Incredible Supreme Court ruling is a victory for the New Fascist State - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:45 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: Incredible Supreme Court ruling is a victory for the New Fascist State

Found this in search of something else.

http://www.illinoisleader.com/news/newsview.asp?c=11278

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 6/25/2005 11:45 AM

Found this in search of something else.

http://www.illinoisleader.com/news/newsview.asp?c=11278
What a coincidence. I was just reading a review of a book (and a semi-biography of the author) in which the following was written. Uh, not an American author, BTW.

----

Although only a few pages long, the preface is valuable for three things. It reminds us straightaway—this emerges as a theme of the book—that Marxist doctrine, by calling for the abolition of private property and the more or less total subordination of the market to state control, provided “a good blueprint for converting human society into a giant concentration camp.� (“[T]he abolition of the market,� Kolakowski comments elsewhere, “means a gulag society.�)

Kolakowski also makes the important point that, notwithstanding the collapse of the Soviet Union, Marxism is still eminently worth studying, not least because its aspirations continue to percolate in the dreams of various utopian planners. (You needn’t go to China or even Cuba: just look at the increasingly pink and authoritarian complexion of the European Union.) Moreover, as Kolakowski puts it in his introduction to My Correct Views on Everything,

Communism was not the crazy fantasy of a few fanatics, nor the result of human stupidity and baseness; it was a real, very real part of the history of the twentieth century, and we cannot understand this history of ours without understanding communism. We cannot get rid of this specter by saying it was just “human stupidity,� or “human corruptibility.� The specter is stronger than the spells we cast on it. It might come back to life.

----

Here's the link. Looks like a good book.

http://www.newcriterion.com/archive/23/jun05/leszek.htm
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Quote:
Botnst - 6/25/2005 8:42 AM

What subject? The majority of justices, save one, are the justices that voted AGAINST installing Bush (a ruling BTW, with which I disagreed).

The justices that voted against Bush (except one) voted FOR seizing private property. Put another way, the justices that favor state control of private property voted against Bush (save one).

Anything to help.
Ya know, I couldn't help but notice the same damned thing. What kind of F'ed up country is this turning into anyway? Fascists to the left, fascists to the right -- Jeezus -- it's starting to remind me of Spy vs. Spy...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
GermanStar - 6/25/2005 3:18 PM
...Fascists to the left, fascists to the right --
And here I am
Stuck in the middle with you.
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Joe,
I don't see how my post can be interpreted to say that some are blaming Bush.
What I have been trying to point out, perhaps inelegantly, is that the Bush haters are so worried about his facsist state that they ignore the loss of rights that comes from the leftists. Their fighting against Bush makes them allied with the left wing of the dem party and thats the group that stole our right to property in this ruling.
I am concerned about loss of rights no matter whom is to blame. This is something on which all of us should agree; the rights huaranteed in the Constitution are under attack by the party of government--both dems and repubs. There needs to be a forum where we can register our disapproval and force the Court to recant this ruling.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 02:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
MS Fowler - 6/25/2005 4:00 PM

Joe,
What I have been trying to point out, perhaps inelegantly, is that the Bush haters are so worried about his facsist state that they ignore the loss of rights that comes from the leftists. Their fighting against Bush makes them allied with the left wing of the dem party and thats the group that stole our right to property in this ruling.
I am concerned about loss of rights no matter whom is to blame. This is something on which all of us should agree; the rights huaranteed in the Constitution are under attack by the party of government--both dems and repubs. There needs to be a forum where we can register our disapproval and force the Court to recant this ruling.
Amen, brother. Say it like it is.
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Quote:
Joe Bauers - 6/25/2005 10:30 AM

Curiously, the right-leaning posters are arguing that the lefties are blaming Bush for this outrageous ruling. But in reading the posts, I do not find Bush being blamed. What I do find is a general disgust with this latest example in the trend to curtail the rights of the citizenry in favor of corporate America. KV mentioned that this was the court that appointed Bush to the presidency, and this is true. But it was MS Fowler and tiggerfink who suggested that Bush was being blamed, when, in fact, he was not.

The idea that the left is blaming Bush for this one was brought up by two posters who are decidedly to the right of the political spectrum on this forum. They are trying to change the subject.

Joe B.
I guess you are blind that the creator of this post is always blaming Bush and the republicans of creating a fascist state. I just find it amusing that that it was the liberal justices that voted to take away our property for private use and make someone else richer.

And I am not on the far right on this forum, because I believe in abortions, gay marriages, and the right to die.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

So your amused that kvining isn't as biased as you assumed?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005

Quote:
Botnst - 6/25/2005 11:42 AM

Quote:
Joe Bauers - 6/25/2005 11:30 AM

Curiously, the right-leaning posters are arguing that the lefties are blaming Bush for this outrageous ruling. But in reading the posts, I do not find Bush being blamed. What I do find is a general disgust with this latest example in the trend to curtail the rights of the citizenry in favor of corporate America. KV mentioned that this was the court that appointed Bush to the presidency, and this is true. But it was MS Fowler and tiggerfink who suggested that Bush was being blamed, when, in fact, he was not.

The idea that the left is blaming Bush for this one was brought up by two posters who are decidedly to the right of the political spectrum on this forum. They are trying to change the subject.

Joe B.
What subject? The majority of justices, save one, are the justices that voted AGAINST installing Bush (a ruling BTW, with which I disagreed).

The justices that voted against Bush (except one) voted FOR seizing private property. Put another way, the justices that favor state control of private property voted against Bush (save one).

Anything to help.
I agree with what you said about the Court--but the subject of the thread was the ruling about eminent domain. I was merely pointing out that no one had actually blamed Bush for this ruling, yet some posters were suggesting precisely that--just to stir the pot and sidetrack the discussion.

I agree with GermanStar--to those who truly value the Constitution, this Court is very hard to figure. The conservative judges, who presumably would champion state's rights, vote to overrule a state court and appoint Bush to the presidency. The liberal judges, who presumably would champion individual rights, vote to uphold corporate rights over individual rights. Go figure.

Joe B.
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005

Quote:
MS Fowler - 6/25/2005 4:00 PM

Joe,
I think you may be right--I guess my comment should have been directed more to tiggerwhat'shis name, who started with the "you Bush haters must really feel threatened," or some such crap.

The fact that KV or anyone else has been an adamant Bush critic should be irrelevant to this thread, since he did not invoke his dislike of Bush in critiquing the Court decision.

I agree with your point that the Court decision defies a simple left/right paradigm. And I also agree that a loss of rights, whether it stems from the right or left, is something we all ought to be concerned with.

Joe B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in