post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '85 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm gonna get you, sucka!

Take a look at what our fine Georgia lawmakers are getting worked-up about now!

Pot Inspired Candy Hits Area Stores
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- Raspberry, butterscotch, sour apple ... and pot?

Marijuana-flavored lollipops may seem an unlikely product, but sugary treats with weed-inspired flavors such as Purple Haze, Acapulco Gold and Rasta are appearing on the shelves of convenience stores and smoke shops nationwide.

Marketers call them a harmless novelty. Anti-drug advocates say the candies encourage people, particularly teens and young children, to smoke pot.

“This kind of thing is reprehensible,� said state Sen. Vincent Fort, an Atlanta lawmaker who has organized demonstrations against the candy. “It’s nothing but dope candy and that’s nothing we need to be training our children to do.�

Several companies offer an array of lollipops, gum drops and other candies flavored with hemp oil, which gives the sweets an oily, grassy taste marketers say is similar to the flavor of smoking marijuana—but with none of the narcotic effects.

While the candies have caught the attention of government and law enforcement officials across the country, there’s nothing even questionable about their legality. Hemp oil is used in products ranging from health food to beauty supplies.

And all the companies contend their candies are geared toward adults and that they advise retailers to sell the candy only to people 18 and older.

“There are more than 70 million people in the United States who smoke marijuana. We’re catering to the audience of people who are in that smoking culture,� said Rick Watkins, marketing director for Corona, Calif.-based Chronic Candy, which uses the slogan:

“Every lick is like taking a hit.�

The company’s Web site features an endorsement from rapper and producer Warren G. The site also includes photos of rapper Snoop Dogg wearing a Chronic Candy cap and actor Vern Troyer—Mini Me from the “Austin Powers� movies—eating one of the lollipops.

Hydro Blunts, which was founded in Corona, Calif., and now has its main distribution center in Atlanta, markets marijuana-flavored Kronic Kandy, which is advertised as “a favorite among people who enjoy smoking blunts/cigars.�

“Basically, our Kronic Kandy is part of a lifestyle, like hip hop and rap music,� said Tony Sosa, head of Hydro Blunts.

But Sosa claims another market as well.

“In our research we have found our Kronic Kandy is mostly used by customers trying to kick the habit of using the illegal drug marijuana,� said Sosa, whose company also sells flavored rolling papers. “It has the flavor and essence, without any of the pharmacological ingredients.�

Critics don’t buy that argument, citing the kind of marketing on Chronic Candy’s Web site, which shows video of people apparently smoking marijuana and a warehouse with hundreds of marijuana plants.

“It’s pretty clear to see what they’re trying to appeal to,� said Pat Shea, of Cary, N.C., Southeast program director for the anti-drug DARE program. “They want to appeal to the wannabe’s. We always say that the wannabe’s are going-to-be’s.�

In New York City, councilwoman Margarita Lopez said she saw the candy popping up at convenience stores near schools in her district, which includes the city’s Lower East Side and East Village.

“It was something that exploded in front of my eyes,� said Lopez, a Democrat who is chairwoman of the council’s committee on mental health and substance abuse.

She has introduced a resolution condemning the candies, and plans to hold hearings on the subject this summer.

“The whole logic they use to talk about the candy not being marketed to young people is just baloney,� Lopez said. “We know what they are doing and what they are doing is glorifying substance abuse.�

In Georgia, Fort—a Democrat—says his community demonstrations have persuaded several convenience store companies to remove the product from their shelves. He’s working on legislation addressing the candies, but says he’s not sure whether government officials can ban the sale of a product that doesn’t actually contain a controlled substance.

The city council in Douglasville, a suburb west of Atlanta, recently passed a resolution voicing its opposition to the candies.

“This is nowhere near something we want for our kids,� said Mayor pro-tem Henry Mitchell III, who sponsored the resolution after hearing complaints from constituents.

At Junkman’s Daughter, an eclectic novelty shop in Atlanta’s Little Five Points shopping district, the suckers are sold from a plastic bucket with a marijuana leaf on its label. The bucket is separate from other candies and sits near a cash register on an elevated counter that would be too high for children to reach.

Owner Pam Majors said she considers the item a novelty like many of the other gifts the store sells—from Elvis Presley Pez dispensers and hula lamps to action figures of the rock band KISS.

“We’ve got probably every weird kind of candy there is in here,� said Majors, who says she hasn’t heard customer complaints about the hemp candy. “If it was anything you could get high off of, we wouldn’t carry it, obviously.�

Sosa said Kronic Kandy, which is made in the Netherlands, is available in stores all over the country. He said he’s open to working with government and community leaders to make sure it’s sold only to adults, but feels unfairly attacked.

“Our candy is 100 percent legal,� Sosa said. “It’s FDA-approved and kosher.�

(Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

'85 300TD Pastel Beige
361,500 miles and counting
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:51 PM
worst mod in BW history
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: I'm gonna get you, sucka!

Wild. I get the feeling they are goading the tight-ass politicians for some free pub. I'm thinking of putting out a line of undergarments aimed at the 5 to 15 year old demographic called CHILD F**KER UNDERWEAR. I even have a quirky logo. On the front panel are stitched the words AMBER ALERT.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130

ThrillKill - 6/18/2005 3:51 PM

Wild. I get the feeling they are goading the tight-ass politicians for some free pub. I'm thinking of putting out a line of undergarments aimed at the 5 to 15 year old demographic called CHILD F**KER UNDERWEAR. I even have a quirky logo. On the front panel are stitched the words AMBER ALERT.
omg! hahahahaha

as to the article.. sure it may not be appropriate at all times but if you don't want it get you a tootsie roll instead.. no need to take it off the shelf though..

in political asylum
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj

mzsmbs - 6/19/2005 6:45 AM

omg! hahahahaha

as to the article.. sure it may not be appropriate at all times but if you don't want it get you a tootsie roll instead.. no need to take it off the shelf though..
I think that the idea of prohibition is to put the ideas out of peoples minds that weed associated products are in any way a delight or a part of daily life. Its not the candy itself but the mental assoiciation that gets built up as typical experience. This distinction puts many products below awareness and keeps real candy as the main product.

Rest assured that if it was a free and open market that candy needles and chocolate bongs would crowd the shelf too, then sex toys and other edibles would follow. I dont think this Emu is going to fly.

Modz ... enjoy the difference. www.benzmodz.com
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: