I have a difficult time understanding when a company makes $17 biilion in sales, - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
RE: I have a difficult time understanding when a company makes $17 biilion in sales,

Quote:
old300D - 6/28/2005 9:25 AM

Quote:
MS Fowler - 6/28/2005 3:54 AM

So how do you stop off-shoring without making the America consumer pay for it?
Import duties, tariffs, ets are simply extra taxes paid by the consumer.
Remember corporations and businesses do not pay taxes; Any taxes levied on them are simply business expenses and are passed on the the cunstomer. YOU pay all the taxes on corporations!
I don't know that you can, but I know when my job is replaced and I have to find another that pays less, I won't be contributing as much to the economy. So I'd rather pay more for goods with the assurance that the trade deals that are established ensure that workers are compensated fairly and the companies that hire them treat them well and aren't poisoning the environment for short-term gain.

I'm for fair trade, not "free" trade.
Free trade benefits corporations, not nations. The only thing it does for nations is dilute them all to a mass average. The current world average wage is $4 a day. Take 190 million or so American workers, average that into the wages of a few billion Bangaldeshis, Chinese, Vietnamese, Burmese and other assorted victims of corrupt or totalitarian governments, and that is your future.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

RE: I have a difficult time understanding when a company makes $17 biilion in sales,

Quote:
MS Fowler - 6/28/2005 5:54 AM

So how do you stop off-shoring without making the America consumer pay for it?
Import duties, tariffs, ets are simply extra taxes paid by the consumer.
Remember corporations and businesses do not pay taxes; Any taxes levied on them are simply business expenses and are passed on the the cunstomer. YOU pay all the taxes on corporations!
Businesses do pay taxes, that is the biggest canard ever foisted on the public. They come out of profits - the less taxes the bigger the profits. Tax policy also influences the decisions that are made.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

KV,
So are profits evil?
Do you work for profits? Are you evil? If your taxes were lower, couldn't you afford to charge less for your services? Isn't charging less for your services better for the public than the near-confiscatory rates you now charge?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1989 300 TE

Hum, I work for a company that is global and based in the Netherlands. Our company has recently outsourced my previous job and many other jobs to Manila. The reason for doing this is partially salary. We want to be the number one company in our industry and this move will help us close the gap. Everyone in my department whose job was outsourced either got another job in the company our outside the company and all are making more money now. If the government were to put the kind of restrictions that have been suggested. My company would probably pull out of the US all together. It is the one section of the company that drops us on the globally scale from 1st to 2nd or 3rd. A chain reaction has taken place and it isn’t something that our government can stop. The solution is not for the government to take action but for individuals to take action. Start that business or compete for a job that is satisfying either in stature of monetary.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

You know we seem to have become a bunch of lazy good for little SOB’s. Do you really think the government can stop the outsourcing of jobs to the global economy? What makes you think that the world wants to pay for US goods and services? Most of them are crap. We are no longer the leader in these areas, and our citizens don’t want to buy US products either. Maybe we could protest by not purchasing goods from companies that have outsourced. Yeah, that is the ticket. Don’t buy any more gas, or Pizza Hut, or just about anything you use the telephone to place an order or get service. Well, at least you can get bread and fresh veggies at the store right.

Its time for American’s to get off their arse’s and make a difference again. The world economy will pay premium prices for the best products and services. Ones that are top notch above the rest. Large portions of the jobs in this country are supplied by small businesses. If I were giving advise to a recent college grad or imminent graduate. Work for a small firm, but do a better job than anyone ever has before.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

I guess Toyota is suffering, because they have 4 plants in the USA and about to build another one in Canada. Even BMW has a Z plant in South Carolina.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:46 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I believe their plants are mostly automated and build here because of feer that the crazy idea that penalties will help will come to pass. They hope by having plants here, we will be kind to them. Also, for Toyota, land is much cheaper here than at home.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Quote:
Robschaef - 6/28/2005 11:46 PM

I believe their plants are mostly automated and build here because of feer that the crazy idea that penalties will help will come to pass. They hope by having plants here, we will be kind to them. Also, for Toyota, land is much cheaper here than at home.
Well, at least they did not build them in Mexico like our American companies. I always get a kick out of GMAC saying American made. That statement is true because Mexico is in Central America.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
MS Fowler - 6/28/2005 3:40 PM

KV,
So are profits evil?
Do you work for profits? Are you evil? If your taxes were lower, couldn't you afford to charge less for your services? Isn't charging less for your services better for the public than the near-confiscatory rates you now charge?
I don't think of them as evil, I am simply pointing out that few Americans understand the consequences of how money flows in a global economy. Corporations are simply engines for dividing up piles of cash derived from providing goods and services. The pile called "profit" is increasingly being invested outside of the United States. The pile called 'wages', which is money that circulates in the domestic, continually gets smaller, because corporations are successfully using globalization to decrease this part of their costs, while the wage earner is continually spending it on items that cause a great deal of this money to leave the country as well, thanks to 'free' trade. Meanwhile, no one overseas buys our stuff.

Government policy has an enormous influence on how this money flow is configured. Right now they are doing essentially nothing to stem the enormous outflow of capital from the US, the most of which is going to China and Saudi Arabia. China is using the money to build a military capable of invading Taiwan (which, once it happens, will cause a worldwide economic meltdown due to the fact we have given the Chinese such a central position in the world economy), and an economy in which the profits flow to totalitarian slave masters. Saudi Arabia, another glowing example of a free and open society, is currently in the process of taking over the world financial systems, so we can all be slaves too. Now, tell me why it is a bad idea to get more of this money flowing within the US. Then tell me how allowing mass amounts of money to flow to fascist dictatorships is "free" trade.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
MS Fowler - 6/28/2005 3:40 PM

KV,
So are profits evil?
Competition and market conditions set prices more than taxes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in