in thinking emotionally rather than caring to genuinely understand what the hell they're even talking about first.

*marks in diary for future generations, avoid all Americans born post-2000 should this ID state education bill go finally through*

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Quote:
MS Fowler - 8/22/2005 5:21 AM

I just read that Harvard will begin to study the origin of life as an investigation of the whole intelligent design hypothesis.
It seems that the most they can conclude is that a certain mechanism was possible. I do not see how a definite conclusion is possible. Besides using all the brain power that Harvard can muster may demonstrate the liklihood that there was intelligence behind the origin of life.

Now, if certain members who frequent this forum could prove the origin of life, it would definitely prove that life arose by Chance ( a true lack of intelligence).javascript:AddText('[:)]');
javascript:AddText('[:)]');
Gotta love those who constantly hunt for definitives...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in