Bush will try to bullshit his way out of his record of failure again tonight - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: We're here from the US government, and we're here to help...don't mind the guns, it's nothin

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 6/30/2005 11:52 PM

Quote:
Botnst - 6/30/2005 8:17 PM

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 6/30/2005 10:01 PM

Shabah, if you believe that crock, the botnst also has some fine beachfront real estate to sell ya on Arizona's Caribbean coast.
You forgot to vote, in your rush to opine disparagingly without supporting evidence.
Didn't vote cuz it's silly and irrelevant. I'm not disparaging your point that most Americans don't desire to inflict x or y on Iraq, rather it's your entire supposition that "yes, it's about oil, but we don't want to control the oil--see, we don't actually have our hands on the pumps, therefore we're not imposing our imperial will upon these free and democratic stooges" That's a load of $h!t and you know it. This is about oil AND it's about controlling who pumps it, delivers it and dies for it--that's a form of imperial control of your semi-colonial serfs. All this "spreading freedom and democracy" crapola is brain candy for the dopey Merka-first crowd.
Au contraire.

For example, I'm free to chase pussy all I want. If my wife were to discover that I was banging Betsy in the barn, the ol' battleaxe would practice some abrupt regime change. Does that mean Mrs Botnst controls me?

No. It is my choice where the ol' botanical pecker plays, not hers.

Bot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
RE: We're here from the US government, and we're here to help...don't mind the guns, it's nothin

Quote:
Botnst - 6/30/2005 11:34 PM
Au contraire.

For example, I'm free to chase pussy all I want. If my wife were to discover that I was banging Betsy in the barn, the ol' battleaxe would practice some abrupt regime change.
This is so wrong on so many levels.
Betsy is an emblematic cow, you should respect her and her symbolism. I thought that being a botanist, you loved plants, It turns out you are a zoophiliac. If we ever see a screen name of Zophlc, we'll know it's you!

I am willing to entertain the idea that Betsy may not be the famous cow I am thinking of though, but the alternative is even worse.
Considering the sacrosanct nature of the flaf, banging Betsy Ross should be an offense punishable by death. That would make you a necrophiliac (necrphlc) and a terrorist.

I would hope that you made these statements solely to make a point and shock the rest of us. In which case, thanks, I enjoyed it tremendously.

Betsy is more widely known by her screen name, Elsie.

“I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.”
-- Stephen Bishop
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: Bush will try to bullshit his way out of his record of failure again tonight

...I assume you willingly entered into the contract with Mrs B...the Iraqis were forced into the current arrangement at the threat of death or worse--not remotely analogous.
post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Bush will try to bullshit his way out of his record of failure again tonight

Actually, Botnst may deserve a little sympathy here - I was going to PM him and tell him his order for my Maravelous Massive Member Cream was on its way, until I realized it was Mrs. B who ordered it. Perhaps he is finding solace in the barn. No need to further, my friend, help is on the way! With new and improved M-Water!

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 7/1/2005 11:31 AM

...I assume you willingly entered into the contract with Mrs B...the Iraqis were forced into the current arrangement at the threat of death or worse--not remotely analogous.
It is an anology over the range I provided.

All analogies always fail if pushed beyond the narrow parameters in which they conform. If we extend it more, it becomes even more rediculous. I would not propose that infidelity with farm animals is an especially useful analogy for dealing with Saddam, would you?

If you want to begin with the status quo ante then I will choose an anlogy appropriate for that circumstance.

Saddam was like a child who's been severely chastised by his parents and warned never to transgress again. Then his parents make excuses for him repeatedly violating the terms of his warning. His parents argue about what should be done. Finally, they have had enough: No more warnings. Now Lil Saddam has had a lot of experience with his parents say, "That's it, no more warnings".

So what does he do?

post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

...uh, except the US is, was and never will be the legitimate "daddy" of Saddam or the Iraqi people, but it is appropriate that you slipped into a paternalistic analogy when discussing imperial control issues.
post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Botnst - 7/1/2005 1:16 PM

Quote:
Zeitgeist - 7/1/2005 11:31 AM

It is an anology over the range I provided.

All analogies always fail if pushed beyond the narrow parameters in which they conform. If we extend it more, it becomes even more rediculous. I would not propose that infidelity with farm animals is an especially useful analogy for dealing with Saddam, would you?

If you want to begin with the status quo ante then I will choose an anlogy appropriate for that circumstance.

Saddam was like a child who's been severely chastised by his parents and warned never to transgress again. Then his parents make excuses for him repeatedly violating the terms of his warning. His parents argue about what should be done. Finally, they have had enough: No more warnings. Now Lil Saddam has had a lot of experience with his parents say, "That's it, no more warnings".

So what does he do?
How can you reason so poorly? Saddam, the proof has shown, had not "trangressed" at all - he had in fact complied with the UN resolutions, just as he claimed he did. Why do you insist on pushing a pack of lies as truth?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

No Bounce: Bush Job Approval Unchanged by War Speech; Question on Impeachment Shows Polarization of Nation; Americans Tired of Divisiveness in Congress—Want Bi-Partisan Solutions—New Zogby Poll

from www.zogby.com

President Bush’s televised address to the nation produced no noticeable bounce in his approval numbers, with his job approval rating slipping a point from a week ago, to 43%, in the latest Zogby International poll. And, in a sign of continuing polarization, more than two-in-five voters (42%) say they would favor impeachment proceedings if it is found the President misled the nation about his reasons for going to war with Iraq.

The Zogby America survey of 905 likely voters, conducted from June 27 through 29, 2005, has a margin of error of +/-3.3 percentage points.

Just one week ago, President Bush’s job approval stood at a previous low of 44%—but it has now slipped another point to 43%, despite a speech to the nation intended to build support for the Administration and the ongoing Iraq War effort. The Zogby America survey includes calls made both before and after the President’s address, and the results show no discernible “bump� in his job approval, with voter approval of his job performance at 45% in the final day of polling.

Where voters live has some impact on their perceptions. The President’s job rating remains relatively strong in the South, with 51% rating his performance favorably; in all other regions, those disapproving his performance are in the majority.

In a more significant sign of the weakness of the President’s numbers, more “Red State� voters—that is, voters living in the states that cast their ballots for the Bush-Cheney ticket in 2004—now rate his job performance unfavorably, with 50% holding a negative impression of the President’s handling of his duties, and 48% holding a favorable view. The President also gets negative marks from one-in-four (25%) Republicans—as well as 86% of Democrats and 58% of independents. (Bush nets favorable marks from 75% of Republicans, 13% of Democrats and 40% of independents.)

Impeachment Question Shows Bitterness of Divide

In a sign of the continuing partisan division of the nation, more than two-in-five (42%) voters say that, if it is found that President Bush did not tell the truth about his reasons for going to war with Iraq, Congress should hold him accountable through impeachment. While half (50%) of respondents do not hold this view, supporters of impeachment outweigh opponents in some parts of the country.

Among those living in the Western states, a 52% majority favors Congress using the impeachment mechanism while just 41% are opposed; in Eastern states, 49% are in favor and 45% opposed. In the South, meanwhile, impeachment is opposed by three-in-five voters (60%) and supported by just one-in-three (34%); in the Central/Great Lakes region, 52% are opposed and 38% in favor.

Impeachment is overwhelmingly rejected in the Red States—just 36% say they agree Congress should use it if the President is found to have lied on Iraq, while 55% reject this view; in the “Blue States� that voted for Massachusetts Democrat John Kerry in 2004, meanwhile, a plurality of 48% favors such proceedings while 45% are opposed.

A large majority of Democrats (59%) say they agree that the President should be impeached if he lied about Iraq, while just three-in-ten (30%) disagree. Among President Bush’s fellow Republicans, a full one-in-four (25%) indicate they would favor impeaching the President under these circumstances, while seven-in-ten (70%) do not. Independents are more closely divided, with 43% favoring impeachment and 49% opposed.

Americans Tiring of Partisan Division on Capital Hill

The same survey finds that a 55% majority of voters believe the two parties are too focused on their respective bases, and as a result, compromise—and results—have become impossible in Washington. Just 36% in the poll rejected that notion, saying the parties’ organization provides as broad a base as possible, and that compromise is occurring.

A follow-up question found that seven-in-ten (70%) voters believe the parties should be broad-based, and should pursue compromise—while less than one-in-four (23%) favored putting base issues first, even if it means nothing is accomplished.

These views are held by members of both major political parties, as well as independents, although Republicans, whose party controls both houses of Congress, are more likely to favor the parties focusing on the desires of their base than are Democrats and independents, with 31% of Republicans favoring this approach—more than the 20% of Democrats and 17% of independents who hold that view.

Pollster John Zogby: “The nation continues to be split down the middle but there appears to be a deep and growing concern about how polarized we are. The President tried to address the situation on the ground in Iraq and hoped to allay the fears of the nation. It looks like that did not happen. Meanwhile, opposition to the war reveals that Americans are just as hostile and intense as they were the day after the 2004 election. The message seems to be pretty clear for Mr. Bush: lay off the partisan rhetoric and work to find compromise solutions.�

Zogby International conducted interviews of 905 likely voters chosen at random nationwide. All calls were made from Zogby International headquarters in Utica, N.Y., from June 27 to 29, 2005. The margin of error is +/- 3.3 percentage points. Slight weights were added to region, party, age, race, religion, and gender to more accurately reflect the voting population. Margins of error are higher in sub-groups.

(6/30/2005)

post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Posted by Botnst: Of course we decide policy on referenda--that's what an election is.
--------------------------------------------------

No, it is not. We are now involved in multi-billion dollar nation building venture in Iraq. The president who is leading us in this is the same one who, as a candidate, told us he was against nation building.

We have elections, and we vote for candidates who may (or more likely may not) do what they say. The idea that this is somehow a "referendum" on policy is absurd. In 1968, the candidate who assured us that he would achieve "peace with honor" in Vietnam won. He then spent the next 7 years expanding that war.

There goes your theory up shit's creek.

Joe B.
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Posted by Kirk Vining: How can you reason so poorly? Saddam, the proof has shown, had not "trangressed" at all - he had in fact complied with the UN resolutions, just as he claimed he did. Why do you insist on pushing a pack of lies as truth?

----------------------------------------------------

I would suggest that he insists on "pushing a pack of lies as truth" because he is an enthusiastic supporter of the Iraq war, which was build on a "pack of lies" posing "as truth." But recall from earlier threads that he is an individual who has a whole heap of trouble calling a lie a lie.

Joe B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in